Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We didn't go around to the other clubs during trade week and try salary dump Macrae. The Saints sounded him out immediately after (obviously would have started during the season) and got him to commit to requesting a trade there because they think he will be a very good fit in their midfield. You can't then turn around and say oh but look at his contract, oh my, end of the draft pick at best dogs. You knew his contract when you got him to commit, we'd be pulling this piss asking for pick 24 for him, but a reasonable pick for a contracted player of his quality is not outrageous.

He was severely underplayed there in 2023. He has to take responsibility to because he had an awful season regardless of where he was playing but he really should have got opportunities.

When he went in when Treloar was out and played head to head roles against Carlton and Adelaide, he was probably our best player. 15 coaches votes in the two games, 30 and 37 touches. Then Treloar came back and he was back to half forward and having zero influence. Should've stayed in the midfield and played a role similar to what Richards played this year. There was room

Think he would have had a big year if he didn't do his knee because I think they would have given him those chances for sure. Do agree that Richards has gone ahead of him for now, but probably would have been handy to have both of them with our main midfielders closer to the end than the start of their careers. He was never staying after he did the knee unfortunately.

Treloar was much better than Smith in 2023. We probably leaned too hard on the main 3 though.

It's highly likely the club told Macrae in his exit interview that he might not be in our best 22 plans next year, and that we wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to seek a trade. I think being petulant about wanting a mid-40s pick would be standing in his way.

It’s interesting though because it’s hard to overstate how shithouse the Saints midfield is. And they’re about to play Marshall forward more and replace him in the midfield with bit of a stiff in Soldo. I reckon they’re coming out a little guns blazing on the posturing because they’re actually a little bit ****ed for next year if they don’t add a good inside mid like Macrae.

Re: Nader

Keep in mind during last year's trade period;

Taylor Adams went for pick 33, Shane McAdam went for pick 25 (2024), Esava went for pick 25, Tyler Brockman went for pick 44, Tom Fullarton went for pick 47 and the 43 that St.Kilda are playing hardball over was what they received for Jack Billings.

If it's not a salary dump, I wouldn't be settling for anything less than the 25 - 35 range.

Re: Nader

Keep in mind during last year's trade period;

Taylor Adams went for pick 33, Shane McAdam went for pick 25 (2024), Esava went for pick 25, Tyler Brockman went for pick 44, Tom Fullarton went for pick 47 and the 43 that St.Kilda are playing hardball over was what they received for Jack Billings.

If it's not a salary dump, I wouldn't be settling for anything less than the 25 - 35 range.

Good research and yes that range is about right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mojorisin mentioned half way through the year how much Jack was on it was nothing like 8OOk
I’m fairly certain he’s on 800k next year, but only 500k in 2026 and 27 so it averages out at 600k per year, and if he does fall off a cliff after next year the remainder is small relatively speaking.

I’d want a pick at or around 30, but I’m fully expecting it’ll be a third rounder.

I’m fairly certain he’s on 800k next year, but only 500k in 2026 and 27 so it averages out at 600k per year, and if he does fall off a cliff after next year the remainder is small relatively speaking.

I’d want a pick at or around 30, but I’m fully expecting it’ll be a third rounder.
saw something similar reported today I think. Next year is apparently the big year thats left in his contract.
Yeah that sorty of money we could evaporate pretty quickly signing Darcy and Richards, but if we're under no cap pressure then we can probably get those done anyway with Smith out

Saints are screaming out for a player like Macrae. A solid, highly skilled, reliable mid. You know what you're going to get and he'll deliver week in week out. That's worth more than a crappy third rounder. Pick in the 30s.

Saints risk blowing what little credibility they have, if they convince Macrae to request a trade to them and they don't follow through. Especially as Macrae is a definite need to bolster their paper thin midfield.

Pick 43 would not be great but given the service of Macrae probably take it just to facilitate the move and be seen to be taking care of a long term servant of the club.

Wish Macrae all the best just not so much on the team success if he gets to the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Trade and List Management Thread Part 7 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back