List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cerra and Lewis Young both said in their radio interviews that Carlton is an amazingly well ran club with a really exciting young list

View attachment 1256111

the fu** can anyone say that with a straight face
I am pretty sure now, like 80%of their best 22 has been traded in.

After bids;

9-17-26-28-37-39

This is where I think we are better off trading 28 for 23 and 38 and 40 for 44 and 45 with the Bulldogs

If I am reading this right we get a pick upgrade in the twenties, Bulldogs get more points 40 or so net because I assume bidding does not alter the points position value of the picks. The Bulldogs do not need any extra picks its just a shift in pick placings

and after bids its something like 9-17 23 27 42 43 for RFC After bids we might lose a little overall slightly in terms of placing shifts but gain in the twenties which counts for more while losing a little bit in the forties

Then if need be picks 42 or 43 could be traded for a future at the equivalent of a early third round. It might be better for us 42,43 might be 40,41 with bidding( the bidding process gets a little confusing for me in terms of cumulative effect regarding actual order that is used for players/draftees)

Bulldogs get more points but it helps a later pick or so for them to come live even if for a trade because they meet their point quota for Darcy easier and it does not cost them a list placing or anything given its just a pick shift. 28 is a handy draft position the Bulldogs can work with again to suit whatever option they choose to do

Last edited:
I'd Horne is rowell/Walsh level why would they accept
Rowell is not Walsh level. Or Horne level.

they wont for pick #15 , Pick #7 they might take $250k
Depends how keen they are to offload him.

Hawks: Please take Mitchell
Blair: Gee, I'd really love to wanna help you there, Flanders. What about pick 28.

After bids;

9-17-26-28-37-39
I make it 9-17-27-28-36-38 if Dogs and Pies keep 23 and 27. But there's also a Fahey (GWS academy) bid that will come somewhere in the first 25 or at latest we'll bid at 27/28.

So currently we have 4 spots available, if we delist Garth 5, could we move Cumberland to the rookie list or Biggie if we delist Egg?
Which means we could make a play at an established player and still bring in 5 young kids?
Other thing could be worth thinking about would we be prepared to trade Pickett to a WA club for pick or player?

So currently we have 4 spots available, if we delist Garth 5, could we move Cumberland to the rookie list or Biggie if we delist Egg?
Which means we could make a play at an established player and still bring in 5 young kids?
Other thing could be worth thinking about would we be prepared to trade Pickett to a WA club for pick or player?

I think our rookie is full so essentially any players we delist will add to senior list space. We have 4 spots so would have to delist 2 players to draft 5 and pick-up an establish player.

Can't move players from the senior list to the rookie list until after the National Draft

All the Coleman Jones deal proves is that the PSD threat is overplayed by the average fan. Only in extreme circumstances of clubs being completely unreasonable is it ever used.

Going to be fun to death ride Norf next year.
North literally said they wouldn't use the PSD multiple times. The only one using it as leverage was North fans.

Why do i feel dirty for thinking about Tom Mitchell playing for Richmond

I want it but feel its the wrong thing
Because it is the wrong thing. Look at Hawthorn topped up trying to remain a threat for the flag and now they're stuck in no mans land, with not much youth coming through and now desperate to move on a lot of those top ups to try and rebuild their list.

We've got the core of premierships still around and we've got a number of talented kids ready to make their mark, so trust them to come in and step up. If not and we can't achieve one last flag, then our rebuild has already started as we've added 5 kids inside the top 30 and have another 3 top 30 picks next year.

I can understand how the short term benefit is attractive, but we're not a team that takes short term views, we play the long game. It started when Gale released his ambitious plan of 3 flags in a decade and didn't deviate from it. So lets not deviate from the plan now that we know delivers success.

As Dimma says often, take 1 step back to go 2 steps forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really good result for us trading into 2022, how good will it be if we end up with the last R1 pick and first R2 pick next year 🙏.

Good on Norf too, it could of got very messy.

We still have to pick the right players, but loving how are going about preparing to be a big player for the next decade.

Hope we go to the draft, no helping the Hawks with their rebuild, we already have the cattle to win it next year, just need a decent run with injury

We already have 7 rookies, so 1 has to go and can’t be replaced, presumably it will be Egg as apart from stack who is reportedly about to sign and Miller who the club supposedly rate highly the rest are all contracted. The rumours surrounding Pickett going home seem to have gone quiet. Caddy could still find a new home yet and Cumberland/Garthwaite are still a chance to be delisted. Think Biggie gets another contract, was always going to be a long term prospect so would be puzzling to delist now.

Conflicted how I feel about Ccj a big part of me thinks he’s a Judas campaigner and hope he has a mediocre career

The other part thinks even though he did cost people jobs he made sure we got adequate compensation

CJ is a campaigner…bc as you say he cost jobs,
CJ put the club under pressure at a time when the season was hanging by a thread….
we showed faith in him and gave CJ games pretty much as soon as his suspension ended only for him to show us the middle funger

CJ didn’t ensure we got adequate compensation….that award goes to Blair…

Last edited:
Well done! Patience is a virtue. Have faith sometimes. Despite 3 decades of crap, we've been far better in the last decade. Ok ignore Yarran
I was never a big fan of the Yarran trade even in the lead up - thought he was flakey and a bit soft tbh. But it was only made into a real shocker with the benefit of hindsight. It's fine for people to criticise the Richmond list management team with not doing due diligence, but the sort of intelligence required on Yarran simply wasn't available. It'd be like us recruiting Docherty 12 months ago without demanding a look at his oncologist's report.

The age have reported that ever since CCJ requested the trade. They wrote that his manager and CcJ himself were against it.
Very understandable from player and manager pov. You could imagine that they'd have wanted some degree of certainty about where he's playing in 2022 and beyond. He can now start his official training with the Roos and not miss nearly two months of preparation. There's also that little skerrick of risk involved if he waits eg. would a serious knee injury possibly derail his potential $2M contract. No, just lock it in now while the Roos are keen.

But look a little deeper. It’s giving a future second back. And one of the first rounders is Melbourne’s, could easily be pick-18. So pick-23 v pick-18 let’s say close to cancel each other out.

So it sort of ends up 2 x pick-4’s v pick-1. Given JHF looks close to a sure thing to be an elite player, I wouldn’t take that deal either.
On the flipside, there's nothing to suggest that the Crows won't be vying for the spoon in 2022. I'm struggling to find any more than a couple of teams that are worse than them.

And then there's Melbourne. In the last five years, two premiers have slipped out of the 8 the following year. The Bulldogs just seemed to lose their way immediately after an epoch-drought-ending flag, and the Tigers were struck down with a raft of extended and extensive injuries to critical players after 2020.

How might the Dees respond psychologically to their flag? What would an injury to any three of Gawn, Oliver, Petracca, May and Lever look like for them? They are as dependent on their top handful of players as any other team in the comp. And yes, they're also a system-based team as well, but so were we until we got punched in the face in 2021. West Coast finished 5th in 2019, and they were a monster team in 2018. The Dees could just as easily finish outside the top 4 if recent history is anything to go by.

I'm not 100% certain I'd do the North-Crows deal either, but the Roos could just as easily be knocking back Picks #1-ish, #4 and #14-ish for Horne-Francis. But then again, so could Adelaide.

Really good result for us trading into 2022, how good will it be if we end up with the last R1 pick and first R2 pick next year 🙏.

Good on Norf too, it could of got very messy.

We still have to pick the right players, but loving how are going about preparing to be a big player for the next decade.

Hope we go to the draft, no helping the Hawks with their rebuild, we already have the cattle to win it next year, just need a decent run with injury
Agreed, and for a bit of perspective on our 2nd and 3rd rounds picks this year compared to our picks last year.

Going into the draft last year we had 20-40-MRJ (51)

Compared to our 2nds this year 26-28, only a handful of spots lower than our 1st last year

And our 3rds this year 38-42 which are close enough to our natural 2nd pick last year.

Oh, and a 2nd next year, which as you said, is about the same value as our last 4 picks in the 1st round.

CJ is a campaigner…bc as you say he cost jobs,
CJ put the club under pressure at a time when the season was hanging by a thread….
we showed faith in him and gave CJ games pretty much as soon as his suspension ended only for him to show us the middle funger

CJ didn’t ensure we got adequate compensation….that award goes to Blair…

.…CJ is just a bystander and couldn’t handle the thought of being left hanging until PSD

not a fan

It's a selfish move, but he's also been in the system 5 years and knows that 2022 he'd be at the back of the queue at tiger land. I think his reasons of wanting to play more senior footy are completely fair , no player owes a club imo as clubs trade and move players along when it suits them.

Christ! He looks very, very good on the footage I've seen but how little faith does it show in your recruiting team if you knock back that deal?
"We've been set on him as no.1 since April so we haven't bothered looking at anyone else...."

Would be rioting if I was a Roos supporter.
Or maybe they've been watching them all closely, and realise the chasm between 1 & 4?

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Cerra and Lewis Young both said in their radio interviews that Carlton is an amazingly well ran club with a really exciting young list

View attachment 1256111

the fu** can anyone say that with a straight face
Because even a the girls at Mens Gallery will say you're hot and hung like Scottie Pippen for the right price.

Because it is the wrong thing. Look at Hawthorn topped up trying to remain a threat for the flag and now they're stuck in no mans land, with not much youth coming through and now desperate to move on a lot of those top ups to try and rebuild their list.

We've got the core of premierships still around and we've got a number of talented kids ready to make their mark, so trust them to come in and step up. If not and we can't achieve one last flag, then our rebuild has already started as we've added 5 kids inside the top 30 and have another 3 top 30 picks next year.

I can understand how the short term benefit is attractive, but we're not a team that takes short term views, we play the long game. It started when Gale released his ambitious plan of 3 flags in a decade and didn't deviate from it. So lets not deviate from the plan now that we know delivers success.

As Dimma says often, take 1 step back to go 2 steps forward.
The difference being Hawthorn traded out of the draft when winning flags while we have continued to bring kids in and have a stacked draft hand this year.

We are in the business of winning premierships. We won't be winning one for a while once Dusty and co are gone. We can win another one or two while we still have the GOAT and his mates. If we get them some help.

Don't trade the farm. Bring in one or two quality, experienced farm hands to extract the absolute most from a historic crop, while seeding the top paddock.

When caps are tight and picks are scarce and the coach is ringing around trying to flog off his stars, it's a buyer's market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back