Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

My mum has a pool and I’m not a strong swimmer so lessons are a non negotiable for my kids, as much as I’d love my Saturday mornings back 😭

I’ve gotten myself into a pickle though. I’ve always said swimming lessons plus one other activity (sport/music/art whatever they want) is the maximum but now they’re both in swimming, soccer and dance. Plus the eldest wants to do cricket. They’ve only just started dance and it will crush them if they have to drop soccer 🤯🤯

My mum has a pool and I’m not a strong swimmer so lessons are a non negotiable for my kids, as much as I’d love my Saturday mornings back 😭

I’ve gotten myself into a pickle though. I’ve always said swimming lessons plus one other activity (sport/music/art whatever they want) is the maximum but now they’re both in swimming, soccer and dance. Plus the eldest wants to do cricket. They’ve only just started dance and it will crush them if they have to drop soccer 🤯🤯
Last year my son did football and soccer in winter (that's training Wednesday and Thursday, games, Saturday and Sunday), daughter did dance (also Wednesday) and they both maintained martial arts (Monday and/or Tuesday). That was a time.

11 and 9... one wants to take part in everything he can, the other has to be dragged kicking and screaming to activities for her own health, just to add to the fun factor.
Ahh both mine sound like your son. They want to try everything they can but it does get expensive (shoes, uniforms, admin fees etc) and I don't want them to be overscheduled. They're only 6 and 4.

My kids joined the swimming club for a few years, it was great for them fitness wise and it was really good doing the competitions because even if you weren’t a great swimmer but still beat your pb the kids felt good about themselves. Amazing how a few months of doing laps can transform a kids body and fitness.

Do you have a media room and a spa bath and a parents' retreat? :)

I have two rooms, the rest of the house i leave to Mrs PC so yes you could say media/mans toy room stuff
No spa but free standing bath
No parents retreat….kids are banned from our new house

My (now) 3 year old LOVED it from about 3 months until 18 months then over the course of about 3 lessons he just got over the repetition and games so we stopped.

He’s a stubborn little arseh*le
Just like his old man then :tearsofjoy:

Same with the grandie - she loved it for about 3 sessions and then kicked off every lesson after until she finally scored the win and her mum stopped taking her

I think the issue was that we have a pool which she absolutely loves but there is of course no structure, just fun and then have to do “lessons” and she was like stuff that

We will end up just throwing her in until she starts swimming
My daughter hated it for the first 6 weeks (circa 18 months at the time), then one week we got it in, there were no tears and she enjoyed the listen. She's nearly two now and she enjoys getting in and has so much fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s fun. And gives the old brain 🧠 a workout. It also becomes a personal challenge. There’s a thread for it.

Why do people like puzzles anyway? Or video games?

I like cryptic crosswords too (the easy ones 😉).

My daughter hated it for the first 6 weeks (circa 18 months at the time), then one week we got it in, there were no tears and she enjoyed the listen. She's nearly two now and she enjoys getting in and has so much fun.

(Old story but I shall tell it again) I nearly drowned when I was little and didn't like being in pools that much as a result. It wasn't until I was a bit older when I started getting used to it - the catch was the pool had to be heated and warm..... hated cold water even in summer lol.

I outgrew that phase, still not a Hasslehoff or Ian Thorpe in the water but I'll hop in (safely of course)

It’s fun. And gives the old brain 🧠 a workout. It also becomes a personal challenge. There’s a thread for it.

Why do people like puzzles anyway? Or video games?

I like cryptic crosswords too (the easy ones 😉).
Puzzles are awesome, but I’m now into paint by numbers

11 and 9... one wants to take part in everything he can, the other has to be dragged kicking and screaming to activities for her own health, just to add to the fun factor.
Sounds like my brother and I growing up. He was the extrovert wanting to be involved everything. As the introvert I had to be dragged. Camps were the worst for me. Hated them. Usually took along a few books and spent most of the time in the cabin/tent reading.

Went to a bookshop today, looked at some niche titles - Dymocks wanted $89.95 for them.
Can buy them on Amazon for $40-$50 lol.

Likewise some of the tshirt styles I used to buy back in the day ($25-$40) now being $50-$70.
Footy guernseys $79 - now $120 - $160 (depending on regular, clash/away/indigenous/long sleeve etc)

The price mark up on items is nuts.

My mum got jam donut flavoured ice-cream. I don't understand why someone thinks the world needs that flavour of ice-cream. I also don't understand how having had me and my sister try it that the two who like jam donuts didn't like it and then you have me that likes it but hates jam donuts.

My mum got jam donut flavoured ice-cream. I don't understand why someone thinks the world needs that flavour of ice-cream. I also don't understand how having had me and my sister try it that the two who like jam donuts didn't like it and then you have me that likes it but hates jam donuts.

That sounds alright to me to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back