List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hobbs is no chance to be there at 11. He's very little chance to be there at 7.

I don't mind the deal you propose though, IF there's a player left at pick 11 that we rate higher. Maybe someone like Gibcus/Johnson could slide to that pick.

So who is your top 15?

I can't see too many falling over themselves over a mid that's predominantly inside with not a lot of X-factor. Bigfooty posts seem to lean my way to.

Even Callum thinks its only GWS and RFC mainly focusing on Hobbs up the order. Obviously Hobbs is going first round, most are not doubting that, how high each are rating against others in the basket is another matter so there should be no reason RFC should pay a premium for him if that is one of our choices

Last edited:
I still wouldn't change a thing. I'm just glad we stayed s**tful enough to get #2 in 2008 and #3 in the 2009 draft.

Too true, from little things - big thing grow.......

Is it Sinns pace and left foot that reminds you of Rance?

Was Rance a lefty, thought he kicked predominantly right but he was good with both. No, it is more Sinn's tearaway style and how he angles his body to avoid contact when he has the ball - just very good in those last gasp seconds of a contest - has great intensity. Remember early in Rance's career he turned it over a fair bit through sheer desperation sometimes - this got so much better with confidence and judgement - Sinn could go a similar way with good coaching I think. Just some traits.

Luke Jackson was 94kg in his draft year and even Tim English was 86kg (though 4cm taller), so it shows just how much he needs to put on before even getting close to an AFL playing weight
for those who go further back, remember what Brendon Gale looked like when he first started. He had to run around in the shower to get wet! Was a big unit in the end, but that was a 10yr transition.

And we traded our first pick for a 27-year-old Stafford (could have had James Kelly, Stevie J, LRT or Brown), used 33 on Rodan (Mitchell, Montagna) traded our third for a 31-year-old Hudson (Swan, Schneider, Medhurst) and used fourth-round picks on Houlihan and redrafting Hyde when Lake was on the board. Completed the draft with Marty McGrath at 77 and Aaron James at 83.

Geniuses running the club at the time. :drunk:
We were only a half-forward flanker away from a flag after reaching the prelim that year... :(

20 years ago heading into the 2002 offseason, we had just come off the prelim belting to Brisbane and proceeded to trade picks 2, 18, & 32 for Kane Johnson and pick 28 for Justin Blumfield. Blumfield played 2 seasons and Johnson was a serviceable captain, but looking at what we gave up for those 2 players with a 2021 lens is mind blowing. Thank fu** our football department has come along way in professionalism.

In 2021, Despite a list still in contention, we are hitting the draft hard with 2 first rounders and 3 seconds in the bank with some real thought and strategy in our approach. Despite some wanting us to trade for for the 2022 equivalent of Johnson and Blumfield in Tom Mitchell and Lipinski
hmm an interesting one that trade.

Tigers got Johnson, 12, 28, 41,
we ignored the draft and took Blumfield with 28 and we then used 41 and 48 on more mature players in Tim Fleming and Billy Nicholls. rounded our draft out with Daniel Sipthorp at 62.
crows got Torney , 2, 18, 32.

for those who go further back, remember what Brendon Gale looked like when he first started. He had to run around in the shower to get wet! Was a big unit in the end, but that was a 10yr transition.

Tried to find a pic of a young BG - game across this surprising pic though - the surprise was the size of Gil really!!

1635419085762.png 1635419292163.png

Last edited:
History won't be kind to us about the 2005 draft either MM.....

View attachment 1268324

And then we have ol Cleve Hughes and Travis Casserley - possibly even worse. Even our Pick 67 used on PASS was about as good as those picks
Gotta say though, that year wasn't the strongest top 20 I've seen (okay, it's 19). Pendlebury easily the best followed by Kennedy and Hurn and then nothing that makes you think, "****, we missed one there".

History won't be kind to us about the 2005 draft either MM.....

View attachment 1268324

And then we have ol Cleve Hughes and Travis Casserley - possibly even worse. Even our Pick 67 used on PASS was about as good as those picks
Richard Douglas - played 246 games. Never heard of the bloke .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
I'm starting to get really concerned with all the 'smoke' around here. A lot of rumours about us trading out picks 7 & 15 to move up a few spots in the draft. I feel this would be a HUGE mistake.

More than any other draft, beyond 4, the draftees are really a lottery based on exposed form. I think we are almost as likely to find a star at pick 28 as we are at 6. The players ability is just not as clear as they normally are, even with a amazing recruiting team like we have. If there was any year when having 5 players in the top 30 rather than a few in the top 20, its this year. The difference and certainty of selection is just not as concrete this year.

I'm starting to get really concerned with all the 'smoke' around here. A lot of rumours about us trading out picks 7 & 15 to move up a few spots in the draft. I feel this would be a HUGE mistake.

More than any other draft, beyond 4, the draftees are really a lottery based on exposed form. I think we are almost as likely to find a star at pick 28 as we are at 6. The players ability is just not as clear as they normally are, even with a amazing recruiting team like we have. If there was any year when having 5 players in the top 30 rather than a few in the top 20, its this year. The difference and certainty of selection is just not as concrete this year.

One Freo poster is worried about a rumour 6 and 19 for Adelaides 4.

Apart from the top 4, there is maybe another 6 or 8 and then another tier again just on my opinion which is not infallible

So for me, unless we get 2 from GWS, maybe Saints 9 but the rest is pointless unless someone gets lucky with a real slider for no real reason

I agree 5 picks within 28 will reap quality players.
Back yourself Tigers .
I am however happy to offer 2022 picks to get a higher picks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree 5 picks within 28 will reap quality players.
Back yourself Tigers .
I am however happy to offer 2022 picks to get a higher picks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I suspect for example Freo are going to jump the Hawks trying to get Erasmus via a Adelaide pick. We have a good rrecruiter in WA apparently and they have shown some form to. Freo look set to target two players, Erasmus being one.

We might have as good an idea as any given our scouts.

Obviously the recruiters and scouts have a bit more info than highlights, combine and the odd youtube video replay.

I think there is enough there to detect refinement and if the recruiters think they are on to a winner, go for it

I think we should trade for pick 9 St Kilda using 15 and other pieces. Saints might be interested in futures as less likely to want picks in twenties given Owens and their other NGA
thats horrendous on our behalf...

I know the point value of pick is not always relevant unless needed for NGA or Academy, but in the Saints Case it is.

Picks 26 + 27 are worth nearly the same as 9, so I wouldn't go anywhere near offering 15 in a deal.
If their NGA player is bid on from 19-25, they effectively upgrade pick 26 that we give them (sot it might end up being Pick 23+26), if the player is not, they get 2 players in a row, then get to use their late pick (plus a little carry over next year) for their NGA kid. It could be absolutely massive for them.

** second thought, we throw them 85 or whatever it is we have late, swings the swap in their favour slightly, but then they have the excess points if needed for the NGA selection, and we probably don't need 85 anyway

That would also leave us with 7, 9, 15, 28... a huge haul on our behalf...

We are in a great position, we hold the strong hand against most clubs, we shouldn't be giving up that position

thats horrendous on our behalf...

I know the point value of pick is not always relevant unless needed for NGA or Academy, but in the Saints Case it is.

Picks 26 + 27 are worth nearly the same as 9, so I wouldn't go anywhere near offering 15 in a deal.
If their NGA player is bid on from 19-25, they effectively upgrade pick 26 that we give them (sot it might end up being Pick 23+26), if the player is not, they get 2 players in a row, then get to use their late pick (plus a little carry over next year) for their NGA kid. It could be absolutely massive for them.

** second thought, we throw them 85 or whatever it is we have late, swings the swap in their favour slightly, but then they have the excess points if needed for the NGA selection, and we probably don't need 85 anyway

That would also leave us with 7, 9, 15, 28... a huge haul on our behalf...

We are in a great position, we hold the strong hand against most clubs, we shouldn't be giving up that position

How do you mean if their NGA is bid 19-25 they upgrade pick 26 we give them? If Saints are happy with picks in the twenties for 9 you sold me

How do you mean if their NGA is bid 19-25 they upgrade pick 26 we give them? If Saints are happy with picks in the twenties for 9 you sold me
If their kid is bid on at 20, they match, but get 20% discount from memory, so it would only cost them 729 points which is exactly what pick 26 is worth, if he gets selected after that, they would have a surplus of points after using 26, so they would win in that deal.

So Pick 26 +27 to them, could be the equivalent of picks 20 + 27 for 9.

If they choose to keep 9, no way they have enough points for the NGA kid, so either they let him go, or go into deficit next year, and not sure they would want to do that

So their choice comes down to, 1 really good kid at 9, OR two kids inside 27 and guaranteed to get the NGA selection.

I'm not saying they go for it, but that's what we should put to them.

I still see absolutely no way why we should be looking to give 15 in any shape as part of this deal... that would just be stupid on our behalf irrelevant of the saints position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back