Things for Brad Scott to do...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
Agree with most of it - except the bit about Swallow's kicking, as it has improved a lot, and the bit about the key defender as Grima is the man for that job, with Hansen and Thompson back there as well.

By CHARLES HAPPELL

As a North Melbourne supporter, can I ask you to bear with me a minute while I indulge in a few Roo-related observations? First, a hearty well done to the NMFC board: the choice of Brad Scott as coach – from my vantage point, at least – was an inspired one. If he fails at Arden St, it won’t be for lack of effort or because he hasn’t done his homework. From all reports, he is as driven (read: feral) as a coach as he was as a Brisbane player and I like the sound of that.

Now that I’ve buttered him up, here’s how I’d like him to do his job. In eight easy lessons. Starting from the top:

1) Inject some speed, any speed, into the midfield. For years, the Kangas have had half a dozen Massey Fergusons churning through the centre square – Adam Simpson, Daniel Harris, Brady Rawlings, Andrew Swallow and Ed Lower among them. On big grounds, on dry tracks, they get found out time and time again. So recruit, or trade for, some speed. Please, as a priority.

2) Get Daniel Wells fit and, while you’re at it, give Jesse Smith a massive overhaul – new spark plugs, pistons, crankshaft, the lot. And if he breaks down one more time, pack him off to the junkyard. Our patience has just about worn out. And when you’ve got Wells fit, and his mind right, stick him in the middle with Brent Harvey and Leigh Harding. That ought to spark the joint up a bit.

3) Tell David Hale, Hamish McIntosh and Corey Jones you love them. Go on, whisper it into their ears. They are boys that need a bit of TLC – not the lambasting that regularly used to come their way from your predecessor – and hopefully they will soon be cooing sweet nothings back at you.

4) Find one big, experienced body to hold down a key defensive post. From somewhere. It is unfair to ask Scott Thompson to hold down full-back, and Nathan Grima, Levi Greenwood, Scott McMahon and Lachie Hansen – who’ve played about 20 games between them – to take care of the other defensive positions. This is drafting priority No.2: a key backman.

5) Develop a game plan that does not revolve entirely around negating your upcoming opponent. No matter how good you are at that reactive style of coaching, it’s no good for the players’ development. They don’t know from week to week what their roles are going to be. Develop your own style and flair, like Matthew Knights has at Essendon, and let other teams worry about you. Getting the ball down quickly to Hale, Lachie Hansen, Lindsay Thomas, Matt Campbell and Ben Warren has got to yield better results than the 10-goal borefests we were subject to this season.

6) Offload Aaron Edwards and Shannon Watt. And Hale if he has another dog of a season. (Todd Goldstein shapes as a readymade replacement.) That sounds ruthless but sorry – time’s up, guys.

7) Teach Sam Power, Andrew Swallow and Brady Rawlings (although it might be a bit late for that now) to kick. At least Adam Simpson’s gone now, so you won’t have to watch his helicopter imitations from the coach’s box.

8) Replace Brent Harvey as captain with Drew Petrie. For all his qualities as a player, Harvey is not captaincy material. He doesn’t seem to enjoy it and his form has been patchy, at best, this year. Give the job to big Drewie and let Boomer do his thing, unencumbered by the leadership, in the engine room.

That should just about do it for the moment, Scotty. Hope that’s of some help. But, listen, I’m only a phone call away. Just call the switchboard at TTD and they’ll know where to find me.

Most of it's fair enough.

But :
a) Swallow's kicking has been the least of our problems this year
b) Sam & Brady aren't about to learn how to kick
c) Harsh call re Boomer's captaincy, it's hardly a sign he can't do the job that he copped a major injury.

That is hilarious that he says Boomer shouldn't be captain due to patchy form but should be replaced by Petrie.

Swallow is one of the most improved kicks ever. Never coughs the ball up and is our most reliable kick for goal.

I wonder if Brad will have any influence on selection over the next two weeks.
Not in an official capacity obviously, but if he and Donald commence their list managemnt discussions today, for arguments sake, and he says that he wouldn't mind one more look at Riggio and Lower, would Donald speak to Crock about it, or is this too much to ask?

If by x-factor not being able to kick 40+ and if he drops a mark is pretty useless then yeah, sure, he has an x-factor.

I would like to add the following :
Spend off season getting Hamish, Goldy and Hale to hold their marks - one grab. &

Get Umpires Advisor down to explain the marking rule - We get pinged for early shoves and "In the backs" yet our opposition "only hold their ground or use their strength".

By CHARLES HAPPELL

3) Tell David Hale, Hamish McIntosh and Corey Jones you love them. Go on, whisper it into their ears. They are boys that need a bit of TLC – not the lambasting that regularly used to come their way from your predecessor – and hopefully they will soon be cooing sweet nothings back at you.

6) Offload Aaron Edwards and Shannon Watt. And Hale if he has another dog of a season. (Todd Goldstein shapes as a readymade replacement.)
David, I love you buddy. But f@#% up one more time, and you're outa here. Because I love Todd too. More maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1) Trade/delist Watt, Harro, Jones, Edwards and Power - Time to get some quality on the list.

2) Either play Hale as second ruck or trade

3) Get JWS and Tarrant on the park.

4) Work on kicking and fitness.

5) Put Hansen down back, where he plays his best footy.

6) Draft some classy, quick midfielders. One developing ruck if Hale is traded. Draft a key defender and forward. I'm hoping 1st pick is a forward or mid.

1. Bring the team up to Collingwood fitness levels.
2. Introduce a drilled running game.
3. Introduce and strictly enforce a team rule against kicking to outnumbered contests.
4. De-list anyone who's attack on the ball is anything less than ferocious

1) Trade/delist Watt, Harro, Jones, Edwards and Power - Time to get some quality on the list.

2) Either play Hale as second ruck or trade

3) Get JWS and Tarrant on the park.

4) Work on kicking and fitness.

5) Put Hansen down back, where he plays his best footy.

6) Draft some classy, quick midfielders. One developing ruck if Hale is traded. Draft a key defender and forward. I'm hoping 1st pick is a forward or mid.

Would agree with all of this, but our first pick, maybe even first 2 picks must be quick midfielders that can hit a target. This is a very big must!

The defender call was one of the worst IMO.
Between Grima, Thompson and even Hansen, i'm sure they can hold down the defence. It's been pretty clear that considering the amount of forward 50 entries the opposition has had this season, our defence has been incredible, and once our midfield gets their shit together, our defence will be spot on.
Sure you can keep drafting defenders until you get a team of 6 Scarlett's, but when Power and Rawlings are the people that are delivering the inside 50s to guys like David Hale- methinks there may be bigger concerns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Things for Brad Scott to do...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back