Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Word on the street is if Freo be really, really nice to West Coast they'll pick up 3000 new members.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats not what the guy was saying.

He was saying if Freo cut off their own nose to spite the Eagles their supporters wont be happy about that as it really doesnt help Freo improve as much as it needs.

Freo get Kelly at the expense of their future just to get one over their big brother. Then the Eagles take their picks and land the three best WA kids in the draft and further secure sustained success.

By refusing to let him go until he is out of contract and then trying to get him to change the club he wants to go to. Like a post above states imagine if GC and Adelaide refused to let Ablett/Danger go to Geelong?

They were Free Agents.

TK is not.

How hard is this for people to understand?

They were Free Agents.

TK is not.

How hard is this for people to understand?

Ablett was not a Free Agent, he actually said he'd quit football if GC didn't trade him and he was contracted with GCS.

Dangerfield was a RFA and Adelaide matched Geelong's offer, so his Free Agency status meant nothing.

How hard is it to understand?

True, The early second pick 24 is quite strategic as it's an early second day selection. I think this year they are permitting managers to work through the night to avoid the early morning day 2 frenzy. Last year worked out well for us. I was really thinking out of self interest as there could be some WA players available at 24 like Rivers, Robertson or Jackson.

If we retain that 2920 1st after the Kelly trade somehow just watch us use that plus something to get either back into the 1st or early 2nd round.

Freo get Kelly at the expense of their future just to get one over their big brother.
I don't think that's the motive. If I could get a 25yo midfielder who had just placed fifth in the Brownlow, kicked 24 goals from midfield and had a 30+ touch, 3-goal game in a losing preliminary final for just pick 6, I'd do it regardless of whose nose it cut off.

The original post was over the top, in saying that there are also some murmurs that Tim Kelly is extremely unhappy with how Geelong has gone about managing his trade request in 2019.
If those murmers are true he would have a reason to be upset. He signed a contract and Geelong made him honour it because a suitable deal couldn't be done.
I believe Geelong went above and beyond to help him and his family out. Geelong gave him his chance and he should be greatful for that.
Would WCE really have picked him up with their next pick? Nobody really knows.
His shown his a first class athlete with how his gone about his business this year and hopefully a deal can be done this trade period.

I don't think that's the motive. If I could get a 25yo midfielder who had just placed fifth in the Brownlow, kicked 24 goals from midfield and had a 30+ touch, 3-goal game in a losing preliminary final for just pick 6, I'd do it regardless of whose nose it cut off.

Pick 6 alone is a win for Freo. The nuffie I was referring to stated he would use anything to land Kelly just to spite the Eagles. Such as 6 plus 7.

If those murmers are true he would have a reason to be upset. He signed a contract and Geelong made him honour it because a suitable deal couldn't be done.
I believe Geelong went above and beyond to help him and his family out. Geelong gave him his chance and he should be greatful for that.
Would WCE really have picked him up with their next pick? Nobody really knows.
His shown his a first class athlete with how his gone about his business this year and hopefully a deal can be done this trade period.

Dont be a fool.

Eagles were talking to Kelly all year and traded in 4 2nd round picks. If the Cats didnt jump in Kelly would have been at the Eagles likely instead of Ainsworth or Petrucelle. That is beyong dispute.

Geelong will not get two top 10 picks. A monkey can work that out.

Why?

Its very simple. The Eagles can trade in a pick just under Freo's for two top 10 picks and take Kelly in the draft and the Cats get zip.

So THATsets the benchmark Mr Wells. Dont ask for more than it would take to land Kelly another way.

What an absolute tool.

They won’t get two top ten picks because Fremantle wouldn’t be stupid enough to do that. What Fremantle would probably be smart to do irrespective of Kelly and Geelong is downgrade their picks to get more local players in the 10-25 bracket instead of the top Vic prospects.

Live trading adds a whole new layer to how trades work and clubs haven’t got their head around that just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By refusing to let him go until he is out of contract and then trying to get him to change the club he wants to go to. Like a post above states imagine if GC and Adelaide refused to let Ablett/Danger go to Geelong?
Refusing to let him go or the Eagles not offering a decent deal? Also after 1 year of service?? There is a big difference between Kelly and Ablett/Danger.

Kelly went into the draft in 2017 knowing that there was every chance he'd have to do 2 years interstate, and Geelong have held him to seeing out the contract. There's nothing terrible about that. Both Ablett and Danger were out of contract when they came to us, too - and IIRC Gold Coast did hold Gary to the final year of his contract.

The deal will go through IMO, no need to get too heated up about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. If you lose Kelly for nothing you lose his current value not what was paid two years ago.
It wont worry the cats about current value we are not dependent on a total rebuild, so if they the club feel strong enough about whats happening they will make the best decision, seems Eagles supporters are panicking about the deal

Id say they 100% would of. It surely is on the top of the cats and eagles list to get this done asap
Each club spend small time with each club, but you cant see all clubs in 1 day, Freo has even left for the day, so at best preliminary talks may have taken place at a basic level...

Both clubs probably havent even met today

All clubs get timeslots to sit down and chat with every other club.

Every club needs to speak to the media, either before or after.

Wells confirmed he would be talking to both WC and Freo about Kelly

Freo is the only team to have left so far and did not say anything to media on the way out

Nice dodge.

Are you in politics by any chance.

The media do not apply one rule for all. That is as plain as day. Again I ask name one player being criticised as much as Kelly for nominating a Vic club?

Just one will do.

Papely is using the media to get to Carlton on compassionate grounds. But you think that's fine. But Kelly's situation is not.

That my Blue Blooded friend is hypocracy on your behalf. Own it.

Once when Carlton was great supporters were proud of their arrogance. Wore it openly nd 'stuff the rest'.

You would honestly be served better having a conversation with yourself, because that's pretty much all you are doing. You absolutely refuse to acknowledge any points I've made, you are completely misquoting me and misrepresenting any and all ideas I've put forward. You are literally making things up as you go and pretending they are my views.

I am not going to attack you personally, I think your posting speaks for itself... your rhetoric and posting is utter drivel.

My thoughts on the matter at hand have been made perfectly clear, despite your attempts to redirect and completely misrepresent them. I am going to refuse to engage with you from now on, which I'm sure you'll take and protest as a 'win' for you. All the best :thumbsu::padlock:

Cats up ante in Kelly trade war
e1e167794fee3bd2da03d4871939c6fa

Alistair Paton
Jay Clark
Geelong wants more than two first-round draft picks in exchange for superstar midfielder Tim Kelly.
Kelly has requested a move to West Coast to be closer to family after two seasons at the Cattery.
While much of the discussion has focused on whether the Eagles will give up two first-round picks for Kelly, Geelong list manager Stephen Wells said the asking price was even higher.
"Tim is worth more than that," Wells said.
West Coast has picks 13, 22 and 31 in this year's draft and could also be forced to use a future first-round pick to seal the deal.
Fremantle has pick 6 and could get pick 5 from St Kilda for Brad Hill.
The Dockers want Kelly but the midfielder has nominated West Coast as his desired new home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back