This week's post-round Banter: Are the Red and Blue Cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Connar

Cancelled
May 29, 2012
Please disregard my posted thread following yesterday's match as I plan to cover Blogs or Podcasts for 2025 and beyond.

I'm writing this to you all about what I know is a pressuring time for the Red and Blue.

In 2022, at the start of the season, this side had Dynasty potential following a Flag 57 years in the making and went on to finish 2nd then only fell in straight sets in the hand of the Maroon, Blue and Gold.

It was this time last year in 2023, a fortnight after a shock loss against Purple and White they went on to knock off the Old Dark Navy Boys and had just got lucky against the Black and White and were on track for redemption. Then throughout the 2nd Half of the year, we saw another shock loss to the Navy Blue and White, an epic fightback win in the Semi-Final Rematch and were robbed four points in the second time against the old dark navy boys who happened to eliminated them in another straight sets exit a few weeks later.

Now, mid way through 2024, having won 7 Games at this stage as well as 6 losses and right outside the Top 8, they now require 5 or 6 more wins to guarantee September action and with the entire next month looking very favourable for the Red and Blue, can they still be there this September and potentially do some Damage?

I wish everyone at the Red and Blue all the very best for the remainder of 2024. They will be a Power side again.

Like most sides atm they rely on their best players playing well to dominate.

Outside of Gawn their best have been a bit up and down all year.

Melbourne have been crying out for a key forward for 3 years.
So there either too blind to see it or no-one wants to go there.
So who's out there for them to get..I've got it down to 4 possible targets.
1: Eric Hipwood
2: Mitch Lewis
3: Max King
4: Oscar Allan
The big question will be how much will it take to get one of those players??

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

5: Rory Lobb

Didn’t they have a crack at Tom Hawkins last year?

Might be worth trying the same with Taylor Walker.

what will they give up?

I don't know how anyone has watched us this year and still thinks that a KPF is going to solve all our problems. Its driving me insane. You could put prime Tony Lockett in there and he wouldn't be able to do shit.

Just look at Collingwood forward line on the weekend, I'd even argue that Melbourne's forward line is better but our gameplan and coaching for it is just flipping rooted

Melbourne aren't far away. Round 1-5 we saw Hawthorn awhul and Giants up there with Sydney, thats flipped and Haeks might make finals.

There's a logjam and if you can get one arm up you can come top 4.

I think Melbourne are only one or two blokes away from flipping the switch. It might be the coach and/or a forward, it might be some unheralded kids to come up.

They are playing injured blokes (May hobbling, Petracca wasn't right even before the bounce) which is not a high percentage move.

As long as they have Gawn they will be a threat, but he needs a system around him. Kosi had 6 or more shots, I think he was 1.3 by half time. They had bad luck and looked sluggish, but they weren't beaten until the third quarter.

Plenty of quality. Balance is off. I honestly think they aren't far off.

Also maybe Im stroking the Magpie ego a bit "no! Melbourne are good, our win means something!"

Remove this Banner Ad

This week's post-round Banter: Are the Red and Blue Cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back