Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly Cam Rayner as a RFA end of 2025. Or we're just getting ready for Sam Darcy to be a $1.5M player.
Darcy will sign before the start of next seasona contract is already well down the line that will be similar to the Mac Andrew contract (half the years guaranteed/half based on a games trigger). Will be in the region of 1.3Mil per year.

Smiths given us nothing in 2 years.

Any upside from here is a bonus.

Rather send him to Richmond than get bent over by the Cats & help a competitor gunning for finals while we are too.

It's pretty simple.

Make a fair offer or **** off & don't get Smith.

I hope Power sees it the same way.
If a trade doesn't get done I don't think he actually goes into the PSD. He probably goes into the ND, still able to put a price on his head, and hopes no-one picks him up before Geelong. I'm not sure which other team would pick him up in the first round knowing he wants Geelong.

If a trade doesn't get done I don't think he actually goes into the PSD. He probably goes into the ND, still able to put a price on his head, and hopes no-one picks him up before Geelong. I'm not sure which other team would pick him up in the first round knowing he wants Geelong.
Noone is picking him up when he'll just pull the mental health trigger

Noone is picking him up when he'll just pull the mental health trigger
Agreed, which takes away the threat of "sending" him to the PSD. Sure we ask for more to start with, but we'd look very silly if we turn down Pick 15 + Pick 35 and then see him get to Geelong at Pick 15 in the ND, and it's hard to argue that Geelong didn't offer fair value if they had a credible pathway to getting him for even less.

Agreed, which takes away the threat of "sending" him to the PSD. Sure we ask for more to start with, but we'd look very silly if we turn down Pick 15 + Pick 35 and then see him get to Geelong at Pick 15 in the ND, and it's hard to argue that Geelong didn't offer fair value if they had a credible pathway to getting him for even less.

Yeah he’d nominate for the ND and likely get there - no one is burning a first round ND pick on him if he doesn’t want to play for them.

To add to the list of players who left and embarrassed us, I would add Patrick Bowden, Wade Skipper, Jason Tutt, BTC, Michael Martin, Jordan McMahon.
How could you forget Nathan Hrovat!!

But in all seriousness I think only 2 players have really left and embarrassed us in the last 20 years: Callan Ward + Shaun Higgins.

But you know what they would've had if they stuck around? 🏆🥇

Good news Smiley. I have not liked what I have seen of him for 3 years after what we thought we were getting.

Between being overweight, pointing at others like Shaun Higgins, kicking like…a genuine spud it is time to cash in on the hype.

People comparing him to Stringer? Stringer 2015 was All Australian and twice the player of this bloke. He doesn’t have the ferocity to be a great player. Fortunately Sam Darcy has it in spades.
Jamarra doubled his goal output from years 2 to 3 and this season, he added another 8 goals to end up with 43. Even with just natural progression and not hitting superstar levels, he’s well on track to be 50+ goal a year key forward and that would have him in the top handful in the league.

He’s not perfect and there’s plenty to work on, but even when not factoring the upside that he has, Jamarra will still be an A Grade key forward without doing much more.

Don’t take him for granted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy will sign before the start of next seasona contract is already well down the line that will be similar to the Mac Andrew contract (half the years guaranteed/half based on a games trigger). Will be in the region of 1.3Mil per year.
By the end of that deal, assuming he kicks on with his development, 1.3M would be well unders in a few years.

I’m also interested on how a failed trade would affect the relationship between cotton on and Smith and to a lesser extent with Geelong.

They have a pretty heavy investment in this situation and would prefer Geelong do the trade than not. That must be some added impetus to the Cats to offer up decent compensation.

We really need to hold a strong line here.
Cotton On have been paying Smith for the past 2 years for him to move to Geelong.

No way they don't let him get there. We just need to squeeze.

Hence my concern about 50% of our forward line taking up circa $3.5m+ a season very soon.

I just can't see us keeping all of Darcy, Naughton and JUH.

Whether they're pried from us or we initiate something....?

Hence my concern about 50% of our forward line taking up circa $3.5m+ a season very soon.

I just can't see us keeping all of Darcy, Naughton and JUH.

Whether they're pried from us or we initiate something....?

If they function as we think they should and play as they should we can afford it because they will be unstoppable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back