List Mgmt. Tom Lonergan recommits to Geelong after chase by the Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought letting Lake go to Hawthorn was supposed to have been win-win. We were told at the time, Bulldogs were looking for young players and wanted to put time into their young key defenders. Two years later they are trying to poach a 30 year old defender by offering three years?

I'm going with they didn't want him due to Brian fades ... :)

That and on a good lot of money.

On what evidence?

Be thirty one next year [hardly ancient] and showed no signs of dropping off this year, so what makes you think he's suddenly going to hit the wall twelve months down the track?
I actually meant after 2015, and by then, we should be grooming a successful replacement.
I corrected my original post, assumed he would be on our list for 2 yrs, but that 2016 would be one of those Milburn/Mooney years.

I thought letting Lake go to Hawthorn was supposed to have been win-win. We were told at the time, Bulldogs were looking for young players and wanted to put time into their young key defenders. Two years later they are trying to poach a 30 year old defender by offering three years?

BMAc seems to be a 'dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out' kind of coach with players who dont toe the company line.

We are truly seeing the outcome of the Scott era now. Lonergan has seen how the vets were treated last year, and is getting out early before Scott had the chance to do the same to him. Loyalty needs to work both ways in a football club, and Scott has shown that he doesn't wish to reward loyalty, so neither will the players.

It is evident that he has ruined the culture of the club. That's why Christensen wants to leave and that's why Lonergan will leave. The club would be best served to rid themselves of Scott as quickly as they can, or else we'll be cellar dwellers and a feeder club like Melbourne in no time.

I hope that we won't be bent over in these trades, but history suggests we will be. Far too accommodating, and whilst that might have been fine in an era of success, it will prove blatantly detrimental now.
Interesting points.
Totally disagree.
You do not know why Bundy is out.
If Lonners can get a guaranteed 3 yr deal, what more could he do for us at Geelong, on a substantially less income, we'd assume.

This could really help us.

I do believe it will hurt us in 2015. In fact I'd be taking lube to any games against Sydney.

But this is an opportunity to restructure and speed up the back line.

Bews - Taylor - Mackie
Enright - Rivers - Thurlow

With Kolo getting game time, maybe even Hamling.

Interesting points.
Totally disagree.
You do not know why Bundy is out.
If Lonners can get a guaranteed 3 yr deal, what more could he do for us at Geelong, on a substantially less income, we'd assume.
He knows the coaching staff are willing to throw him out like old garbage the first chance they get. The fact that they so publicly and aggressively went after Frawley would have indicated to him that his days were numbered, and with memories of how club legends like Chapman, Corey, Podsiadly, and Hunt were treated fresh in his mind, he'd know what was coming.

Scott has completely undermined the culture that Thompson and the playing group of 07-11 worked so hard to build. He has treated the legends of the football club with nothing but disrespect, and done little to fill the void left by them. His list management and development tactics have been terrible, and will set this club back years.

It's a good thing Scott has given some games to our younger KPDs, just in case the Frawley deal fell through and something like this happened... That way, we wouldn't have a kid with no AFL experience whatsoever coming into the side completely green...

Oh crap,Mona has turned up for her Scott bitchfest :rolleyes:
Go support another team you twit

I do believe it will hurt us in 2015. In fact I'd be taking lube to any games against Sydney.

Bews - Taylor - Mackie

It could. But no doubt Kelly will play in defence ahead of Bews.

Yep and watch what happens when you dare suggest he might have to play VFL for a week or two.

Hmm.

I'm going to guess the answer to "what happens" is "people agree with you", because that's certainly the impression I get from the Geelong forum I've been reading, and I assume you've been reading the same one. If Kelly's form doesn't merit selection, then he shouldn't be picked. Has anyone here suggested otherwise?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are truly seeing the outcome of the Scott era now. Lonergan has seen how the vets were treated last year, and is getting out early before Scott had the chance to do the same to him. Loyalty needs to work both ways in a football club, and Scott has shown that he doesn't wish to reward loyalty, so neither will the players.

It is evident that he has ruined the culture of the club. That's why Christensen wants to leave and that's why Lonergan will leave. The club would be best served to rid themselves of Scott as quickly as they can, or else we'll be cellar dwellers and a feeder club like Melbourne in no time.

I hope that we won't be bent over in these trades, but history suggests we will be. Far too accommodating, and whilst that might have been fine in an era of success, it will prove blatantly detrimental now.

off the top of my head, current players that have left... maybe all clubs should have no coaches.

Adelaide: Tippett, Gunston, Davis
Brisbane: Polec, Longer, Karnezis, Yeo, Docherty
Carlton: Waite
Collingwood: Thomas
Essendon: Ryder
Fremantle: Palmer
Gold Coast: Caddy
GWS: O'Rourke
Hawthorn: Franklin
Melbourne: Clark, Frawley
North Melbourne: Greenwood
Port Adelaide: Pearce
Richmond: White
St Kilda: Goddard, Dal Santo
Sydney: Mumford, Malceski
West Coast: Judd?
Westen Bulldogs: Ward

every club has a player that wants to leave at some stage.

We have had a good run. One or two players leaving ain't the end of the world. Suck it up.

Lonergan hasn't said he wants out anyway. Bulldogs have offered him a contract and it might be stupid for him not to take it personally. Doesn't mean he hates Scott.

Picks are overrated. I would have taken that offer in a heartbeat if we had acquired Frawley. Not now though.

Surely you guys have kids in the VFL that can step up etc Thurlow and JK, plus Blicavs can go down back, you still have Rivers and Taylor that the kids can learn from.

The only reason why I see we're targeting Lonergan is that Morris is on his last legs and Lonergan will be the backline general for a little while Roberts and Talia develop and Roughead will be played forward. Roughead has done his apprenticeship down back and will be our bomb it inside 50 target, plus he is too slow on the lead to make it as a number 1 defender.

We have salary cap issues with the player exodus, someone needs to come in to get to the required 95%, imo we are currently way under cap. If we don't land Lonergan we'll probably have a crack at Merrett to play the same role but I see Brisbane having similar salary cap issues to us and if they don't land Beams due to Collingwood's stubbornness they can't afford to lose Merrett financially.

He knows the coaching staff are willing to throw him out like old garbage the first chance they get. The fact that they so publicly and aggressively went after Frawley would have indicated to him that his days were numbered, and with memories of how club legends like Chapman, Corey, Podsiadly, and Hunt were treated fresh in his mind, he'd know what was coming.

Scott has completely undermined the culture that Thompson and the playing group of 07-11 worked so hard to build. He has treated the legends of the football club with nothing but disrespect, and done little to fill the void left by them. His list management and development tactics have been terrible, and will set this club back years.
He inherited a team with no youngsters

Bews - Taylor - Mackie

As you know, I agree in principle that we need to restructure the backline. But we can do that both without losing Lonergan and without compromising short-term success. We don't need circumstantial imperatives such as the exit of a KPD to force our hand in that regard. We just need to be more tactically flexible and open to the idea that we cannot play three KPDs.

Surely you guys have kids in the VFL that can step up etc Thurlow and JK, plus Blicavs can go down back, you still have Rivers and Taylor that the kids can learn from.

The only reason why I see we're targeting Lonergan is that Morris is on his last legs and Lonergan will be the backline general for a little while Roberts and Talia develop and Roughead will be played forward. Roughead has done his apprenticeship down back and will be our bomb it inside 50 target, plus he is too slow on the lead to make it as a number 1 defender.

We have salary cap issues with the player exodus, someone needs to come in to get to the required 95%, imo we are currently way under cap. If we don't land Lonergan we'll probably have a crack at Merrett to play the same role but I see Brisbane having similar salary cap issues to us and if they don't land Beams due to Collingwood's stubbornness they can't afford to lose Merrett financially.

None of the young kids who can play KPD have any AFL experience. If we were rebuilding, bringing in a kid with zero experience would be fine, and would have been done sooner, but when we're trying to stay relevant, bringing in people whose capabilities are dubious and who have no experience at the top level to fill a vital role will mean opening up a massive hole in our backline.

Of course, kids need to get games eventually, but the ideal scenario would have been to ease them in with occasional games while they could still learn from Lonergan and the others, but have them thrust in from round 1 and be expected to play 22 games in one of the most crucial positions on the ground.

I don't believe hitting the bottom of the ladder to rebuild works, otherwise Melbourne, St Kilda and the Bulldogs would all be challenging for flags, Port Adelaide is obviously the exception. Once we bottom out we lose our winning culture and we become another side making up the numbers.

disagree only Melbourne has failed with bottoming out because they went with back to back to back rebuilds and lost all their leadership (franchise clubs also took most of the talent)

Saints and Bulldogs will be fine, both are coming along nicely

We don't need to finish rock bottom but missing finals isn't the end of the world, we still have plenty of young talent.

off the top of my head, current players that have left... maybe all clubs should have no coaches.

Adelaide: Tippett, Gunston, Davis
Brisbane: Polec, Longer, Karnezis, Yeo, Docherty
Carlton: Waite
Collingwood: Thomas
Essendon: Ryder
Fremantle: Palmer
Gold Coast: Caddy
GWS: O'Rourke
Hawthorn: Franklin
Melbourne: Clark, Frawley
North Melbourne: Greenwood
Port Adelaide: Pearce
Richmond: White
St Kilda: Goddard, Dal Santo
Sydney: Mumford, Malceski
West Coast: Judd?
Westen Bulldogs: Ward

every club has a player that wants to leave at some stage.

We have had a good run. One or two players leaving ain't the end of the world. Suck it up.

Lonergan hasn't said he wants out anyway. Bulldogs have offered him a contract and it might be stupid for him not to take it personally. Doesn't mean he hates Scott.
  • I think Judas left too

I know the wheels have been loosened for some time down there, but they are rapidly falling off down at the cattery. They better have some master plan up their sleeve or i see a GROS campaign starting up! They pick up a bloke that has hardly played for the past three years, they get rid of Chappy and Pods, now they will lose Varcoe, Christensen and Lonergan, i'm not seeing much in return? What is really going on down there?

Who is ready to replace him?

Look I love Lonergan and I don't want him to go (from an emotional point of view) but let's be realistic here, if he really is being offered a 3 year deal we shouldn't be matching that, at his age he should be on 1 year deals each year and it would be irresponsible for the club to do anything else for a player who is 31 next year.

If he wants to go for the security, fair enough he deserves him, I am sure the club would like him to stay.

And losing a 30 year old hurts far less than losing a player in Bundy's age bracket, I am way more worried about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back