Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, he can effectively be a poor mans Dunkley, or just be better than whoever else we currently have on the fringes.

For a team that wants to be contending, he’s at the right age too.
Depth onballer that we can reliably give 8 or 10 centre bounces to, when last year beyond Bont/Libba/Treloar, there were various stages where Macrae/Smith/Daniel went on ball, but we clearly weren't happy with those three in those roles for various reasons because their centre bounce attendance appeared/disappeared.

It's very funny as three years ago there was no shortage of onballer (we even thought Hunter could be an onballer and trained him there in his 2020 suspension and got him playing VFL there) and that's in part why players like Lipinski left. Obviously a very different player to Harmes, ones a tough nut and the other's a soft skilful player but they're broadly both onballers who as good as players as each other and we could afford to let one go then and now we're going out and recruiting them now.

It's funny how Macrae's fall from consecutive All-Australian player, Dunkley leaving and Smith not coming on has lead to this.

No superstar but it's a correct identification of where our weaknesses are and getting proven AFL players to plug holes there. Just looking at the numbers we were missing a fourth/fifth choice onballer, accepting Macrae isn't that player, Daniel was there to plug holes and who the hell knows with Smith's future output as a player with his very poor form post-bye last year.

Us allowing Sweet to go, can I read into this we are backing ourselves to retain English?
By not spending any more salary cap money than necessary (ie a minimum amount) on a backup ruck, it gives us the salary cap room to give ourselves the best chance of holding onto English. By preparing to lose English in a way, we may be facilitating it.

The very fact that Sweet's 2023 VFL form was signficiantly better than his 2021 or 2022 VFL form but he got AFL games in those two years and not this year kind of proves that point. His form is almost irrelavent, his form has outgrown the value that we should place on the guy whose job it is to step in for an English injury, who ideally wouldn't play a game all season, and he deserves an opportunity to either earn more money, more opportunity, or both. I wish him well, he's deserved it given his improved VFL for and I've been one of his harsher critics over the last few years.

With 5 - I know most of the scuttle is for Watson but I wouldn’t be surprised if we take Sanders - the kid is a gun mid of the JHF mode. He is tough with a great burst. I would be happy if we took him.

Team after draft would be:

Flea JUH Lobb

West Naughton A Jones

English Bont Libba

Smith Macrae Trelor

Coffield JOD JJ

Duryea Jones Red

Int: Sanders, Dale, Harmes, Cleary

That’s a decent team
I thought McKercher was the one with great burst?

Pleased that Buku has signed up for another year. Excellent backup depth, if not in our starting 22 up forward (BTW: Naughton's best position is as our defense linchpin IMO).

Are North on a mission to accumulate every single first rounder this year?
They (the AFL) really want the SuperCoach to succeed don’t they?

Can’t have him failing to get a basket case off the ground can they

Was kissed on the 🍆 with the players he walked into at Hawks

They (the AFL) really want the SuperCoach to succeed don’t they?

Can’t have him failing to get a basket case off the ground can they

Was kissed on the 🍆 with the players he walked into at Hawks
And kissed again. Will have so many players on his list after this years draft, who were first round draft picks. Likely more than the next best team by far as well. So much to work with. And can keep trading out the excess for more first rounders like GWS do as well.

Any clubs chasing John Noble? Very unlucky not to be a premiership player, must be very miffed, type of player we need to replace Duryea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any clubs chasing John Noble? Very unlucky not to be a premiership player, must be very miffed, type of player we need to replace Duryea
I’d take “Nobes” in a heartbeat but you gotta understand why he was dropped. Worst 1on1 stats for Collingwood defenders, his better distributing off half back vs sitting on a small forward.

I’d take “Nobes” in a heartbeat but you gotta understand why he was dropped. Worst 1on1 stats for Collingwood defenders, his better distributing off half back vs sitting on a small forward.

I'd take him too if we were going to move to a smaller defensive lineup with 2 KPDs, a medium/interceptor (Red), a lockdown and a couple of HBF distributors. Gives us JJ injury cover for the latter or is just better than him launching forward so earns his spot. But I'd agree that he wouldn't be the solution to small forwards kicking bags.

As to why he was dropped, that might be why - but don't you think it was strange that he'd played something like 80+ consecutive games then the coach/MC decided to drop him for finals? The decision has been justified, but if it was a flaw in his game you'd have thought he'd have seen some VFL in that three year period. Unless his form in the past few weeks of the year dropped off significantly (which I can't recall, but I might not have been watching the Collingwood games closely), I can understand if he's pretty angry with the club with how it worked out.

In terms of our ruck situation, we don't have to bring in anyone from a trade point of view

English-Main
Lobb- Back up
Darcy- VFL ruck/forward
I’d like one more to be fully comfortable. Lets Darcy be a forward first and means we hopefully avoid Buku rucking even in the twos

I agree that Lobb is the first option if English went down

I’d like one more to be fully comfortable. Lets Darcy be a forward first and means we hopefully avoid Buku rucking even in the twos

I agree that Lobb is the first option if English went down
We were lucky English played all of last season. All it takes is for he and Lobb to be out and all of a sudden Darcy has to Ruck a full AFL game or worse Khamis.
It's not unprecedented either, ash Johnson/Mcstay were rucking for pies at one point last season and Suns have relied on Burgess to Ruck at various stages when their rucks were injured.

Rather have too many rucks on the list than not enough. Surely there is a DFA ruckman that can be found somewhere?
Looks like it'll be Teakle. Definitely not a world beater and there is a reason he was delisted. However he will shoulder the load at VFL level and allow Darcy to spend time Ruck/forward. Teakle won't play AFL unless everything goes horribly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back