Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not trading Yeo, Shuey, Darling etc. and guys like Petruccelle and Nelson really aren't that valuable.
I believe Petruccelle was being floated as a makeweight until the Rioli saga. Brander and Allen are, of course, the other potential steak knives.

Reminds me a bit of our Ottens trade, where we did lose a first-22 player at the time in Moloney. However, that was very different as Ottens was a rare commodity - Kelly is a better player, but mids are a dime a dozen.

sounds the ball's in West Coast's court to get it done. Explaining to Kelly that West Coast are unable to honor their commitment to him because the club isn't prepared to meet Geelong's demands would be an awkward conversation to have.
Kelly has left Geelong never to return. His doesn't have a contract. He has requested a trade to WC who would have met him and agreed to trading for him. His reasiongs are pesonal and valid.
WC will see value in him obviously, there will also be opportunity value in the picks they have or could trade for. While the cosl to trade is less that the opportunity cost they will trade. When not they will walk. The don't have to get anything done.

A lot of "can't see" going on.

Everyone knows what picks we have. 14, 24, 33, 2020 1st (1-18), 2020 2nd (19-36). Anyone who "can't see" a trade from that isn't looking very hard.

I like our list, but I don't see a bunch of players worth substantially more than the picks we have available. We're not trading Yeo, Shuey, Darling etc. and guys like Petruccelle and Nelson really aren't that valuable. A side trade for either would be lucky to get pick 36 from the Cats.

Hawthorn gave up Burton to get Wingard. Of course they didn't want him to go, and Burton didn't want to go, but they did it to get their man.

The Eagles probably needed to be a bit more creative here and had the last 12 months to figure something out, than to wait an entire year, knowing off a premiership that they are probably going to finish somewhere near the top and not have a pick under 10.

Everyone wants to keep their team intact, but to get top quality non free agents, you need to let something go. Even if Geelong doesn't want it.. they could have organised to trade Gaff somewhere else. Could have even let Gaff go last year to North Melbourne and get something nice in return for last year, plus their first round pick for this year. And there is your Kelly deal done. If West Coast don't have a plan in place here other than to show up with a bunch of picks in the teens and twenties, and say "this is all we have", it's a very arrogant or dumb approach.. I'm not sure which one.

The pick offerings would be the first stop, but surely they have a Plan B and Plan C.

I don't think so, I think Eagles is pretty smart and creative to get into GCS ears with trading your future 1 St for multiple second Rd. Just that you need to find another club that buy into what you offer that think like Clayton.

That trade was for our purposes as we had multiple targets around that range.

If a team will upgrade 14 and change into 8 or 9 or 10 then great, but it doesn't change the currency we have to start with. Trading 2 or 3 or 4 picks via third party to Geelong might make Geelong warm and fuzzy but it's same outcome for WC. And at some point you have to stop and say 'you know what 5 picks worth 4,000 points for one OOC player is taking the piss'.

Hawthorn gave up Burton to get Wingard. Of course they didn't want him to go, and Burton didn't want to go, but they did it to get their man.

The Eagles probably needed to be a bit more creative here and had the last 12 months to figure something out, than to wait an entire year, knowing off a premiership that they are probably going to finish somewhere near the top and not have a pick under 10.

Everyone wants to keep their team intact, but to get top quality non free agents, you need to let something go. Even if Geelong doesn't want it.. they could have organised to trade Gaff somewhere else. Could have even let Gaff go last year to North Melbourne and get something nice in return for last year, plus their first round pick for this year. And there is your Kelly deal done. If West Coast don't have a plan in place here other than to show up with a bunch of picks in the teens and twenties, and say "this is all we have", it's a very arrogant or dumb approach.. I'm not sure which one.

The pick offerings would be the first stop, but surely they have a Plan B and Plan C.

Who’s to say we don’t? Craig Vozzo literally said nothing about what we had offered them so far.

sounds the ball's in West Coast's court to get it done. Explaining to Kelly that West Coast are unable to honor their commitment to him because the club isn't prepared to meet Geelong's demands would be an awkward conversation to have.
Geelong either take a fair trade or he goes to the draft were he almost certainly gets picked up by the Eagles.There is no stress or panic on the Eagles side .People tend not to take the vic narrative seriously.

Last edited:
I believe Petruccelle was being floated as a makeweight until the Rioli saga. Brander and Allen are, of course, the other potential steak knives.

Reminds me a bit of our Ottens trade, where we did lose a first-22 player at the time in Moloney. However, that was very different as Ottens was a rare commodity - Kelly is a better player, but mids are a dime a dozen.

Brander and Allen are not steak knives. What do people seriously think WC would accept right now for a contracted Allen? No player is untradeable but if you start including Brander's name then you need to start taking picks out. That's not my opinion, the club rates him 10x higher than I do.

You're doing too much. Wells' comments today were inline with his remarks on Trade Radion i.e. 14+2020 1st isn't enough.

Today is opening gambit for trade week. More likely than not it gets done. Something like 14+34+2020 1st.
I'm sure it'll get done eventually. Geelong won't want to risk getting nothing.

All I'm saying is, if Geelong do really stand their ground and West Coast are forced to tell Kelly the trade can't happen, would that be enough to shift his focus to Freo given he's desperate to come home? Does he really have any other option other than the draft, which is a horrible one?

That's a huge IF though and totally hypothetical. I think it'll get done for something similar to your suggestion.

Personally I think Hawks made a big mistake getting Wingard for Burton.

I would hope we wouldn't sell off a good young player for Kelly.

Geelong either take a fair trade or he goes to the draft were he almost certainly gets picked up by the Eagles.There is no stress or panic on the Eagles side .People tend not to listen to the vic narrative over here.

I agree it will go through with West Coast more than likely.... but surely in that circumstance Freo would use their pick to draft him. Maybe even Goldcoast would :eek:

Who’s to say we don’t? Craig Vozzo literally said nothing about what we had offered them so far.

Talking more from fans point of view.

Seems most are just saying it's the picks and nothing else.

Just saying that letting go of a player.. even if it' s not to Geelong, could be what is required to get it done.

I don't even know if Geelong would fold here though. Because they got him with pick 25, he was mature aged so they haven't put much work into him themselves.

Geelong would lose a great midfielder, but looking deeper into it, it's not like losing a number 1 draft pick or someone they have put 7 years of work into. To compare... Gold Coast losing Tom Lynch is 10 times worse than Geelong losing Tim Kelly. Geelong could play hardball here and send him to the draft if they believe they are being lowballed. They will just look like a bunch of pricks due to doing it to the guy with the family requirements.

I agree it will go through with West Coast more than likely.... but surely in that circumstance Freo would use their pick to draft him. Maybe even Goldcoast would :eek:
only risk would be Fremantle's 6(Hill) or 7 I would say. Essendon don't have a pick before West Coast's pick 14 and Dodo's the only one campaignery enough to do it for the lulz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think Hawks made a big mistake getting Wingard for Burton.

I would hope we wouldn't sell off a good young player for Kelly.

Absolutely.. Burton will be 10 times better than The Chad.

But I still feel like West Coast will need to do something they don't really want to do, to get this done..

So sounds like 14 and future 1st is the base of the trade (fair enough).

Could either be +24 with 36 coming back.
Or +33 with 54 coming back (if cats dont want it).
Or just +33 outright if we dont need the pick 54 for anything).

What was the reason?
Was an absolute figjam that pissed off most of his teammates and we had a guy that was earmarked to play his role and we snared him he can do everything Burton can do. The kid just needs a decent run with injuries.

PS, I am not talking about Chad as the player we earmarked to play his role.

Was an absolute figjam that pi**ed off most of his teammates and we had a guy that was earmarked to play his role and we snared him, he can do everything Burton can do only quicker.

PS, I am not talking about Chad as the player we earmarked to play his role.

Good thing you replaced a FIGJAM with Wingard....

Good thing you replaced a FIGJAM with Wingard....
Do you know something about Chads character or is it just a guess?

Chad had injury issues this year but he finished the year off in great form. He played a great game in that thrashing we handed out to the WCE that ruined their chances of Back2Back, so very happy with him.

Good for Hawthorn. They also gave up 23, 36, a future first (7) and a future second (26) to get O'Meara. They are not the norm as far as trade weeks go. But since you brought them up they got Mitchell for pick 14, Scrimshaw for a bag of chips and Scully for an expire Video Ezy coupon. They will soon have Jon Patton and if they give up a pick inside 45 I would be surprised. But people only want to highlight when they paid overs for some reason...

Had Gaff left we would've had pick 19, 20 and 22 last year instead of just 20 and 22 (pushed out to 23 and 25). More picks, not not better picks. We're going to just 'trade him somewhere else', it doesn't work like that.

This 'WC have had 12 months' thing is getting pretty tired. Geelong have had 12 months to convince Kelly to stay, he hasn't. Freo have had 12 months to convince Kelly he should join their club, he doesn't want to. Has everyone else just stood still the last 12 months?

People talk about plan B and C like it's just a case of finding ways to give Geelong more. That's a definite possibility but there's also plan D or E or F or whatever which is moving up in the draft with the intention of giving Geelong little or nothing. The only club that completely lose from this is Geelong. If WC don't trade and Kelly joins Freo via whatever means then we retain all our picks and get on with things.

I'm sure it'll get done eventually. Geelong won't want to risk getting nothing.

All I'm saying is, if Geelong do really stand their ground and West Coast are forced to tell Kelly the trade can't happen, would that be enough to shift his focus to Freo given he's desperate to come home? Does he really have any other option other than the draft, which is a horrible one?

That's a huge IF though and totally hypothetical. I think it'll get done for something similar to your suggestion.

Who knows. Apparently he is currently rebuffing Longmuir's attempts to reach out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Back