List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee the '09 draft which looked like setting us up perfectly for the future has gone to crap through no fault of the clubs.

Vardy, Menzel, Cowan all plagued by injury, Christensen leaving. Someone put Duncan in cotton wool ASAP. :drunk:

Isn't Duncan supposed to be the trade bait to acquire Dangerfield's services on this forum?

Breathe breathe breathe:D
gee, it's been a long time since I've had kids, NSFB. I think I've forgotten how!! :)

This is how I'm feeling atm...

images
58de3492bb79260a31b99788516baf01.jpg

Just got home- am off to make another coffee and go back and read some of the pages i've skipped ...

Was about to post about how the 2009 drafted kids seem to be falling apart- but have been beaten to it. Lost Mumford, picked up Drum, players breaking down...

Better wrap Duncan up in cotton wool and make him Vice Captain next season, I think, and throw a shitload of money at him!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so I thought that I'd sneak a peek at the Geelong board ( Collingwood Supporter ) and see if it was just us eating our own or if it's every club..
Firstly congrats on the 3 flags you guys are a great club. I find it entertaining how a few players want to leave and the skies falling down,, we should sack the coach and so on. I think that fans in general are too hysterical and given that 18 teams are all after the same prize our expectations are extremely high when we miss out only on the finals.

No no, obviously you should do what people do here, which is take the fifth best player with the benefit of hindsight and treat pick 5 as being worth the equivalent of that player.
Funny you bring that up.

Earlier in the day I made a statement that probably was/is considered outlandish (even I added the rider that the targeted player's club would baulk at the suggestion of a swap).

However, using Footywire to do a side by side between Christensen and David Swallow for the ages of 20, 21 and 22 makes for interesting reading.

At 20
Christensen (19 games/67% time on ground) - 8.1 kicks / 7.9 handballs / 3.1 marks / 1 goal / 3.7 tackles / 72.5% effective disposals / 2.8 clearances

Swallow (12 games/69.4% time on ground) - 10.8 kicks / 8 handballs / 2.6 marks / 0.7 goals / 3.6 tackles / 63.8% effective disposals / 3.1 clearances

At 21
Christensen (17 games/75.8% time on ground) - 9.8 kicks / 9.6 handballs / 2.8 marks / 0.5 goals / 3.7 tackles / 66.5% effective disposals / 2.8 clearances

Swallow (18 games/81.1% time on ground) - 10.8 kicks / 8.4 handballs / 2.6 marks / 0.2 goals / 3.4 tackles / 70.5% effective disposal / 2.3 clearances

At 22
Christensen (21 games/78.8% time on ground) - 10.1 kicks / 11 handballs / 3.2 marks / 1.1 goals / 4 tackles / 71.1% effective disposal / 3 clearances

Swallow (22 games/77.4% time on ground) - 13 kicks / 10.3 handballs / 3 marks / 0.7 goals / 5.4 tackles / 66.1% effective disposal / 5 clearances

The two appear to be tracking reasonably similarly at each age milestone yet most people would scoff at the suggestion that Christensen and Swallow are on equal footing (at least stat wise).

I'll assume some of that disbelief is due to the fact Swallow was a #1 draft selection while Christensen was taken in at 40.

Looking at the stats, I can see why Christensen was rated in some quarters during his draft year as a possible first round selection.

Now, even though I proposed it I can't see any way Gold Coast would entertain a swap of that nature but it might also serve as a pointer to Christensen's possible value considering he is keeping pace with a highly rated, former #1 selection.

so I thought that I'd sneak a peek at the Geelong board ( Collingwood Supporter ) and see if it was just us eating our own or if it's every club..
Firstly congrats on the 3 flags you guys are a great club. I find it entertaining how a few players want to leave and the skies falling down,, we should sack the coach and so on. I think that fans in general are too hysterical and given that 18 teams are all after the same prize our expectations are extremely high when we miss out only on the finals.
So True, but the sky is falling!

Funny you bring that up.

Earlier in the day I made a statement that probably was/is considered outlandish (even I added the rider that the targeted player's club would baulk at the suggestion of a swap).

However, using Footywire to do a side by side between Christensen and David Swallow for the ages of 20, 21 and 22 makes for interesting reading.

At 20
Christensen (19 games/67% time on ground) - 8.1 kicks / 7.9 handballs / 3.1 marks / 1 goal / 3.7 tackles / 72.5% effective disposals / 2.8 clearances

Swallow (12 games/69.4% time on ground) - 10.8 kicks / 8 handballs / 2.6 marks / 0.7 goals / 3.6 tackles / 63.8% effective disposals / 3.1 clearances

At 21
Christensen (17 games/75.8% time on ground) - 9.8 kicks / 9.6 handballs / 2.8 marks / 0.5 goals / 3.7 tackles / 66.5% effective disposals / 2.8 clearances

Swallow (18 games/81.1% time on ground) - 10.8 kicks / 8.4 handballs / 2.6 marks / 0.2 goals / 3.4 tackles / 70.5% effective disposal / 2.3 clearances

At 22
Christensen (21 games/78.8% time on ground) - 10.1 kicks / 11 handballs / 3.2 marks / 1.1 goals / 4 tackles / 71.1% effective disposal / 3 clearances

Swallow (22 games/77.4% time on ground) - 13 kicks / 10.3 handballs / 3 marks / 0.7 goals / 5.4 tackles / 66.1% effective disposal / 5 clearances

The two appear to be tracking reasonably similarly at each age milestone yet most people would scoff at the suggestion that Christensen and Swallow are on equal footing (at least stat wise).

I'll assume some of that disbelief is due to the fact Swallow was a #1 draft selection while Christensen was taken in at 40.

Looking at the stats, I can see why Christensen was rated in some quarters during his draft year as a possible first round selection.

Now, even though I proposed it I can't see any way Gold Coast would entertain a swap of that nature but it might also serve as a pointer to Christensen's possible value considering he is keeping pace with a highly rated, former #1 selection.
Excellent post, thanks.

As I posted earlier, people massively over rate what a draft pick is worth.

I think all 3 clubs concerned know the gravity of Christensen's decision and that's why they are all like: "Right let's just sit back and work this through in due course".

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: Allen Christensen traded to Brisbane in exchange for National Draft selection no. 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back