Moved Thread Tony Lockett - is he remembered as a Saint or Swan?

How is Tony Lockett remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the pig at full foward.

On a serious note, has to be Swan for me as 96GF whilst living in Sydney was when I really started watching religiously.

double the games, double the goals, brownlow medal. this isn't even a contest

Problem is whenever footage is shown of Plugger it is usually one of two things. The "huge behind" or the 1300th goal, both of which happened when he was in a Swans guernsey.

It is similar to Buddy in a few ways as one of the primary highlights that will be shown of him in the decades to come is the 1000th goal, and that was done wearing a Swans guersney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I started following AFL around the time of the switch, so can't realistically comment.

But as someone in NSW then with Swans parents, Lockett was a huge name at the time, lot of endorsements, you could watch him on tv every week in the market (usually kicking bags), and in terms of club history the mid/late 90s was a canonical time for Swans fans. Similar with Bazza, Lance, Capper, etc. they shone out in a less crowded afl market.

I think Bazza and Capper are definitely remembered by neutrals as Swans. Lockett and Buddy are understandably more contentious.

Off field, what he did in Sydney in 5 years was huge not just for us but for the game in general.

However as a player he was at his most brilliant and dynamic at the Saints. No dispute there.

Not too different to Buddy in that his best was better at his first club but he was more consistent with us.

I could understand either supporter base making a claim. Not unlike Ablett Jnr, Judd etc

Off field, what he did in Sydney in 5 years was huge not just for us but for the game in general.

However as a player he was at his most brilliant and dynamic at the Saints. No dispute there.

Not too different to Buddy in that his best was better at his first club but he was more consistent with us.

I could understand either supporter base making a claim. Not unlike Ablett Jnr, Judd etc

Buddy just needs another 30 goals or so before he has kicked 500 goals for the Swans.

Watched the big man take a mark 30m out at Whitten Oval with 3 dogs players literally hanging off him. It came down onto 3 outstretched fingers, he flipped it 360 and then palmed the bloody thing. I’ve never seen a better mark before or since - unbelievable. He was more than mere mortal when he was playing for the Saints. Loved watching him. Saint hero in my eyes.

A better player at the Saints but the impact that he and the mid-late 90s Swans had on footy in Sydney was massive.

I’m obviously biased here but I say he’s remembered as a Swan. Comfortably.

I started following AFL around the time of the switch, so can't realistically comment.

But as someone in NSW then with Swans parents, Lockett was a huge name at the time, lot of endorsements, you could watch him on tv every week in the market (usually kicking bags), and in terms of club history the mid/late 90s was a canonical time for Swans fans. Similar with Bazza, Lance, Capper, etc. they shone out in a less crowded afl market.

I think Bazza and Capper are definitely remembered by neutrals as Swans. Lockett and Buddy are understandably more contentious.
Agree with the last bit. Bazza was terrific in his time with the dogs but he is absolutely a swan in my eyes - as is Capper.

Greatest Saint I’ve ever seen. Even non Saints people would flock to Moorabbin to watch him pulverise opposition. 1991 possibly the greatest ever season by a footballer. He was unstoppable.

12 seasons at St Kilda
5 at Sydney (We won’t count the comeback. Just pretend that didn’t happen)

1360 goals

462 as a Swan - 4.7 average (Was a genuine superstar from the time he arrived)

898 as a Saint - 4.9 average (Including his rookie year when he was making his way kicking just 19 goals in his first season)

Had a great career at Sydney but didn’t even get to 100 games there.

Is it really a contest? Plugger is a Saint. The greatest ever Saint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Tony Lockett - is he remembered as a Saint or Swan?

Back