Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all the talk comes from his barracking as a kid but kids change allegiances most times when they join a new club. Media will latch onto anything to make a story.
Coffield was a dogs supporter and came across, on the other hand Lipinski was a huge dogs fan and left.
I'm sure they'll still have a soft spot for the club they supported as kids but they aren't going to go there/stay there if it isn't going to net them money and game time.

Or maybe, you know, just be able to say to the player:

"You want to play the big marquee matches? in front of 70,000, 80,000 fans half a dozen times through the year? Well, how many blockbusters do the Dogs get, eh? Yeah, exactly."

"Yep, just sign there. No, not there. Down the bottom. That's it. Good lad! You're gonna love it."
Yep that's a huge inequity and something we can't really compete with or do much about. Luckily there are only a few clubs that really offer that and the salary cap limits them to a reasonable degree.

Lol. Smith was awesome before his headbutt in 2022. The wheels fell off a touch after but he showed when Liber or Treloar were out he is a gun mid.

His 2022 when he got midfield minutes started very well..

Round 1 vs Melb: 33 touches, 11 tackles.
Round 3 vs Sydney: 31 touches
Round 4 vs Richmond: 36 touches, 4 tackles
Round 5 vs North: 43 touches, 4 tackles
Round 6 vs Adelaide: 29 touches
Round 7 vs Essendon: 26 touches, 1 goal
Round 8 vs Port: 24 touches, 4 tackles, 2 goals
Round 9 vs Collingwood: 41 touches
Round 10 vs Gold Coast: 34 toxues, 1 goal.

I’m resigned to the fact he’s 99% gone, but let’s not change history here. When he’s been given midfield time he’s a gun. I guess we’re just lucky that Ed has basically taken his role and done it even better.

Smith getting the ball is not an issue he’s issue is using it by foot. His disposal by foot is shocking if he doesn’t fix that he is an ordinary midfielder

He's basically Treloar 2.0, you can be an elite AFL mid and not a great kick. Dangerfield, Fyfe...
I differ you cannot be an elite mid and have a kick like Smiths

He cannot evem put it to the advantage of our forwards

His kicking improves heaps his elite if it does not he is just another midfielder

Lol. Smith was awesome before his headbutt in 2022. The wheels fell off a touch after but he showed when Liber or Treloar were out he is a gun mid.

I’m resigned to the fact he’s 99% gone, but let’s not change history here. When he’s been given midfield time he’s a gun. I guess we’re just lucky that Ed has basically taken his role and done it even better.

The amount of touches means nothing. The criticism has always been about the quality of his disposals.

It makes perfect sense - clubs will do what they can to get the player cheaply in a trade, there's really no reason for it to be associated with the salary.

Clubs will offer a high salary to get the player to request a trade and then pay the bare minimum the other club will accept to trade for him. And the club trading the player will almost always lose because they have no leverage. Sure they can send him to the draft and get nothing but there are several reasons not to do that.

A club with a gun player who wants out will almost always lose the trade, unless the player declines greatly in ability or they pick up an unexpected star in the draft. The thing to focus on is creating an environment that players don't want to leave.
But every single trade that has gotten a player into the top 100 or so salaried players in the league has involved either a top 10 pick or a combination of picks to the top 10. If what you were saying were true it would have manifested itself into any of the big name trades going back a decade, like with Josh Dunkley etc

Any chance you could add disposal efficiency to these stat's. We know he can accumulate but it's what he does with it is the big worry

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking efficiency has got worse since joining us.
I think DE could be misleading in this instance though. What counts as an ineffective kick? Bailey’s mindset is always to run his full measure and kick long to a contest - is that an effective kick?
He never lowers his eyes to spot up other options and considering modern footy is largely about maintaining possession it’s a significant problem with his game.

I think DE could be misleading in this instance though. What counts as an ineffective kick? Bailey’s mindset is always to run his full measure and kick long to a contest - is that an effective kick?
He never lowers his eyes to spot up other options and considering modern footy is largely about maintaining possession it’s a significant problem with his game.

Effective kicks are defined as...

Effective Short Kick: A kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession. Does not include kicks that are spoiled by the opposition.

Effective Long Kick: A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team.

While ineffective kicks are defined as...

Clanger Kick: Kicks that give possession directly to the opposition.

Ineffective Kick: Kicks that are not advantageous to the team, but do not directly turn the ball over to the opposition. All behinds are also classified as ineffective kicks.

So to answer your question "Bailey’s mindset is always to run his full measure and kick long to a contest - is that an effective kick?", yes it is.

Effective Short Kick: A kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession. Does not include kicks that are spoiled by the opposition.

Effective Long Kick: A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team.

Ineffective Kick: Kicks that are not advantageous to the team, but do not directly turn the ball over to the opposition. All behinds are also classified as ineffective kicks.

So to answer your question "Bailey’s mindset is always to run his full measure and kick long to a contest - is that an effective kick?", yes it is.

So my point exactly. Every one of those long bombs that goes to a 50/50 is classified as an effective kick.

Treloar is a better kick and far more composed than Smith

When Smith has ball in hand, it's hard to escape the feeling that we are one disposal away from a turnover. He trains the house down and has played 100 games. He may improve his kicking in time, but it's a concern that he hasn't yet been able to do it.

I think it’s unlikely Baz suddenly becomes a composed elite kick. Tbh, it’s like a breakup with two people still living under the same roof until the other finds a new pad to rent. Just a shame to see a high draft pick heading out the door, especially if Buss goes home too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's weird as when smith first joined the club he was one of our better kicks inside 50. I remember his debut year and always being comfortable with him with the sherrin. Was only really 2022 onwards where this bomb inside 50 to noone crept into his game.

Its a shame how its all ending he used to be one of my favourite players

I’m at the point where I don’t care if smith stays or goes. Would rather blokes that are fully invested and think we can hit the draft for mids if we can get some decent return for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back