Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a pretty 'dry' fellow Wells. He said 'two top 10 picks would be nice' as in 'gee...that'd be a bit of 'orright.' He said that similar players have gone for that, but I would think that the expectation on his part would be one Top 10 pick and Pick 14/Future 1st. Doesn't require too much manoeuvring from West Coast, and pretty much guarantees that both parties will be satisfied.

If we could somehow get Sydney's Pick 5, Freo's likely Pick 6 or 7, North's Pick 8 or Carlton's Pick 9 so we can get Jackson, Flanders or Kemp, I wouldn't care what else we ended up with. 5-9 and 14/Future 1st, for Kelly and 36/future 2nd is my optimal trade.
That sounds fair, just up to West Coast to come up with that 5-9 pick.

Noob here (first post) so apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before...

When uncontracted players have nominated their preferred destination club, has it ever eventuated that they didn't get to said club?

Mmm I don't think the wording implies that.

If he said 'I have every right to expect a good trade (one that goes through) and here's hoping it gets done, then that makes sense in that context.

What he actually said was 'they have every right to expect a good trade' (implying something that matches perceived value) and here's hoping it gets done (to the satisfaction of everyone).

A good trade for us isn't just one that goes through. That's a good trade for him and West Coast. A good trade for us is one that reflects the value that we see in him (a 'pretty important player' - as he referred to himself with a cheeky tinge of arrogance, haha).

I see that exchange as highly positive for both clubs, as it doesn't communicate any animosity on either side. It shows that both sides know what the other wants, and that there's a quiet confidence from his camp and WC that it'll get done - otherwise he wouldn't have been so forthright in his communication of WC as his preference/wouldn't have been so forthcoming with his comments regarding Geelong getting a 'good trade.'

There'll be some to and fro, but nothing like what has been suggested on BF.

Kelly handled himself well in the interview. He reaffirmed West Coast as his destination club, putting to rest the idea that he requested a trade "to Western Australia". He also made clear that he had no issues with Freo as a club, however that was not the club that he had chosen.

From the perspective of a player, a good trade is a completed trade. Players don't infer their own value from the exchange of picks between clubs. The determine value through the terms of their contracts.

Kelly's remarks about Geelong deserving a good trade is simply a truism. Every club deserves a trade which is equal in value to the player being traded. But value is a matter of subjectivity.

For instance, I don't think Kelly should be traded for two top tens (even if he nominated Freo) as per the Treloar trade. Treloar was 22 with 4 seasons of AFL under his belt and potential for another 7-8 minimum. I'm not entirely sure, but I also think Collingwood overestimated their own ladder position in 2016, resulting in a higher value draft pick being traded as a future first.

My expectation is that West Coast use 24/34 to obtain something between 10-13 and trade that with 14 for Kelly. Depending on the state of the relationship between West Coast and Geelong, the trade may also include Geelong 36 for next years 2nd rounder to get WC back in the 2nd round of this years draft.

That would also help Geelong as 36 no longer becomes available for Steven so ST Kilda can take 54 and take it or leave for Steven.

Noob here (first post) so apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before...

When uncontracted players have nominated their preferred destination club, has it ever eventuated that they didn't get to said club?

Yep. 3 times. Look up these players:

- Nick Stevens

- Luke Ball

...can't remember the 3rd, but there is a third one

Kelly handled himself well in the interview. He reaffirmed West Coast as his destination club, putting to rest the idea that he requested a trade "to Western Australia". He also made clear that he had no issues with Freo as a club, however that was not the club that he had chosen.

From the perspective of a player, a good trade is a completed trade. Players don't infer their own value from the exchange of picks between clubs. The determine value through the terms of their contracts.

Kelly's remarks about Geelong deserving a good trade is simply a truism. Every club deserves a trade which is equal in value to the player being traded. But value is a matter of subjectivity.

For instance, I don't think Kelly should be traded for two top tens (even if he nominated Freo) as per the Treloar trade. Treloar was 22 with 4 seasons of AFL under his belt and potential for another 7-8 minimum. I'm not entirely sure, but I also think Collingwood overestimated their own ladder position in 2016, resulting in a higher value draft pick being traded as a future first.

My expectation is that West Coast use 24/34 to obtain something between 10-13 and trade that with 14 for Kelly. Depending on the state of the relationship between West Coast and Geelong, the trade may also include Geelong 36 for next years 2nd rounder to get WC back in the 2nd round of this years draft.

That would also help Geelong as 36 no longer becomes available for Steven so ST Kilda can take 54 and take it or leave for Steven.
Good luck turning 24 & 34 into pick 10-13

A least one example of a player nominating for the draft when the two clubs could not make a deal.
Nobody has ever nominated a club and gone to another club called Fremantle just coz though.

Yep. 3 times. Look up these players:

- Nick Stevens

- Luke Ball

...can't remember the 3rd, but there is a third one

Ah right, of course I forgot about Stevens, Ball wanted to go to the Pies and eventually got there through the draft (other clubs not drafting him, though they could have)... so he ended up where he wanted to go.

Can anyone remember the 3rd one?

What’s your point? It’s a public forum. Do you have a problem with me posting in here?

No, it's just odd.

Usually you find people wanting to post on topics that actually have something to do with their club.

This thread is about Tim Kelly, so not sure why a Freo supporter would be so engaged. Especially considering he didn't nominate you in his trade request.

No, it's just odd.

Usually you find people wanting to post on topics that actually have something to do with their club.

This thread is about Tim Kelly, so not sure why a Freo supporter would be so engaged. Especially considering he didn't nominate you in his trade request.
I don’t find it odd but that’s something for you.

Ah right, of course I forgot about Stevens, Ball wanted to go to the Pies and eventually got there through the draft (other clubs not drafting him, though they could have)... so he ended up where he wanted to go.

Mitch Clark. Asked to be traded to Fremantle. Fremantle and Brisbane couldn’t agree on trade. Melbourne swooped in and convinced him to go there instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, it's just odd.

Not really odd

Geelong and the Victoria media are trying to strong arm Tim into considering Fremantle

Tim Kelly would be top 2 player in their team if that happened

Jade Rawlings wanted to go to North but Hawthorn and the Bulldogs did a deal to see him fall into the PSD where the Bulldogs took him at pick 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a fair deal would be a pick from 5-9 & 14. Not sure how WCE can get a pick in that range tho

I think a fair deal would be a pick from 5-9 & 14. Not sure how WCE can get a pick in that range tho

There is no way we can get a pick below 10, unless the deal was top ten this year and next years first.

Looks like Rawlings was an organised deal (cheers TP86) , but the third player I was thinking of was Scott Camporeale. Had an issue with Carlton, and opted for PSD to go to Essendon. Interesting that two of the three players involved Carlton, in the same time frame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back