Top derbies

Remove this Banner Ad

MadeinWA

Debutant
Jul 23, 2011
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Did anyone watch the channel 7 top derbies segment after the footy? It just made me wild watching stuff like Jeff farmer looking to the heavens when he kicked his soft easy goals and the Carr brothers going after cuz.

I'd hate to say it but in my 10 years of watching derbies, probably the best game was round 22ish of 2003 where they beat us by a couple of goals, and Kerr kicked GOTY.

It was probably the worst pain I've ever felt after a loss aswell. Including 2005.

Funnily enough the next 'best derby' I've seen is when they beat us in 2006. Whenever we beat them it's always a thrashing or a dour sort of game, I can't recall many derbies we've won where it's been a good game.

One of my favourite derbies was rd3 2005.

We were behind at 3 quarter time and we kicked 4 of the first 5 goals in the last and withheld some late goals from Freo to win by 8 points.

I remember Cox kicking a nice snap from a pack and Judd kicking a Beauty from 55 and the goal umpire just did not move, was sensational!!

Also the Scotty Cumming 10 goals derby was awesome!! :D

Whenever I think derby, for some reason Tim Gossage's "LUKE MCPHARLIN THAT IS THE MARK OF THE YEAR" always pops into my head.

As good a game as the close 2006 one was, I went into a rage after Haselby kicked that goal. The one where Carr went after Cousins all day also annoyed me for one thing. We were making a charge for them coming into 3/4 time, about 7 points down after being 4 or so goals down. Late in the 3rd Carr got a 50m penalty against Cousins and kicked the goal. I went pshyco.

This is random and completely unrelated, but i'm about to leave the office and can't be bothered finding an appropriate thread.

But, I was looking through NN's stats to compare his clearances to Rhys Palmer's (not sure why TBH). Then I noticed Palmer's 'Bounces' stat.

In 2008 he had 67 running bounces over 20 matches, at 3.5 bounces per match.

Ever since then he has had 3 running bounces over the course of 40 matches.

What the?? I wonder if they missed him in the top Derby on Sunday??

Ol ro$$y Lyon has been copping a pounding tonight and last night on sports central for the weekends derby and his overall gameplan. When they shafted Harvey for Lyon I never knew why Lyon had so much cred as a head coach I mean if you can't wina flag with reiwoldt,koschitzke,Goddard,dal santo,Milne,Hayes etc all in their prime im not sure you can do it with anyone to be honest

You're kidding, right? :eek:

Haha no. 2005 didn't hurt me like it hurt others. I'm not really sure why, but I went the whole game with a gut feeling we'd lose. I was gutted of course, but that first derby I ever saw us lose was a real kick to the nuts. I had been such a dick to all my Docker supporting mates in the lead up, laughing about how much we'd win by - and believing it. It was such an intense finish aswell.

In terms of overall pain after a loss, that's at the top of the list for me. Collingwood in 2007 is third.

2007 felt like a bit of a relief at the time. We were a battered team and didn't have another level to go to.

I have never re-watched 2005.

Losing the first final to Sydney in 2006 stung.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demolition Derby is the Chooseday Night Football game on Fox Footy tonight, FWIW.

But we lost that one and Clive Waterhouse kicked 7, so it can go and get stuffed.

Although we were resplendent in ochre... so there's a silver lining to every cloud.

I started to watch and realised it was a game we lost. It was interesting to see all the past and future premiership players. Cousins and Embley were so young. So glad they changed their jumpers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top derbies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back