List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble is most footy journos are too emotionally invested. Like all of us they follow their own team passionately and don’t like the idea of Richmond potentially contending so soon after a dynasty…. it’s supposed to be THEIR teams turn.

If they had half a brain they’d acknowledge that in the last 5-years we’ve secured Lynch and Tarrant. And ‘lost’ to retirement or trade of free agency:

Ellis
Rance
Markov
CJ
Chol
Butler
Higgins
Astbury
Caddy
Edwards
Houli
Lambert
Grigg

And Cotch and Jack have gone from $750k to $300k.

Gee, how can the Tigers possibly fit TT and Hopper in ….. muppet media!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You forgot towner......you're dead to me

Our list was not terrible,
You have a short memory Magic. The players you listed were kids, yeah had potential but our overall list was terrible. We finished 2nd bottom.
Early results

Thursday, 25 March (7:10 pm) Richmond 9.10 (64) def. by Carlton 18.12 (120)

Sunday, 4 April (4:40 pm) Richmond 7.6 (48) def. by Western Bulldogs 17.18 (120) MCG

Saturday, 10 April (7:10 pm) Sydney 16.15 (111) def. Richmond 7.14 (56)

Sunday, 18 April (1:10 pm) Richmond 11.12 (78) def. by Melbourne 20.13 (133) MCG

Sunday, 25 April (6:40 pm) Fremantle 15.22 (112) def. Richmond 11.7 (73) Subiaco Oval

Sunday, 2 May (1:10 pm) Geelong 24.17 (161) def. Richmond 7.11 (53)

And it goes on. A loss under 10 goals was a good result. To turn that around to making finals 3 years later is remarkable.

You have a short memory Magic. The players you listed were kids, yeah had potential but our overall list was terrible. We finished 2nd bottom.
Early results

Thursday, 25 March (7:10 pm) Richmond 9.10 (64) def. by Carlton 18.12 (120)

Sunday, 4 April (4:40 pm) Richmond 7.6 (48) def. by Western Bulldogs 17.18 (120) MCG

Saturday, 10 April (7:10 pm) Sydney 16.15 (111) def. Richmond 7.14 (56)

Sunday, 18 April (1:10 pm) Richmond 11.12 (78) def. by Melbourne 20.13 (133) MCG

Sunday, 25 April (6:40 pm) Fremantle 15.22 (112) def. Richmond 11.7 (73) Subiaco Oval

Sunday, 2 May (1:10 pm) Geelong 24.17 (161) def. Richmond 7.11 (53)

And it goes on. A loss under 10 goals was a good result. To turn that around to making finals 3 years later is remarkable.

You have to remember some of the crap we brought in to. PLus there was Yarran. It was not all roses as some like to make out.

Not sure the point you are trying to make, we had young talent on the up and we needed to develop before hopefully winning premierships.

You can bag young talent all you want. Look at Wilmot, then there was Graham in his first year, Aymiss is still playing finals in first year as key forward

Last edited:
Both these players will be highly valued at Richmond but are clearly not seen by GWS as integral to their side so the trade value will be a fair balance to reflect that, certainly not 4 first rounders and perhaps nearer to two possible 2nd rounders
Should not cost more than a box of Chicken Twisties!

What do people think about trading Short, Soldo and Castagna to Hawthorn for their picks 24, 42 and Kositzchki?

Would anyone begrudge Grimes if Brisbane approached us and offered their pick 13 for him on a 3 year deal, and he wanted to go?

He is currently contracted until the end of 2023.
I see school holidays have started early this year.

Jesus Christ.

What about the umpires screwing us over? What is the strategy? Less kicking to key posts so they can't be pushed out?
Easiest for me is to be good enough and far enough in front so that those critical decisions which seem to go against us more often than not won’t be the the difference between winning and losing.

Easiest for me is to be good enough and far enough in front so that those critical decisions which seem to go against us more often than not won’t be the the difference between winning and losing.

Yes but the umpires use certain decisions and non decisions to change the result. Do you not know what they are?

For example, if a midfielder is running forward, bouncing the ball, it is hard for the umpire to stop him and get the ball in the oppositions hands.

If Gawn is going for a mark, let the opponent push him out of the way and ignore the free kick. It is easy when one knows what to do as a umpire trying to contrive a result

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but the umpires use certain decisions and non decisions to change the result. Do you not know what they are?

For example, if a midfielder is running forward, bouncing the ball, it is hard for the umpire to stop him and get the ball in the oppositions hands.

If Gawn is going for a mark, let the opponent push him out of the way and ignore the free kick. It is easy when one knows what to do as a umpire trying to contrive a result
I just feel that you can only control what you can control and for me that is how sharp and organised we are on the field. What is your suggestion for getting around the huge frees against discrepancies we get handed every year? I’ve resigned myself to the umpires finding new and inventive ways to screw us each year

Carlton’s Will Setterfield and Liam Stocker are expected to attract interest from Essendon as the pair look to extend their AFL careers.

Stocker was delisted by Carlton after 28 games in four years while Setterfield has been asked to wait until after the trade period for a new contract.

Stocker was played largely in defence but was highly-rated by ex-Carlton list boss Stephen Silvagni when he was taken in the 2018 national draft.

Setterfield had shown promise as an inside midfielder but was squeezed out on to a wing after the Blues brought in George Hewett and Adam Cerra this year.

Liam Stocker could land at one of Carlton’s biggest rivals. Picture: Michael Klein

Liam Stocker could land at one of Carlton’s biggest rivals. Picture: Michael Klein

The Bombers liked Setterfield, who supported the Bombers as a child, in his draft class and considered taking him with the No. 1 pick alongside Andrew McGrath and Hugh McCluggage.

At 192cm, Setterfield could provide some size the Bombers require in the midfield.

The Bombers are also eyeing Stocker, who would could provide some hardness and long-kicking to the back half. Stocker’s fitness was an issue at Carlton but the youngster is keen to play on at AFL level next year.

Not fair that the Druggos are raiding a bottom dweller club

Would love to hear stack has hired a personal trainer for the off season and improving his fitness and burst speed but the whispers are indicating he may have already been given his marching orders

im hearing Stacky has hired Groupie_ as his personal trainer….cans, KFC, Arnotts, Domino’s, goon bag, lots of laughs …happy days

im hearing Stacky has hired Groupie_ as his personal trainer….cans, KFC, Arnotts, Domino’s, goon bag, lots of laughs …happy days
havent had dolminos since like 2005

asked on here if anyone knows if its good or not and what to get but nobody said anything

Pretty obvious GWS are trying to let Hopper go. He will be 26 next year I think if not older, hard to get any better at his age, is not a superstar, handy and they have more up and comers coming through with other guys on far more money. Pretty obvious Hopper has been identified as unnecessary surplus there especially from a value perspective.

Starting to get a few injuries to, I can see why GWS want to subtley move him on and get youngsters and other types in tom improve their list and structure

Compare Hopper to Brayshaw of Freo. Brayshaw has stepped right up. Hopper is not elite but has been good. Was a pick 7 but some suggesting he is top ten now is stupid beyond belief. Angus Brayshaw is of higher value because he can play wing, back as well as in the guts and can do good acts under pressure like kicking the goal last night despite their loss. Angus was also rated higher in his draft. They are better players. Hopper is handy to good but not right up there like others and certainly not a superstar or brilliant player/matchwinner

If we get Hopper we get Hopper, but if we do not I am not losing sleep over it. He is a honest toiler, can go both ways, is mainly inside and not much else, lets be honest with a bit more size. He is something we lack but someone no one would sell the farm for and is not brilliant for speed either. Hopper easily could dip in the years ahead, lets not kid ourselves here. I am not trying to sabotage this but others want to pump him up overly let them take the risk.

Hopper is not Jack Steele and has not broken out like Jack Steele. He looks to be a lessor player. That is not to say he is not handy and can contribute and play a role in a finals team. The point is Hopper is unlikely to break out from here because if he was he already would have. He has value and can play in a premiership team but he is not rated as high as some like to suggest

He made the AA squad in 2021 as a 24yo. This put him in the top 20 midfielders for the competition last year ….given there are 18 teams that’s a pretty glowing endorsement …. it certainly puts him in a higher echelon than a ‘handy’ player or an honest toiler… honest toilers don’t make AA squads.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WE have a better idea of the quality of the players we have at our disposal now.

We also are more aware of how we have gone with different assistants and what has happened with Stack and others in terms of improvement and other risks that have come our way.

RFC has won more premierships but to be fair Scott's tenure and route has been more impressive. I prefer premierships but their ability to cherry pick has been impressive at value
Scott's tenure and route has been more impressive????? He inherited a great team and took them to 1 flag. Hardwick and the board inherited a perennial cellar dweller and took them to not only 3 premierships but also a complete reversal in club fortune turning them into a highly successful and enviable organisation.

You can keep your Geelong jumper on, we are not offended, highly amused, yes, but not offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back