Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Him saying he’s outgrown the Club and that he won’t become the player he wants in our environment is a pretty big whack.
That's the inference you've drawn, not what he said. He said, "But there’s a level of when you outgrow a place, or you just need a fresh change for whatever reason. I still love them, they’re still my mates. I won’t get too deep into it. I feel like I’d be doing myself a disservice for the player I want to become and the person I want to become by staying in the same environment but we’ll see."

'I need a change to get the best out of myself' is the media-trained response for, "Well you obviously can't tell them the real reason so this'll do."

Though it may not be in our best interests, this is one time I would seriously consider forcing a player into the draft

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I also seriously think we need to play hard ball with this trade, to the point that we could even re-draft him if we have the opportunity, rather than get screwed over with a less than satisfactory trade.

Smith's behaviour has been nothing short of disgraceful, and has effectively been dropping his own trade value, which assists whatever club he goes to rather than the Bulldogs. Great way to pay back the club who gave you your start and made you a star.

As a result, I'd argue that if he continues on his recent fall from grace as his career progresses, there won't be a lot of sympathy coming his way, not just from Bulldog fans but from the football community in general.

I think Bailey should change the people he is taking advice from, because they certainly aren't helping his image.

It would be ironic if Cotton On has to give him the flick due to fears their image could eventually be tarnished by association with someone who behaves like a selfish petulant brat.

Moves to his new Geelong house a d proceeds to embarrass himself by uploading a video of himself with a hard on
Seeing this video, my wife mentioned that it now Makes sense why he got so annoyed with Channel 7 and the Tim Watson story that was mentioned on SEN breakfast a while back during a preseason. Recovery session on the beach makes you shrink… it’s all about the “brand”

Wonder if Geelong are having second thoughts about his character. How could you not? Connors is either advising him poorly (hard to believe - more that he can't control his client) or Smith is showcasing how immature, dumb, and self-centred he is.

Any club interested in him would have to be wondering if he's worth the trouble, and that's even without taking into account questions around his footy vs off field preferences.

At this point I'm annoyed we ignored the warning signs predraft.
And didn't select the stable, talented and Bont idolising Butters instead.

Having screwed up once, we then screwed up again by not getting rid of him last off season.

Third time's the charm. Wheel the Trojan horse down to the gates of Kardinia Park. It makes us stronger and them weaker.

That's the inference you've drawn, not what he said. He said, "But there’s a level of when you outgrow a place, or you just need a fresh change for whatever reason. I still love them, they’re still my mates. I won’t get too deep into it. I feel like I’d be doing myself a disservice for the player I want to become and the person I want to become by staying in the same environment but we’ll see."

'I need a change to get the best out of myself' is the media-trained response for, "Well you obviously can't tell them the real reason so this'll do."

I think that it is a fair inference to draw though. "But there's a level of when you outgrow a place." Not a great inferential leap there.

Having screwed up once, we then screwed up again by not getting rid of him last off season.

Third time's the charm. Wheel the Trojan horse down to the gates of Kardinia Park. It makes us stronger and them weaker.
Impossible to say he "should have" been gotten rid of before the knee last year. By all accounts he was disappointed with his form dropping off 2nd half of 2023, had gotten himself fitter and who knows how his relationship with the club may have changed if he was winning games for us, on a cheapish contract for this one year.

Irrespective of his responsibility of his relationship with the club and players and the fact that other players have also done their knees, rehab can be a tough and lonely place.

Nobody pre-draft rated Butters higher than Smith.
IIRC our real debate was B King vs Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My god, if we're triggered about Baz making a vague, obviously scripted response that doesn't criticise the club in any way, shape or form, this is going to be a rough few months.
He's just confirming what we all know, he's gone.
Whatever he says is pretty irrelevant and it's pretty nuts to get upset by any statement he makes.

Impossible to say he "should have" been gotten rid of before the knee last year. By all accounts he was disappointed with his form dropping off 2nd half of 2023, had gotten himself fitter and who knows how his relationship with the club may have changed if he was winning games for us, on a cheapish contract for this one year.

Irrespective of his responsibility of his relationship with the club and players and the fact that other players have also done their knees, rehab can be a tough and lonely place.
He wasn't the lone ranger there.

Very possible to say we should've got rid of him before his knee. The line should have been drawn through him after the Collingwood game and a trade actively pursued pre-knee. Just my view of course.

I think that it is a fair inference to draw though. "But there's a level of when you outgrow a place." Not a great inferential leap there.
It's a fair inference to draw if the comment is truthful. My point is that it's the same exact comment that everybody is instructed to give when there are stretched relationships.

We all know it's not the real reason, no point reading into it as slamming the club.

Can we start a Bailey Smith thread to voice our dissatisfaction with the bloke there, I’m sick to death of hearing about him

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back