List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played as a defender at the Lions and was just too skinny (no pun intended) and suffered as a result. Gippsland boy I think, has strong links back to Qld now - might work but would an Adelaide team take him first?
Yep, Newborough.

Can't recall at what point he went back, but think all 3 games he managed at AFL level were up forward.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

I absolutely get your point and agree that chances to get match winners are what you need to go for, as the B grade talent you can pick up from anywhere while the match winners you gotta draft or pay big.

But it is funny that our match winner that you mentioned was drafted at pick #29. #1 and #5 would close to guarantee a star player, but our 5 picks also have a good chance with good drafting.

Those 4 all went late because despite elite talent and traits they all had significant questions marks which is why they went so late (or not at all in Stacks case). And I think it was great drafting by us, as apart from Bolton we were in premiership mode, so we could take our time and develop them.

But the question marks reduce closer to the top, and while they’re are plenty of busts the best talents/most influential players of the last 20 years are top 5 picks or f/s

Riewoldt - 1
Hodge - 1
Judd - 3
buddy - 5
GAJ - F/S
Dusty - 3
Goodes - 43 (in 97 so I think still a bit in the dark ages of drafting)

The next closest is probably Fyfe and he was 20, an incredible pick. Cotchin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Mitchell, Rance, Scarlett and Bartel are just a level below.

Most of the time in most sports the best are very good from a young age. Having a top 5 pick is just about increasing your odds of landing an all time great.

Those 4 all went late because despite elite talent and traits they all had significant questions marks which is why they went so late (or not at all in Stacks case). And I think it was great drafting by us, as apart from Bolton we were in premiership mode, so we could take our time and develop them.

But the question marks reduce closer to the top, and while they’re are plenty of busts the best talents/most influential players of the last 20 years are top 5 picks or f/s

Riewoldt - 1
Hodge - 1
Judd - 3
buddy - 5
GAJ - F/S
Dusty - 3
Goodes - 43 (in 97 so I think still a bit in the dark ages of drafting)

The next closest is probably Fyfe and he was 20, an incredible pick. Cotchin, Pendlebury, Selwood, Mitchell, Rance, Scarlett and Bartel are just a level below.

Most of the time in most sports the best are very good from a young age. Having a top 5 pick is just about increasing your odds of landing an all time great.

Just wanted to pick a couple you may have missed
J.Riewoldt
A.Rance
D.Grimes
E.Betts
D.Zorko
L.Neal

Some players just mature at different times and some players just dont fit the physical mould the recruiters believe will make it D.Swan perfect example

what a cracking draft 2001 was (*denotes a Brownlow):

Pick 71 - Brian Lake 251 games
Pick 60 - Adam Schneider 228 games
*Pick 58 - Dane Swan 258 games
Pick 46 - Jarrad Waite 244 games
**Pick 40 - Garry Ablett Jnr 357 games
Pick 37 - Leigh Montagna 287 games
*Pick 36 - Sam Mitchell 329 games
Pick 32 - Campbell Brown 205 games
Pick 24 - Steve Johnson 293 games
Pick 17 - James Kelly 313 games
Pick 13 - Nick DalSanto 322 games
Pick 12 - Brent Reilly 203 games
*Pick 8 - Jimmy Bartel 305 games
Pick 7 - David Hale 237 games
**Pick 3 - Chris Judd 279 games
Pick 2 - Luke Ball 223 games
Pick 1 - Luke Hodge 346 games

Another 12 were in the 100 to 200 game category as well. And while a couple of those in 200+ category are not exactly household names, great service all the same - oh and one Goal Umpire - DRod)!

The following year, 2002 produced just 10 players 200+ No Brownlows and One Field Umpire (Leigh Fisher)

Last edited:

Another 12 were in the 100 to 200 game category as well. And while a couple of those in 200+ category are not exactly household names, great service all the same
Who the hell is Brent Reilly? LOL

Never heard of him. Must have been 200 underwhelming games 😂
Nothing like the 200 played in your head I'm guessing ;). As a kid I lived in fantasy land too - I always received a handball from Kevin Bartlett to kick the winning goal!:tearsofjoy:

Last edited:

Another 12 were in the 100 to 200 game category as well. And while a couple of those in 200+ category are not exactly household names, great service all the same - oh and one Goal Umpire!

The following year, 2002 produced just 10 players 200+ No Brownlows and One Field Umpire (Leigh Fisher)

I counted 5 Norm Smiff medalists as well in that list

Another 12 were in the 100 to 200 game category as well. And while a couple of those in 200+ category are not exactly household names, great service all the same - oh and one Goal Umpire - DRod)!

you forgot to add David Rodan @ 33 ...

You'll never convince some people on here. It's the equivalent if they had a hot girlfriend they'd excuse her cheating on them with their best mate or stealing from their wallet straight after sex. How dare anyone criticise the club in any way shape or form!!!! The only good thing about some of the views on here about negotiating skills is I'll be selling 2 townhouses next year and fools and their hard earned are easily parted.
How would you know, you never had a hot girlfriend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a huge yes for 7&15 and either next years 2nd or pick 26 for pick 2.

Finn Callaghan is going to be a star.
Paying massive overs imo. 3 picks for one 18 year old kid untried in senior footy? That’s madness imo. Need to have some faith in our List Management team

Skinner is too slow. Knees.

Incredible.

And we traded our first pick for a 27-year-old Stafford (could have had James Kelly, Stevie J, LRT or Brown), used 33 on Rodan (Mitchell, Montagna) traded our third for a 31-year-old Hudson (Swan, Schneider, Medhurst) and used fourth-round picks on Houlihan and redrafting Hyde when Lake was on the board. Completed the draft with Marty McGrath at 77 and Aaron James at 83.

Geniuses running the club at the time. :drunk:

Keen on him @ 15.
Think it's 9 or not at all for Goater. West Coast or Bummers will swoop.

I’m a huge yes for 7&15 and either next years 2nd or pick 26 for pick 2.

Finn Callaghan is going to be a star.
I want him too, but that's well overs.

Could do 26, 27, 28 to Essendon for 11 and 51. WC might opt for local talent.
Give up three consecutive picks in the second round for a mid first and a third? Hmm, I wouldn’t do that ever. Not given the commentary around the evenness of picks up to 30. Just my opinion

Paying massive overs imo. 3 picks for one 18 year old kid untried in senior footy? That’s madness imo. Need to have some faith in our List Management team
Well, what we think matters little and the List Management team will, and always will, be the ones making the decision. If they decide to go that way it won’t get an argument from me, and likewise if they happen to do the opposite.

Last edited:
Incredible.

And we traded our first pick for a 27-year-old Stafford (could have had James Kelly, Stevie J, LRT or Brown), used 33 on Rodan (Mitchell, Montagna) traded our third for a 31-year-old Hudson (Swan, Schneider, Medhurst) and used fourth-round picks on Houlihan and redrafting Hyde when Lake was on the board. Completed the draft with Marty McGrath at 77 and Aaron James at 83.

Geniuses running the club at the time. :drunk:
It would be impossible do it worse. Maybe they should have hired some people that actually watched footy.

It’s hard to imagination a club ever getting it so wrong.

You could have gone into draft day thinking of destroying the club, deliberately making bad picks, and likely would have still done better.

Yes…loads of players were going to be bonafide superstars …. but due to injury, confidence or mis-reading their ability it never eventuated. The main top-4 picks in my memory who were ‘guaranteed’ superstars (there are some very good players here, but not worth 2-3 x premium picks) that didn’t pan out:

Gibbs
Kreuzer
Scully
Boyd

I’d even be a little concerned about Rowell. Rowell was touted as the next Joel Selwood, and after 3 x BOG’s in his first 4 games they were counting how many Brownlows he’d win. Then 2 x serious injuries and he really struggled in his 10-games back… he looked slow.

I’m not saying he won’t get back to being a gun … fingers crossed he does. But it goes to show no matter how ‘safe’ a bet some players seem to be prior to the draft to be a locked and loaded star, lots of things can happen to upset those predictions.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Give up three consecutive picks in the second round for a mid first and a third? Hmm, I wouldn’t do that ever. Not given the commentary around the evenness of picks up to 30. Just my opinion
And who on earth would want to give them any assistance whatsoever!!! Let them suffer
That depends how badly we want another 1st round pick to target someone like Goater who will likely go between our 1st and 2nd picks. Got nothing to do with helping them.

Do we want the most picks in the top 30 or do we want the most picks in the 1st round.

That depends how badly we want another 1st round pick to target someone like Goater who will likely go between our 1st and 2nd picks. Got nothing to do with helping them.

Do we want the most picks in the top 30 or do we want the most picks in the 1st round.

Given how keen we were for pick 27 I would guess that means we see the top 30 as a gold mine. If we can get that deal for a player we reckon is A grade then go for it. But otherwise we look like going the portfolio of choice route. Pick a heap of quality and develop them hoping for 1 or 2 A graders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back