Toast The Very Definition Of Courage

Remove this Banner Ad

494828188-600x400.jpg

Aung San Suu Kyi

As I type on an online internet forum, people nowadays are far too inundated with an abundance of insignificance to focus on real issues. [/irony]

forgive me while I get deep (ladies?) but this seems like a good place to drop a quote from this book i'm reading...

Life today (not life as it should be carried on) is an idle cyclical action -- a movement with no goal! A meaningless pendular action starts with the day only to end at night and night starts only to disappear at dawn.

• Banned
I worry about her. Why has the military govt let her out now? Her release may take some of the focus from the latest joke of an election but she will be vulnerable to any confrontation now. Every person in the country bar the army and its cronies believe she is the answer to Myanmar's problems. No pressure there much.

Wouldn't be surprised if she gets locked up again, question is when? Just before the next election, on some made up corruption charges? Don't forget she probably won the 1991 election.

Recent Myanmar "election" was heavily criticised internationally as fraudulent, with many opposition parties not even contesting the vote (not saying they were "influenced" into withdrawal ... ).

Releasing her gives the military an argument to those questioning Myanmar's path to democracy.

All smoke and mirrors by the military.

However time will tell, maybe she could replicate Mandela, and go from prisoner to President. As Mandela said, "After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb."

If I was her I wouldn't be hanging around. I would get out as quick as I could. Way to dangerous for her to stay there if you ask me.

Toad man, a few years back she was offered conditional release if she went to another country, the "advantage" being that she would see her husband (who lived in that other country) before he died

She refused, and never saw her husband before he died

Yep, I'd be out of there in a flash (even if my family lived there, but hey, that's just me). As for Ann San Suu Kyi leaving ... wouldn't put a cent on it

Myanmar democracy leader Suu Kyi's son given visa

Nyan Win, a lawyer for Suu Kyi, said Monday that Kim Aris had been granted a visa after several weeks waiting in neighboring Thailand.

The 33-year-old Aris lives in Britain and last saw his mother in December 2000. He has repeatedly been denied visas ever since by the ruling junta. Suu Kyi had been under house arrest much of that time, and unwilling to leave her homeland for fear she would not be let back in to continue her political struggle.

Myanmar democracy leader Suu Kyi's son given visa

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back