Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Please be mindful of the DT&FA rules when posting here, in particular those regarding personal attacks on other posters and trolling.

Derogatory remarks about Tim’s children will likewise not be tolerated.

After a ridiculously drawn out period of speculation, Tim Kelly has finally come out of contract and again requested a trade to West Coast.

Previous editions of this thread linked below

2018: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/tim-kelly-exploring-trade-options-home-to-west-coast.1193932/

2019, Part 1: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/tim-kelly-requested-a-trade-to-west-coast.1214892/

Kelly was contracted last year and you offered 25, 30 and 40

Those picks were after trades. We turned 20 and 22 into 28, 31, 35 and 24 this year. We had to give up 51 this year as part of that.

So from our perspective we could have had:

Tim Kelly and pick 51 (2020)

or

28, 31, 35, 24 (2020), 33 (2020)

Getting in early

Gee posters - top 10 pick

WCE posters - 14 and 22

Freo posters - eh maybe

Gee posters - send him to the draft

WCE posters - but last year we offered four elephants

Gee posters - only three elephants offered. Fact.

WCE posters - but Dangerfield

Gee posters - not the same

WCE poster - he's not that good

Gee posters - he's like Wayne Carey but a mid

Normal WCE posters - two firsts, maybe a second with something coming back

Normal Gee posters - OK done

Getting in early

WCE posters - 14 and 22

Freo posters - eh maybe

Gee posters - send him to the draft

WCE posters - but last year we offered four elephants

Gee posters - only three elephants offered. Fact.

WCE posters - but Dangerfield

Gee posters - not the same

WCE poster - he's not that good

Gee posters - he's like Wayne Carey but a mid

Haha loves the elephants reference.

It was definitely 4...

Getting in early

Quality bantz

But genuine question - you pose "top 10 pick" as appropriate for Kelly

That's less than what you post as "normal WC posters".

I'm sure we could generate a pick in the top 10 with two firsts and have change left over

Say we have pick 14 and pick 18 (next years first)

That equates to somewhere between pick 3 and 4.

So if we said pick "7" as the top 10 which is what Freo could offer. Picks 14 and Picks 18 would then need Pick 36 back to equalise

Ie Our first this year and first next year for Geelong's second next year

Most WC supporters would be ok with that.

For mine the obvious and cleanest position is simply the two firsts - I wouldn't have said that last year - but he has delivered a high quality season.

Quality bantz

I'm sure we could generate a pick in the top 10 with two firsts and have change left over

So if we said pick "7" as the top 10 which is what Freo could offer. Picks 14 and Picks 18 would then need Pick 36 back to equalise

For mine the obvious and cleanest position is simply the two firsts - I wouldn't have said that last year - but he has delivered a high quality season.

I don't think a top 10 pick is appropriate, I think two firsts are the go. If we want to try to turn those picks into a top 10 pick, that is up to us. Asking WCE to turn them into a top 10 pick is just making things difficult.

Quality bantz

The points argument never holds water because we are after A grade players not points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone explain to me how this isn't the same as the Dangerfield situation? Legit question.
Simple! Kelly is uncontracted but NOT a free agent. Dangerfield was a restricted free agent

Quality bantz

Our picks in the teens over the last decade include cameron thurlow, billie smedts, darcy lang. you can see why we think kelly is worth more than two of those.

But that was irrelevant because Adelaide matched the bid. He became an uncontracted player rather than a free agent as soon as that occurred.

Sort of, they said they would match it, no paperwork was lodged. But essentially yes, he became an uncontracted player.

Can someone explain to me how this isn't the same as the Dangerfield situation? Legit question.

In short because of the RFA, Adelaide stood to gain pick 14 as compo - so we just had to offer more than pick 14 not full trade value. No serious Geelong poster thinks we paid fair value for Dangerfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back