Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

So what was Scully traded for again? Odd example to kick off the thread.

Rhys Palmer for pick 135 is probably the coolest trade this year. Last year the final pick in the draft was 70. As it stands GWS have 14 picks in the draft before pick 135. They will probably use the first 3 or 4 then maybe some of the 5 they have in the 50s if there are academy kids to bid on (IIRC there are no touted stars this year). Personally I hope the trend continues and next year we see a player traded for pick 200. GWS could not use pick 135 without de-listing another half a dozen or so players so it's not like the AFL can say they gave up a pick they could theoretically use. How cool would it have been if Boomer played on and North traded him for pick 432?

The pick swap trades not involving NSW/Qld clubs baffle me. Carlton may not have lost out by that much under the AFL's made up points system but who the **** wants picks 48, 66 and 70 when you can have pick 30 odd? Carlton currently have 3 senior list spots and 0 rookie list spots available without further de-listings. Once you start getting into the 60s and 70s it's mostly rookie elevations and passes anyway.

The Saints/Hawks trade raised eyebrows, but it made sense given Hawthorn were desperate to have some decent currency to give for O'Meara and St Kilda unlike Carlton weren't going to help them for the sake of it. What Gold Coast ended up accepting vs what Hawthorn gave up to get to that point makes the mind boggle. Gold Coast should've taken Hawthorn's 2017 first round pick + 23 + 36 themselves and used their stash of picks in the 20s to try and get into next year's draft as early as possible.

Lynden Dunn for a pick swap from 47 to 51 looks funny when Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, Travis Cloke were given away for less. Feels like there are more players being given away for nothing as clubs value salary cap space more highly than even. What's also funny is that when everyone thought Sam Mitchell was being given away for nothing pick 88 will be Hawthorn's first in the draft so will actually be used.
Yep thats correct there will be quite a few more delistings at the blues and probably 2 rookie upgrades in possibly sheehan and kerbatieh so our lowest live pick wont be that late id expect .

palmer trade for pick 135 lol
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

Yep thats correct there will be quite a few more delistings at the blues and probably 2 rookie upgrades in possibly sheehan and kerbatieh so our lowest live pick wont be that late id expect .

Kerbatieh? I thought he's just at Northern Blues and not Carlton-listed? Could be wrong

Mitchell genuinely shocked me - even though it makes a lot of sense to both parties

But just the general nature of how it happened, plus there being next to no rumours circulating - or if there were, they certainly weren't getting much notable mention (not that I saw)

Just a wow trade all round. 10/10 would watch the reactions of posters to that trade again - particularly hawks and eagles posters.

Mitchell genuinely shocked me - even though it makes a lot of sense to both parties

But just the general nature of how it happened, plus there being next to no rumours circulating - or if there were, they certainly weren't getting much notable mention (not that I saw)

Just a wow trade all round. 10/10 would watch the reactions of posters to that trade again - particularly hawks and eagles posters.

lewd

that weird one at the end with carlton giving up a future second for 3 random hawthorn picks that they probably won't even use. Something fishy went on there.. bolts doing his old team a favor

When you look at Carlton's trading overall it makes sense.

As part of the Gws deal we traded out a pick in the late 40s, and a pick in the 50s this year, and got back the giants future second (that was a side bar to marchbank etc).

The Hawthorn trade essentially reverses this - we gave up the giants future second, and got back a pick in the 40s and a late pick.

Remember, the giants future second is likely to be late 30s. Given that this is considered a deeper draft, we basically prefer pick 48 and 60 this year to 38 next year. No shenanigans there

It's hard for me to get past the Ryder trade. It's not so much that we lost a difficult-to-replace star, or that his reasons for leaving were dubious, or that we got minimal return for his quality/market value as per Ports contract offer. That all sucked.

No, the killer was that his teammates, and supporters, who had been denied a finals series the year before and then busted a gut/supported hard all year to see us make a final, were to find out on the eve of that final that he was leaving the club. What a complete dampener to throw upon us as we were getting excited to play North at the G...

So it's not so much the trade itself but the circumstances in which it became a fair accompli.

In 6 of Richmond's 8 wins this year, Deledio was playing. His win-loss ratio this year was actually positively skewed (6-5), don't think many Tigers could say that. He was a pretty important player for Richmond. Sam Mitchell's career is pretty much over at this point, his 34 and would be lucky to play in 2018, whereas Deledio is 29 and would be unlucky to not be playing in 2019. I think some people undermine the weight of Deledio's move a little bit, yes he severed his club well and left on okay terms, but his old side could struggle without him next year (which history shows they always do), if Prestia doesn't perform.

But yes the circumstances in which Mitchell left were shocking to say the least, there is no arguing that. It wasn't at all a dignified way for someone whose given his heart and soul to his club to be given his farwells. A premiership captain traded off for pick 88, that's really sad. Jordan Lewis was almost as shocking, not sure many people were picturing him in red and blue a couple of weeks ago.

This is massively underestimated. Richmond's record without Deledio in the last 4 years is 4-16. I can't help but think that his influence in the side in massively under-rated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell to West Coast is easily the most crazy trade I can recall. The game is only just entering a phase where player movement is more common and bizarre, but this just didn't make any sense.

In the AFL teams aren't going to give you good draft picks for older players, so trading them on is hard to justify unless you're looking to dump salary, and even still I reckon that would be really rare. Mitchell I'm pretty sure took less money halfway through this year and then he gets traded for absolutely **** all.

Mitchell has been the heart and soul of the Hawks along with Hodge, brought back them to relevance and I daresay he was continuing to have a huge influence on the club. Letting him end his career at the Hawks seemed inevitable. I can understand them getting rid of Lewis who clearly had some issues with the club at the end, but Mitchell nope.

- Mitchell/Lewis.

- Whatever Port Adelaide were smoking when they got involved with the Hanley trade.

- Ryan Griffen

- Lance Franklin, going to a top team so soon after landing Kurt Tippett.

- Fevola, whilst trying to push out Bradshaw/Rischitelli etc. to get it done

Fremantle giving up pick 2 to get Chris Bond. Gee, I can remember him at Carlton. He was a goer with spirit but not very skilled. We traded him to Tigers. He was a good clubman everywhere he went but to think someone gave up a pick 2 in draft foh him still has me scratching head.

Port Adelaide giving up pick 8, pick 43, Hamish Simpson and Roberts for Shayne Breur of Geelong

This is massively underestimated. Richmond's record without Deledio in the last 4 years is 4-16. I can't help but think that his influence in the side in massively under-rated.

Lids and Wells both crucial to their sides chances. Both pushed out the door.

Both teams would've been better off flicking their coaches than their most important players.

What happens when 2 sides finish 9th after drawing and exactly the same percentage?

Lids and Wells both crucial to their sides chances. Both pushed out the door.

Both teams would've been better off flicking their coaches than their most important players.

What happens when 2 sides finish 9th after drawing and exactly the same percentage?
Ease up. North are 28-21 without Wells in the same period. He's a good player and I'm sad to see him go but he doesn't have the same impact on North that Deledio has on Richmond...

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back