Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just as an example ( a million different permutations...

2020 1st + 33 gets Dogs 13 (maybe with 48 back)

13,14 + 24 goes very close to 3,4 or 5
Would you offer that on draft night for pick 6 if Geelong sent TK to the draft? Say it’s pick 6 and Bell says to WC, we’re going to take him with this pick but you can have this pick for 13, 14 & 24? I’d personally love to do that trade in that scenario.

Would you offer that on draft night for pick 6 if Geelong sent TK to the draft? Say it’s pick 6 and Bell says to WC, we’re going to take him with this pick but you can have this pick for 13, 14 & 24? I’d personally love to do that trade in that scenario.

I would if it meant getting Kelly or not. But it aint up to me, and I really don't think it gets anywhere near that far.

Both clubs have had 12 months to work out all the permutations, they all know where they stand and how far they can push it

No if he was considering Fremantle he would say "while I prefer WC the priority is to play in WA" or the even crazier "I'm willing to consider Fremantle but prefer WC."

"No issue with Freo but prefer WC" is pretty blatant. Especially when he won't go into the why he prefers WC publically.

Well they have to the extent that Caitlin lamented the lack of support they got from Geelong in Kelly's first year and this time around his manager has outlined why they think West Coast are better placed to provide the support they need. Whether that's the whole story or not is ...... another story.

You really need to get into your head that sometime dodgy thing happen in the last minute , eg eagle pick 18 for GC multiple second Rd pick in 2017 draft.

You really need to get into your head that st Kilda won't have pick 6 at the last minute. If they do then they won't have Brad Hill. The only reason that trade was concocted was a Geelong fan wanting a top 5 pick.

I wouldn't, but I said ages ago that if Kelly doesn't want Freo Bell should milk that if he ends up in the draft. I hope he doesn't, but it's not a bad play demanding on your draft targets. Could turn 6 into multiple picks.

You really need to get into your head that st Kilda won't have pick 6 at the last minute. If they do then they won't have Brad Hill. The only reason that trade was concocted was a Geelong fan wanting a top 5 pick.
Then you can always deal with Fremantle. You objective is getting Kelly not who win the trade. Still got a lot of Trade to go and plenty of possible swap pick scenario.

I wouldn't, but I said ages ago that if Kelly doesn't want Freo Bell should milk that if he ends up in the draft. I hope he doesn't, but it's not a bad play demanding on your draft targets. Could turn 6 into multiple picks.
That would be a huge price to pay; 14, 23, 33, 2020 first for Kelly + 48 (or whatever the original proposed trade was). Surely Geelong take that if it was offered to them and then they decide whether they go after the Bulldogs pick 13.

Blah blah blah.

West Coast looks after West Coast and we'll do the same thanks.

We should all be happy that a WA player was AA captain right? Things seem to change when west coast isn't the beneficiary.

I can't think of a single time the WA first way of thinking has helped Freo.

I am just glad that (it seems) that Freo & WCE don't think like you.

But the best situation for Geelong is to have both WCE and Fremantle making offers. We might not get 6 & 7 but if it's better than what WCE offer and Tim is willing to take it then that what Geelong will do.
You simply do not get it.

Freo and Eagles never ever get into a bidding war. There are so few players returning to WA that the club's make the best of a rare event.

If Freo were to put in a remidiclous bid in for Kelly then we would retaliate the next time a player returns to WA.

The club's have not done this in 25 years.

What part of this do you not understand.

That would be a huge price to pay; 14, 23, 33, 2020 first for Kelly + 48 (or whatever the original proposed trade was). Surely Geelong take that if it was offered to them and then they decide whether they go after the Bulldogs pick 13.

Which is the point in establishing the cost of the trade between Geel and WC. Both clubs would know exactly how far they can push it and how much leverage they actually have.

Essentially, they way I read it, future 1st + 14 + swap of other picks (24 for 36 or similar) is about where it sits...

Which is the point in establishing the cost of the trade between Geel and WC. Both clubs would know exactly how far they can push it and how much leverage they actually have.

Essentially, they way I read it, future 1st + 14 + swap of other picks (24 for 36 or similar) is about where it sits...
That might be the currency used but like GC did with Hawthorn for O’Meara, it sounds like Wells is going to make WC get that top 10 pick plus whatever on top to satisfy his ego.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess we have a difference of opinion. Because I think saying that opens the door immediately for Geelong to trade with Fremantle and I think Tim sees it (if he is even entertaining Freo as an option) as a backup option.
At no point did he say he was open to going to Freo. He said he didn’t have a problem with them as a club but he wanted to go to West Coast. Just as he doesn’t have a problem with Geelong but he wants to go to West Coast.

He’s going to West Coast.

That might be the currency used but like GC did with Hawthorn for O’Meara, it sounds like Wells is going to make WC get that top 10 pick plus whatever on top to satisfy his ego.

Egos are one things, but that's where they would know their limitations.... because pushing it too far and WC goes for 3,4 or 5 and Cats walk with nothing....

Won't get to that but that because these clubs are too smart.

I guess we have a difference of opinion. Because I think saying that opens the door immediately for Geelong to trade with Fremantle and I think Tim sees it (if he is even entertaining Freo as an option) as a backup option.

The backup plan is the Eagles trade for a pick under Freo mate.

Kelly gets to where he wants and Cats get nothing.

Wells knows it.

So get with reality and stop clutching at straws.

Geelong won't want to send Kelly to the draft, for one thing, teams will work the live draft to strengthen there hands. Fremantle would wait until pick 7 (they'll use St Kilda's pick 6 in the draft from the B. Hill trade.) and negotiate a settlement with WC. Freo have 6 & 7 and will have multiple options available as I'm hearing the draft is quite even after pick 5 to about 30.

The backup plan is the Eagles trade for a pick under Freo mate.

Kelly gets to where he wants and Cats get nothing.

Wells knows it.

So get with reality and stop clutching at straws.

Calm down. It'll work itself out. Not to sure people will be trading away from a top 4 pick as easily as you're thinking though.

People going on and on about Freo being mentioned in Kelly's statement (which is a nothing statement IMO), but not mentioning how Kelly said:

"well, I guess I am a pretty important player, they have every right to expect a good trade and here's hoping it gets done."

That part is far more important to me, as it states that he's not as unhappy with Geelong as people like to spruik. Also means that it doesn't sound like anyone, from either side, is trying to 'bend them over', as people like to imagine. Sounds like Geelong know what they want, and that WC are on the same page. Tim is pretty much assured that it should get done, and we'll all have a Merry Christmas.

The Freo statement is just him not publicly potting another team, and leaving the door open enough for him not to be completely out of options (if the very unlikely draft option ever becomes a possibility). He still prefers West Coast and that's where he wants to go. I think Peter Ryan's article is the best bipartisan summation that I've read all year - for any who are interested (open in incognito mode to bypass the paywall).

Last edited:
'Good trade' is a matter of opinion.

A good trade from a player's perspective is one that goes through. Has anyone asked Kelly how he rates himself in trade value?

Mmm I don't think the wording implies that.

If he said 'I have every right to expect a good trade (one that goes through) and here's hoping it gets done, then that makes sense in that context.

What he actually said was 'they have every right to expect a good trade' (implying something that matches perceived value) and here's hoping it gets done (to the satisfaction of everyone).

A good trade for us isn't just one that goes through. That's a good trade for him and West Coast. A good trade for us is one that reflects the value that we see in him (a 'pretty important player' - as he referred to himself with a cheeky tinge of arrogance, haha).

I see that exchange as highly positive for both clubs, as it doesn't communicate any animosity on either side. It shows that both sides know what the other wants, and that there's a quiet confidence from his camp and WC that it'll get done - otherwise he wouldn't have been so forthright in his communication of WC as his preference/wouldn't have been so forthcoming with his comments regarding Geelong getting a 'good trade.'

There'll be some to and fro, but nothing like what has been suggested on BF.

Mmm I don't think the wording implies that.

If he said 'I have every right to expect a good trade (one that goes through) and here's hoping it gets done, then that makes sense in that context.

What he actually said was 'they have every right to expect a good trade' (implying something that matches perceived value) and here's hoping it gets done (to the satisfaction of everyone).

A good trade for us isn't just one that goes through. That's a good trade for him and West Coast. A good trade for us is one that reflects the value that we see in him (a 'pretty important player' - as he referred to himself with a cheeky tinge of arrogance, haha).

I see that exchange as highly positive for both clubs, as it doesn't communicate any animosity on either side. It shows that both sides know what the other wants, and that there's a quiet confidence from his camp and WC that it'll get done - otherwise he wouldn't have been so forthright in his communication of WC as his preference/wouldn't have been so forthcoming with his comments regarding Geelong getting a 'good trade.'

There'll be some to and fro, but nothing like what has been suggested on BF.
Fortunately or unfortunately for the trade, Wells has set expectations by publicly stating that the Eagles ‘first round picks this year and next year won’t get it done’ and ‘two top 10 picks would be ‘nice.’

I think the fair trade for both sides is two first round picks, one in the top 10 this year. Anything less than this then I’d be pretty pissed off after hearing him say what he’s said in the past week.

Fortunately or unfortunately for the trade, Wells has set expectations by publicly stating that the Eagles ‘first round picks this year and next year won’t get it done’ and ‘two top 10 picks would be ‘nice.’

I think the fair trade for both sides is two first round picks, one in the top 10 this year. Anything less than this then I’d be pretty pi**ed off after hearing him say what he’s said in the past week.

He's a pretty 'dry' fellow Wells. He said 'two top 10 picks would be nice' as in 'gee...that'd be a bit of 'orright.' He said that similar players have gone for that, but I would think that the expectation on his part would be one Top 10 pick and Pick 14/Future 1st. Doesn't require too much manoeuvring from West Coast, and pretty much guarantees that both parties will be satisfied.

If we could somehow get Sydney's Pick 5, Freo's likely Pick 6 or 7, North's Pick 8 or Carlton's Pick 9 so we can get Jackson, Flanders or Kemp, I wouldn't care what else we ended up with. 5-9 and 14/Future 1st, for Kelly and 36/future 2nd is my optimal trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back