Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather keep him.
Not sure if I'm in the minority or not TBH.
Ok, would love to keep him but realistically, he has currency and trading him out this year, when his currency is at it's highest, would go a long way to setting the club up for future success.

Only reason it gets done, is if WCE believe they need another first round pick, and think Barass's body won't hold up in the coming years.
Definitely more the pick rather than the body I would’ve thought. He’s been very open about his body, don’t think you do that without being confident it will stand up.

Hawks 1st (as long as they don’t make finals) + Future 2nd and DGB (probably getting delisted anyway or close to) would be the minimum.

Definitely deserves a pay rise but Eagles need that pick imo. Like the Roos needed to keep McKay last year but pick 3 was too good not to let him go.

I believe it’s the Eagles and Dons who are the only ones who don’t give be the uptick in salary to reflect the salary cap going up. Be interesting to see if the new team stay with that.

Great fit for the Hawks and absolute star player.

Only reason it gets done, is if WCE believe they need another first round pick, and think Barass's body won't hold up in the coming years.
It will get done if:
a) Barrass gets significantly more years on more money
b) WCE believe they are gaining more than they lose in a trade

All of HAW, COLL and WBD can satisfy the first point, the second point of what WCE are prepared to accept is likely to be the barrier to a trade given he is contracted for another 3 years. I honestly don’t think we’d accept a single 1R pick from any of the three clubs linked to him so far.

It will get done if:
a) Barrass gets significantly more years on more money
b) WCE believe they are gaining more than they lose in a trade

All of HAW, COLL and WBD can satisfy the first point, the second point of what WCE are prepared to accept is likely to be the barrier to a trade given he is contracted for another 3 years. I honestly don’t think we’d accept a single 1R pick from any of the three clubs linked to him so far.
100%, ain’t just taking a 1st round pick for him.

So multiple 1sts or later rounder picks in addition to the 1st? Zero chance multiple first get sent across for Barrass, even with other stuff from the Eagles going back.
It’s clearly not 0 chance. Sydney apparently were prepared ti offer it last year

AFL world loves the ‘first round picks’ term. Big difference if the team he selects goes deep into finals or don’t make it.

Don’t make it- A pick around 10 I would say a future 2nd would be about right.

Make a prelim and the pick is in the early-mid 20s and get TB you’d expect it to be around the same again for 2025 pick so that would have to be 2 ‘1st round picks’ and I’m sure the Eagles turn it down unless they can bundle and move up.

Then there is the other way he picks the Dogs and English stays and the Eagles pay some of it to get the picks higher.

Plenty of ways it’s two firsts

Last edited:
So multiple 1sts or later rounder picks in addition to the 1st? Zero chance multiple first get sent across for Barrass, even with other stuff from the Eagles going back.
You think WCE will give up a top 5 league premiership KPD and lynchpin of our defence for a mid teens pick?

Many are missing the point that Barrass playing for us for a further 3 years is a perfectly acceptable outcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think WCE will give up a top 5 league premiership KPD and lynchpin of our defence for a mid teens pick?

Many are missing the point that Barrass playing for us for a further 3 years is a perfectly acceptable outcome.
Agree Barrass staying on is the most likely outcome, not sure why being a member of the 2018 flag would form part of negotiations though?

A draft pick in the range for us to pick up Tobie Travaglia, and salary cap relief to make a bid for free agents . I think that if we get Tim English or Isaac Cumming on the hook, the deal makes sense.

Barrass would go close to best at any club

Thats not the point of what I was saying anyway

Hes shopping himself around, he wants more money and 2 more years
If Barrass is close to your best player you will be in the bottom 4. He's a good player but no star at all. Wouldn't be in our top 8 players in he came to us

If Barrass is close to your best player you will be in the bottom 4. He's a good player but no star at all. Wouldn't be in our top 8 players in he came to us
Barrass would be the best KPd you have had since Lake left to hawks and be in top 6 players for you as soon as he arrives severely underrating his ability

By the end of 2022 Barrass was not only a premiership player, but also a newly minted best and fairest. He knew what the Swans were prepared to offer if he decided to defect.

With that number in mind, Barrass sat down with senior West Coast officials to talk about his contract, against advice from his agent.

He didn't ask for the Eagles to match Sydney's number, but believed the club should restructure his deal to reflect his true value to the team.

To his delight, West Coast officials agreed. There was a verbal understanding that in time, he would receive a pay bump. Any prospect of joining Sydney ended there and then.

This salary increase arrived only in the last few months. Disappointingly for Barrass, it was so minor that it left the 2018 premiership player believing he is being pushed out in favour of multiple high end draft picks.

And the reason he's exploring a trade is because he feels West Coast hasn't come to the party since the handshake agreement.

Some extraordinary detail in this article. Don’t normally see this sort of insight into negotiations between club and player until the post trade week reflection pieces come out.

I really rate him as a player, but I'd prefer to pass considering the asking price.

Let's say we get Battle.
Next year we'll be re-adding James Blanck to the squad alongside him, plus the highly rated Will McCabe who is another 197cm defender just starting his career after a back injury stalled his first season.

Combine that with a first round draft pick in what is considered to be a deep pool at the top end.

To me, that collection is more enticing than Barrass at the expense of the draft pick. At this point in the development of the list we should still be focusing on young talent.
I am concerned about the combination of Barrass' age and injury history when we already have, IMO, his position adequately covered.

I really rate him as a player, but I'd prefer to pass considering the asking price.

Let's say we get Battle.
Next year we'll be re-adding James Blanck to the squad alongside him, plus the highly rated Will McCabe who is another 197cm defender just starting his career after a back injury stalled his first season.

Combine that with a first round draft pick in what is considered to be a deep pool at the top end.

To me, that collection is more enticing than Barrass at the expense of the draft pick. At this point in the development of the list we should still be focusing on young talent.
I am concerned about the combination of Barrass' age and injury history when we already have, IMO, his position adequately covered.
Lets be honest

We love Blanck

Has he shown any ability to get close to Barass's output?

The top price for a KPD was pick 6 for May who was 26 at the time. Brian Lake at 30 years old was pick 21 + 43 with 27 coming back which was a steal.

He's not a top 5 league KPD, he's not even the best KPD in your team. A single top 10 1st rounder for a 28/29 year old would be a huge win for WC and they should definitely do the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back