Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t players wait to they get to their club of choice before rubbishing their old club?
Why would Sam Power and the Dogs want to accommodate this move?
If Smith wants to treat us like the sh*t on his shoes , we should show him the same respect.
Just you wait for what he has to say in a month's time. This board nearly went into meltdown over Dunkley saying Lions did more running then the Dogs. Baz will send the place nuclear.

Are you ****ing kidding me!?!?

What ABSOLUTE horseshit.

7b259e97e358cb2d8eb2561b786fe026.jpg

Only been here for 5 years and he was injured for one of them, ****ing spare me this bullshit about being stagnant here.

My god, if we're triggered about Baz making a vague, obviously scripted response that doesn't criticise the club in any way, shape or form, this is going to be a rough few months.

Wonder if Geelong are having second thoughts about his character. How could you not? Connors is either advising him poorly (hard to believe - more that he can't control his client) or Smith is showcasing how immature, dumb, and self-centred he is.

Any club interested in him would have to be wondering if he's worth the trouble, and that's even without taking into account questions around his footy vs off field preferences.

At this point I'm annoyed we ignored the warning signs predraft.

My god, if we're triggered about Baz making a vague, obviously scripted response that doesn't criticise the club in any way, shape or form, this is going to be a rough few months.
I don't think anyone is really triggered. Pretty much everyone wants him gone.

It is funny though that even with a scripted response he still comes off looking dumb as ****

Any legs to this Will Brodie rumour?

Why would anyone take him seriously? He's seriously unhinged
Because people like to react and often over react no matter the person it comes from. It's what has been keeping Barret and Cornes employed for so long, no one takes them seriously yet many tune in to see what ridiculousness they will spurt next. Smith is the same except morphed with some weird thirst trap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because people like to react and often over react no matter the person it comes from. It's what has been keeping Barret and Cornes employed for so long, no one takes them seriously yet many tune in to see what ridiculousness they will spurt next. Smith is the same except morphed with some weird thirst trap.
I'd be surprised if he could even articulate his thoughts. The bloke hasn't got two brain cells to rub together.

What utter garbage. Didn't explain anything just more 'Poor me, I'm the real victim here. Look at meeeee'.

Give me a spell. We've all Cottoned On to the reason why he's leaving 💰

This is a bloke that clearly checked out of the club a long time ago.

Makes my blood boil.

Most marketable player in the game? Spare me.

What utter garbage. Didn't explain anything just more 'Poor me, I'm the real victim here. Look at meeeee'.

Give me a spell. We've all Cottoned On to the reason why he's leaving 💰

This is a bloke that clearly checked out of the club a long time ago.

Makes my blood boil.

Love Luke Darcy’s response!
Jeremy Cameron plus 2 1sts!
(Pity we don’t need a Cameron) but it does imply we ain’t letting Baz go for peanuts?

Just you wait for what he has to say in a month's time. This board nearly went into meltdown over Dunkley saying Lions did more running than the Dogs. Baz will send the place nuclear.

The thing is he's full of s***.

The more he opens his mouth the more he reveals himself as a complete self absorbed, narcissistic d***head.

I have a feeling the club has far more dirt on him than he has dirt about the club, so bring it on.

His comment is basically just an admission that he sees himself as too far down the midfield pecking order here. We heard the rumours a year ago of him being unhappy with not getting inside mid time.

He wasn’t in the same league as Bont, Libba and Treloar before the ACL. He just watched Ed Richards take the spot he wanted and do it better than him, and would be fighting with Sanders next year for fifth/sixth banana. He’d probably just be going straight to a wing or back to half forward in Macrae’s spot if he didn’t leave.

He wants to be a star mid and he’s not good enough to be that here next year and possibly the year after. That’s the crux of it.

Last edited:
We had a stacked midfield for years. Dunkley, Lipinski, Macrae and Smith left for more opportunity. And realistically, Dunkley was the only one we wanted to keep.

Instead of being mad at the individuals who've left, maybe focus on why we've failed to achieve anything in that time despite boasting such talent...?

Retention is the key - if a player that you want to keep decides to go, you've already lost. Getting back some nice draft picks is a nice lottery, winning a trade doesn't mean much and historically there's not a lot of correlation between winning trade week and actually winning.

From a narrow trade perspective, we already lost the Bailey Smith situation when the relationship soured - whether that was because Bailey couldn't hack being down the pecking order or because of his own behaviour / narcissism, who knows? The return will rarely match the talent and output the player brings once the relationship breaks down. However, it also seems pretty clear that we're happy for him to go... so have we really lost? I'd argue, not really. We don't want him, he doesn't want us, and we'll pocket a few shiny things at the trade table for sure. But we could all benefit from realising two truths:

1. retaining players you want to keep is much more important than winning trade week, and we've done well on the retention front for a long time.
2. losing a player you weren't that keen to keep isn't such a big loss. We'll posture, kick up a fuss, drag it out and eventually get a decent, but inadequate return from Geelong. And as long as we draft well, develop well and build a culture that helps us retain players, we'll be just fine.

No need to stress about the theatre of trade week or the exact return we extract. I know that's the point of the thread, but in trade week we as fans so often lose the forest for the trees.

Him saying he’s outgrown the Club and that he won’t become the player he wants in our environment is a pretty big whack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back