List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

If the CLUB rates Curtin as a top 3 talent and is willing to potentially give up pick 1 next season for 6 and 11 or 6 and F1 from Melbourne to grab him, I can understand parting with the F1.

Will hurt next year if we have another crap year, but it all depends how highly the club itself rates Curtin and whether missing out on 2024 top talent is worth it in their view.

Might not even be an option. North could well take him early at any rate.
We won't be getting that from Melbourne. It'll be a straight swap, if anything.

Or they are trying to spook us into taking their deal for pick 1 so we can grab Curtin with their pick 4 by making it sound like we cant get him trading our F1. That was my impression.

We have the no1 pick and apparently we are the loser here.

Hilarious.

When Reid walks out to packed 60k crowd at that stadium, he will never want to leave.

Lots of mining money flooding his way for sure. Now get him into surfing.

We have the no1 pick and apparently we are the loser here.

Hilarious.

When Reid walks out to packed 60k crowd at that stadium, he will never want to leave.

Lots of mining money flooding his way for sure. Now get him into surfing.
He already loves watersports, get Ginbey and Chesser to take him to God's country next time and he'll never want to leave.

I thought his vision was very good and execution under pressure very good.
But as somebody previously said “it’s a highlights package “.
It's pretty much what he does though. Plays as a loose defender, gathers the footy and distributes effectively. I really like his kicking style as it's not just a highlights package. 75%-80% efficiency by foot is really good for a defender and probably what he sits at.

To me though the fact that he doesn't do a lot else is why i'm staggered he's rated so high. Defends 1 on 1 fine but the rest of the time he's manufactured as a spare and doesn't have a lot of effect with it.
For a tall he's poor overhead, doesn't seem overly athletic & can't play forward. As a mid he is almost exactly Sheed, waiting for the extraction instead of smashing things with his size.

For a non bias view when investigating numbers for all positions it roughly paints him as (in a standard draft):
Fwd: Undraftable
Mid: 15-40
Key Def: 20-40
Gen Def: 15-25

This year is a bit weaker so you can bring numbers in maybe up to 5 places for an idea.

I hear Curtin is being compared to Pav what is his potential as a fwd?? Maybe WCE think they are drafting Allen's future partner. Based on that highlight reel his marking, evasiveness and decision making could work well in the fwd half. What is his set shot like?
By his manager I think it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another positive with trading our future first is that if we do go after English the incentive to match (if they can) is greatly diminished. Gives us more leverage.

To be honest, I have no issue with trading out F1 under the following circumstance:
  • The pick procured is not used on taking D.Curtin

Huh? Trading F1 to not take Curtin?

That's damned right. His positioning and handball are too limited for him to ever be a true midfielder as far as I am currently concerned and he doesn't body up well as a KPP against opponents who are of similar size.

He's talented no doubt, and will likely forge a relatively successful career for himself, but he's placed upon the Brander-Lukosius spectrum when this pick needs to be used upon a complete midfielder that doesn't involve question marks over potential position.

Whoever is selected with a pick of such value will need to be relied upon to carry the team during the next period of on-field success.

With H.Reid already within our grasp, and J.Walter locked into the Suns, there are only two players in this draft that I would consider trading F1 for: C.McKercher and R.Sanders.

McKercher won't get past North's opening picks, so Sanders is the only worthwhile option to chase for a future-pick trade.

Now I've rated "the Colonel" very highly all year, indeed much higher than most still seem to be doing so (I place him at 4). I also rate the top two midfielders of this draft [McKercher, Sanders] to be on par with the top tier of those in previous drafts and the (already overly-hyped) expectations of next year's draft.

If Sanders played for Vic Metro rather than the Allies and there were no "potential" Tas19 flight risk, there is no chance at all that he would be considered outside the top 5 after the season he has just had.

That "flight risk" won't come around until 2028. That's four full years of development and a lifetime away in football terms. Say, for whatever reasons he ends up at the Eagles - it's just as likely the club will be back on the up by then and he would rather stay there than join the new expansion club and be back at the foot of the table again.

I've stated on previous occasions a potential midfield axis of Ginbey-Hewett-Reid-Sanders would be a product whose components complement each other very well. And then you still have Chesser, Long, Burgiel and Culley there to rotate through as well - it's certainly an exciting prospect.

If the club were to gain Sanders through trading a future pick on draft night, I would be largely happy with that outcome.

Plus it gets another one over the tin-rattlers, legitimately taking their fraudulent NGA player that they wanted extra handouts for.

So NN, who has a young family at home, has gone to Melbourne 4 nights early so he can hand a jumper to a player. Seems legit.
If you think that's crazy, imagine what he'd be doing every second week if he didn't retire a year early? :oops:

Wait, he'd be injured, I played myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back