List Mgmt. Tom Lonergan recommits to Geelong after chase by the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could not begrudge him to take a 3 year deal. He deserves a bit of a pay day to close his career. It is a real sign of respect for a club to offer him that.

Blicavs might surprise us if he is used more as a key defender. There is never any time better than the present to see if any of the 2 or 3 potential key defenders in the VFL can play.

If we can still be a top 8 side and stock up with some good draft picks from this years trade action it won't hurt us as the list cycles over the next few years.

Agree with a lot that your saying. My offer for geelong was pick 26 and 45 for Lonergan and Walker. You guys probably don't want picks though. Maybe you could use those picks for Clark. FWIW I don't mind trading Minson for the right deal, but I'd love another year from him but if he wanted out to make it easier then he could certainly be included in a lonergan trade deal.
I personally wouldn't trade Walker if Lonergan is going. I'd say a mid-20s pick for Lonergan would be right, otherwise I'd keep him as he's contracted.

Well looks like Hawks will 3peat then

No point in watching next year, we can't trade for shit or get quality players to the club and now our players are leaving.

Lost faith in this club
tumblr_nab4vnOL591r9a32bo1_400.gif

So, we lose some drive from centre half back, or have Hamling get obliterated and concede 4-6 goals every week?

It's not like the other defends are statues - everyone generates drive from the backline now in some way or another.
Rivers takes Lonergan's role
Mackie takes Rivers' role
Hammer can come in to play Mackie's role.

No point in watching next year, we can't trade for shit or get quality players to the club and now our players are leaving.

Lost faith in this club

A tad dramatic, but it does seem like other clubs are starting to smell blood in the water right now, and if we don't take a stance and stop playing mister nice guy the wheels could fall off pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost faith in this club

Do you need me to direct you to the microwave?

Ill take cooney, and Dahlhaus for him
Cooney and a third? Or just a 2nd rounder? Cooney wants to leave however.

Lost faith in this club
Imagine if you barracked for Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne or the Dogs? Wait..... you probably wouldn't have the heart to. Stick by your club in whatever times may come through, tough or glory. From a Bulldogs point of view I hate seeing fairweather fans who have seen glory but jump off once it comes to an end.

Geelong needs quality midfielders, once quality midfielders are drafted to help out Selwood, Motlop and Caddy long term you guys will surely bounce back up, if Lonergan wants to go and our 2nd rounder is the deal surely a quality mid would be available at that pick.

So, we lose some drive from centre half back, or have Hamling get obliterated and concede 4-6 goals every week?

It's not like the other defends are statues - everyone generates drive from the backline now in some way or another.
My argument was more towards keeping Lonergan because I love him.

I hate to see Lonners and Bundy go but a good trade outcome for me would be:

Bundy for Tom Nichols and a 2nd round pick.
Lonners for Fletcher Roberts and a 2nd round pick
Two 2nd round picks for Jarryd Lyons (Adelaide).

This way I get to see a couple of kids I saw a lot of while coaching and training in the MSJFL play for my cats.

No, they're shit. We'd be ****** without Lonergan.
What would it matter now if we are rebuilding anyway, he had a year to go at best after 2015, and much as I love Lonergan, always have, next year is not a year of contention, on current evidence.

Last edited:
I hate to see Lonners and Bundy go but a good trade outcome for me would be:

Bundy for Tom Nichols and a 2nd round pick.
Lonners for Fletcher Roberts and a 2nd round pick
Two 2nd round picks for Jarryd Lyons (Adelaide).

This way I get to see a couple of kids I saw a lot of while coaching and training in the MSJFL play for my cats.
You can have Jones if you want. Roberts is a required kid, helped the VFL team finish top 4 before going in early for shoulder surgery, he will be either our CHB or CHF next year.

Nicholls and their 2nd rounder is fair, perhaps if Nicholls moved then Gorringe would stay.

That's way overs for Lyons, our 2nd rounder if you get that for Lonergan (if he hypothetically leaves) should be enough.

Absolutely. After what he has given to the club and what he has been through he owes us nothing.

The security of a 3 year deal at this point must be irresistible.

If he goes, I'm excited about the opportunities it will provide our young guys.

I do feel a little bit like this and while we could be royally screwed if he leaves, if we get something good in return, I'm probably the same way. Can't see many players that are neat trades (most are either way overs, or way unders, given Lonergan's age...the neatest fit would probably be...Minson), so it's a case of the bidding starting around pick #26 or #27. Not great, but that's worth considering. Anything later than that, I'm willing to sacrifice for another year of Domsy at full back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back