List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Do you support the club trading for picks 2 and/or 3?

• Yes Trade for 2 & 3

• Yes But Only For 2 or 3

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been plenty of cases where players haven’t got what they’ve wanted and had to come back to the club.

To me picks 9&17 aren’t enough and I don’t see Fremantle getting much else together to make it happen.

They won’t chew into any picks for next year as they have Warner in their sights.
They're a Bolton away from top 4 +.
They know it
We know it
9 & 10 it will be.

Is there any real news with regards to trades for **** sakes?
Bored Nothing GIF

In 2022, North had Simpkin, Larkey, LDU, Xerri, Zurhaar, Curtis, Scott and Powell. I have excluded JHF, McKay, Ziebell, Goldstein and any other players that will not be around when/if North challenge.

We will not have better long term prospects heading into 2025 than the bolded players listed above. Taranto, Hopper, Balta, Gibcus, Rioli Jr, Ross, etc. are not better. They are arguably substantially worse.

Unlike RT, at least you understand what I’m saying, but I feel you’re overrating the quality of our young players. They’ve barely shown anything at the highest level. Plus the positions you listed are the hardest to fill apart from ruck.

We have some meat and potatoes (albeit of very low quality). It’s going to be a long road back. North are 2-3 years ahead of us with their rebuild but I feel we’re coming from further back.

This talk of us being Hawthorn prior to Buddy and co joining is absolutely laughable.

North should have sufficient talent now to rise right up the ladder eventually. But those bolded players in 2022 were not collectively clearly better than what Richmond has on the list right now(in terms of players likely to still be there in 5+ years time.) Our players look worse than they are due to the team facing insurmountable injury headwinds in 2024.

In 2022 Xerri was not getting a regular game. Powell was struggling after showing some early promise. Scott was getting agame and not much more. Curtis wasn't getting near it too often. Zurhaar was the same age with a similar player rating to Mansell in 2024. Simpkin was a competitive mid but not any sort of level we wouldn't be able to find readily with rd 1 picks. Larkey was being pilloried by North supporters and had a season where he was barely getting above 2 goals + assists per match as their 24yo focal point. Uniacke was starting to show up as a high level mid, but we are not talking about anything earth shattering.

Our players with higher end ability are in different area because that is what was available when our picks came at the draft.

But let's look at this clearly. What is actually on our list 27 and below with decent value:

Hopper, Taranto, Rioli, Bolton, Balta, Baker, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Ross, Maurice Rioli, Graham, Campbell....this is not even an exhaustive list of all the players we own right now 27 or younger, who have shown at least as much as at least one of your North guys had by 2022(you set the bar.)

North didn't have anything like that sort of value on their playing list, not even close. So ok, we are going to trade out 3-4 of those guys for about 5-6 rd 1 picks it seems. North weren't in any position to do anything like that. uniacke would have been their only player who could have commanded a top 10 pick in a trade. So our instant talent is about to be pared back to somewhere like what North might have had on their list in 2022. Actually, they had Horne-Francis to trade out. They got 2 rd 1 picks for him and were able to take 5 rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts. We are about to unleash about 7-8 rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts. And ours will be coming into a club still half full of highly successful experienced players. They are 2 years down the road needing to recruit Darling, Parker and players of that nature to provide leadership.

We have a decently valuable playing list that was decimated by injuries in 2024. We have just come to a fork in the road where we need to find quality key mids and key forwards to build a premiership team. And the draft to get those players has presented us with a gilt edged opportunity because we have valuable players to sell to get the picks to get into the draft.

I think a lot of people are under-rating the ability of the remnants of our list. There is half a future team there already. In 2024 with one of the worst injury lists I can ever recall seeing in 50 odd years, we were only completely blown out of the water twice. We were properly competitive in aorund 25% of our games and somewhat competitive in more than another 25%. If our players enjoy better health in 2025 I have no doubt we will make immediate improvement. But longer term it will come down to picking sufficiently talented players in the draft. If we do that, we will get our shot at it before too long.

Richmonds dilemma - do they give up pick 9 or 10 to Geelong to get Dekooning - which will be on traded to Western Bulldogs for Bailey Smith - unbelivable position that Richmonds has - Western Bulldogs are looking for an early pick for Bailey Smith !

North should have sufficient talent now to rise right up the ladder eventually. But those bolded players in 2022 were not collectively clearly better than what Richmond has on the list right now(in terms of players likely to still be there in 5+ years time.) Our players look worse than they are due to the team facing insurmountable injury headwinds in 2024.

In 2022 Xerri was not getting a regular game. Powell was struggling after showing some early promise. Scott was getting agame and not much more. Curtis wasn't getting near it too often. Zurhaar was the same age with a similar player rating to Mansell in 2024. Simpkin was a competitive mid but not any sort of level we wouldn't be able to find readily with rd 1 picks. Larkey was being pilloried by North supporters and had a season where he was barely getting above 2 goals + assists per match as their 24yo focal point. Uniacke was starting to show up as a high level mid, but we are not talking about anything earth shattering.

Our players with higher end ability are in different area because that is what was available when our picks came at the draft.

But let's look at this clearly. What is actually on our list 27 and below with decent value:

Hopper, Taranto, Rioli, Bolton, Balta, Baker, Gibcus, Brown, Mansell, Ross, Maurice Rioli, Graham, Campbell....this is not even an exhaustive list of all the players we own right now 27 or younger, who have shown at least as much as at least one of your North guys had by 2022(you set the bar.)

North didn't have anything like that sort of value on their playing list, not even close. So ok, we are going to trade out 3-4 of those guys for about 5-6 rd 1 picks it seems. North weren't in any position to do anything like that. uniacke would have been their only player who could have commanded a top 10 pick in a trade. So our instant talent is about to be pared back to somewhere like what North might have had on their list in 2022. Actually, they had Horne-Francis to trade out. They got 2 rd 1 picks for him and were able to take 5 rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts. We are about to unleash about 7-8 rd 1 picks over the next 2 drafts. And ours will be coming into a club still half full of highly successful experienced players. They are 2 years down the road needing to recruit Darling, Parker and players of that nature to provide leadership.

We have a decently valuable playing list that was decimated by injuries in 2024. We have just come to a fork in the road where we need to find quality key mids and key forwards to build a premiership team. And the draft to get those players has presented us with a gilt edged opportunity because we have valuable players to sell to get the picks to get into the draft.

I think a lot of people are under-rating the ability of the remnants of our list. There is half a future team there already. In 2024 with one of the worst injury lists I can ever recall seeing in 50 odd years, we were only completely blown out of the water twice. We were properly competitive in aorund 25% of our games and somewhat competitive in more than another 25%. If our players enjoy better health in 2025 I have no doubt we will make immediate improvement. But longer term it will come down to picking sufficiently talented players in the draft. If we do that, we will get our shot at it before too long.
In Hindsight they should have got George to pull the boots back on !

The fact you can't see the difference between us and North is hilarious. You use revisionist approaches to compare lists from yester-year to ours without considering how it was viewed at the time.

The massive differences have little to do with the lists themselves but you are too caught up in the players themselves to see it. The differences are in the clubs themselves. The DNA. The intangibles. North are a minnow club, always have been and probably always will be. The die is cast. Doesn't mean they can't succeed from time to time. The Hawks are now a team that wins GFs every 3-4years on average since 1960. They will just rebound quicker. It's the same reason the Saints seem to perennially struggle. Get close but can't get it done.

It's about belief of the club in itself, not the players' ability individually (or collectively). If you had put the Hawks list at the Saints, they wouldn't have made that same barnstorming run and the Hawks probably make a better fist with the Saints list.

They are just better at developing talent by and large over time.

Our success or otherwise has less to do with who we do or don't have but how we develop them and get them to work together. For many years we struggled with that. I'm confident the club is now a proper and more than comptetent club and they can handle this challenge unlike the club we were in the 80s, 90s and 2000's.

In 2017 we won a flag with a team no-one rated... including a lot of posters on here. Go and read the comments from 2016. If you asked then how far a team with Castagna, Butler, a solidly built kid drafted at 50, some mature-aged blond surfy-looking dude from WA, a back up Swans ruckman, an under-performed mid/mid-forward who was on his third crack, a slow lefty who kicked sky balls into the forward line would go... you'd have been told they'd most likely miss the 8. When told their former best player was outm, you'd lock it in.

We aren't going to win the flag in 2025 and that isn't what I'm getting at but no-one 'knew' how good or bad we were going to be then and no-one 'knows' how quickly we will or won't bounce back. It could be 37 years or 3 years or 6 or anything in between. You think longer, good for you. Some think shorter, good for them.

You can have an opinion but that's all it is. Stop trying to mock other posters who don't agree with you. Everyone on here has the exact same insight you do - none or not much. We have thoughts, beliefs and theories... but that's all they are. If you doubt that, go back and read through 2016 again.
It’s the DNA. It’s the intangibles. It’s the vibe. It’s the constitution. It’s Mabo.

I hear you. Although we have to remember that Baker and Bolton want to go to WA. The WA teams aren’t chasing them with big deals. It’s just a perfect coincidence that all these picks are with the WA teams.

Got to also take in account what the managers relationships with each clubs list manager is like too.

There’s still some more to play out here.
Don’t agree. Freo have been on the Bolton recruitment chase for most of this season. They will pony up, don’t worry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmonds dilemma - do they give up pick 9 or 10 to Geelong to get Dekooning - which will be on traded to Western Bulldogs for Bailey Smith - unbelivable position that Richmonds has - Western Bulldogs are looking for an early pick for Bailey Smith !

In a heart beat

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WTF?

The only reason we think 13 is fair is because we have zero leverage. Throwing in a 3rd rounder is ludicrous. If Baker was under contract, then we wouldnt be letting him go for pick 13.

And... one more point. I dont care if we end up with a thousand picks, we shouldnt be throwing any away to sweeten any deal. The more picks we have, the more clubs will come begging for them to either:

a. collect points
b. jump the queue to get a player they want
c. get into this years draft and sell out of next years

Mark my words... we should not give ANY picks away in the trade period. Not one! Given the depth of this draft, our phone will be ringing before EVERY selection on draft night. And watch what is thrown at us just to jump 1-2 spots.

Every club will be ringing and saying... "we want player X, what will it take for you not to select him?".
Richmond - either tell em to cough, or watch them pony up.

We could end up with a draft haul for next year similar to this years. And this will be happening right the way through to the third and fourth rounds. Remember... you can trade picks once the trade period is closed, so l wouldnt even be trading with Brisbane until after the trade period. The longer we make them wait, the better for us. And if they try to collect the points from another club... we'll just pick Ashcroft first and make them pay even more.

The only thing we should be doing during trade week is collecting the best AND as many draft picks as possible. Even if we've got 25 picks... they'll be jizzing over us to get them on trade night.
Clubs generally don't reveal which player they are trading up for, although I am sure there is intel on which club wants which players.

I agree we will do our best work on draft night and in the second night of the draft. Need to maximise our hand before then.

Baker although uncontracted we still have the advantage of having the no 1 pick in the PSD. Baker and his management will be trying hard to get fair compensation for Richmond.

don't know what Versailles is talking about we're clearly the 2004 hawks

we already have hodge's son

View attachment 2123125

and i reckon our sam mitchell could be

View attachment 2123126

or maybe superstar sonsie could be sam mitchell instead

maurice rioli is also clearly analogous to stewie dew

our list is in good shape for a premiership in 3 years !
Mate Colina is basically prime Shane Crawford. The resemblance is uncanny!

That isn't happening, Freo have made it pretty clear Bolton is their main target, they won't back flip on that decision.

This here kiddies is what is known as a burner account specifically used to troll Richmond at certain times of the year
no burner account mate. Just a passionate Richmond supporter that’s able to take the goggles off and look at the reality.

And my comment was a bit of a piss take at the poster. considering in a previous post he belittled another by saying that there’s no way freo would give up 9 & 10 for Bolton then 4 days later in his next post he was claiming that 9 & 10 was a done deal. ‘Take it to the bank’.

no burner account mate. Just a passionate Richmond supporter that’s able to take the goggles off and look at the reality.

And my comment was a bit of a piss take at the poster. considering in a previous post he belittled another by saying that there’s no way freo would give up 9 & 10 for Bolton then 4 days later in his next post he was claiming that 9 & 10 was a done deal. ‘Take it to the bank’.
Nah you dont pass the sniff test. I call troll

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency Part 10

Back