List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us Lewis Taylor and Darcy Gardiner and you got a deal.

we could have drafted these two last year, taylor at 28 and gardiner at 22

its not all doom and gloom outside the top 10 at draft time, thats why losing varcoe for say pick 30 isnt the end of the world, we could use that pick for our very own taylor or gardiner

This club didn't want any of those players by the end of their time at Geelong, besides Mumford, and it would have been reckless in the extreme to match Sydney's offer for him, with Ablett's contract coming up. Ultimately we got a second rounder for a rookie-listed player that didn't make our best 22 at the end of the previous season, which wasn't a bad return, as far as I'm concerned.
It's beside the point if they no longer want a player and its beside the point if they are old - point is you should always get as much as possible for an asset - which is what players are - otherwise its a charity-like fire sale. It doesn't matter if they are best 22 or not - you wont be seeing Hawthorn delisting Lowden just because he cant get a game and wants out - they know hes an asset and they can get something for him (if he does move on) - and they will you watch.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gee...ent-from-the-afl/story-e6frf33l-1226181272811
He retired over three weeks before the draft, which allowed the Cats to nab Orren Stephenson as a contingency.
Define 'stop from leaving'. I would have thought offering a contract qualifies.
He also waited until after the trade period. Some players retire straight after the finals have finished. If the club knew what he was doing they could have planned better, nabbed a ruckman in the trade period and Ivan Maric was available.
I would also suggest suggest they should have offered him a contract straight away, not wait for him to make up his mind.
Some will call it nitpicking or hindsight - but the fact is 2012 could and should have been planned better.

I don't...it's more that I don't think we've been tested. Players have departed by mutual agreement and we've received SFA in return for them. That obviously can't be accepted for Christensen and if it's Gold Coast, I think we should push for pick #15, or one of their two first-choice ruckmen.
This is a test of Balme and the Football Department. Its a new era now and players can make more demands. I know footy clubs are probably full of egos and high maintenance personalities but to have no idea that Bundy was unhappy and the club is not good enough and they should have known earlier, not in the middle of trade period.

Last edited:
I know the majority of the story as to why he requested a move to QLD, but that shall remain silent until he decides an explanation is warranted.

What is an utter embarrassment as a Geelong supporter is disgruntled supporters from our own club sending his mother hate mail on facebook forcing her to deactivate her account.

I'd suggest to people to be wary about what you say about the situation.

I know the majority of the story as to why he requested a move to QLD, but that shall remain silent until he decides an explanation is warranted.

What is an utter embarrassment as a Geelong supporter is disgruntled supporters from our own club sending his mother hate mail on facebook forcing her to deactivate her account.

If that is true the culprits ought to hang their heads in shame.

Absolutely unnecessary, pathetic, and childish.

what I hate is people who come on here and claim to know the story but will not tell

this reads of him having a bad crowd and wanting to get away

however running away without a support group does nothing, depression will be worse

Without knowing what Allen's reasons are for wanting to leave, I'm withholding judgement on his decision to go.

But what I am extremely disappointed about, and I think reflects very poorly on him, is his timing in telling the club he wants to leave. I can't imagine any reason for not letting the club know three days earlier, before trade week began, so that we could have had all the cards on the table and pursue all appropriate options for replacing him.

So thumbs down to Bundy for not telling the club his wishes earlier, so we could've explored all possibilities, such as Levi Greenwood, because ready-made midfielders in the prime of their playing age aren't easily replaceable.

We all have issues and hang ups, but to leave a good team with a good culture for just the sunny beaches of Queensland is just ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give $50 bucks to the first person (journo, fan, anyone) who can definitively tell us if he is contracted.
How hard can it be for journo's to find out... It's not classified information ffs.

Part of me hopes that if it is the Suns they look after us as some form of acknowledgment that they pinched Ablett from us for f**k all...

It won't happen of course but I can dream

Players and draft picks. We let King go for pick 91 or something when he was clearly worth more - he was standout ruckman in the 2007 GF - and we could have asked more.
He played well in the 2007 GF but wasn't a/the standout. Less touches and hitouts than Ottens and just as many goals. It was also only his 6th game for the year. He was clearly in decline as evidenced by the fact that in nearly every statistical measure, he was no better or worse than his career average whilst at St.kilda.

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/S/Steven_King.html

Just so you know I was one of his biggest fans, my first ever jumper back in '97 had his number on it, I'm the furthest thing from a King hater/detractor.

I know nothing of the details. In the absence of any further information my view is we cannot afford to lose that player, under contract must stay and work things out. At least get a hundred games, some people assume they can advantage of Geelong being such a nice bunch of people and always allowing people to break their contracts for personal reasons. I know if it was Eddie he would say Sorry fella under contract. Without knowing more information my feeling is funk that! Under contract.

Part of me hopes that if it is the Suns they look after us as some form of acknowledgment that they pinched Ablett from us for f**k all...

It won't happen of course but I can dream
They'll probably offer us the Ablett/Caddy compensation pick :rolleyes:

what I hate is people who come on here and claim to know the story but will not tell

/QUOTE]
That's none of my business to tell, and I posted to warn people to be wary of what they say as I've read some derogatory remarks in this thread.

images

we could have drafted these two last year, taylor at 28 and gardiner at 22

its not all doom and gloom outside the top 10 at draft time, thats why losing varcoe for say pick 30 isnt the end of the world, we could use that pick for our very own taylor or gardiner

Overlooking players means nothing other then we rated Lang higher.

I know nothing of the details. In the absence of any further information my view is we cannot afford to lose that player, under contract must stay and work things out. At least get a hundred games, some people assume they can advantage of Geelong being such a nice bunch of people and always allowing people to break their contracts for personal reasons. I know if it was Eddie he would say Sorry fella under contract. Without knowing more information my feeling is funk that! Under contract.

Well, he'd try to wrangle a deal that turned a loss into a potential win for the club, which is what Collingwood has been doing thus far this trade period in regards to the Beams trade. Would be nice if the Cats played hard ball like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back