Trashed Guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

hawker11

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ve quietly trashed the guernsey over the past two years - particularly the clubs who have replaced the small sporting brand logo with a commercial sponsor e.g. Brisbane &McDonalds.

The sponsor on the left crest is getting larger and larger, edging each year to NRL prominence.

Where clubs proudly displayed their year established, is replaced with more sponsorship real estate.

We seem to look to the US for everything else but a clean kit.

At this rate, it won’t be long before footballers resemble the V8 Supercars!

Yeah compared to other sports I don't mind advertising on AFL jumpers so much and everyone needs to pay the bills somehow but it's now become too much.

Needed to be limited to a mid sized badge on the front, one large panel low on the back and a very small sports brand logo.

But have dropped the SMFC from the jumper and replaced it with a sponsor and SYDNEY on the collar…

urrkkhh…. Had not noticed that. Maybe the view was the old jumper says it all, even with corporate blurb desecrating it.

Will watch with interest the home jumper used for Rd 2. Should SMFC not feature the Club will cop significant blowback.

urrkkhh…. Had not noticed that. Maybe the view was the old jumper says it all, even with corporate blurb desecrating it.

Will watch with interest the home jumper used for Rd 2. Should SMFC not feature the Club will cop significant blowback.
Away guernsey has "SYDNEY", the home guernsey has "SMFC". "EST 1874" is inside collar for both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is opportunity to take this even fiurther with team branding:

The Ladbrokes Lions
The Sportsbet Suns
The Betr Bulldogs
The Bet365 Bombers

…and of course “The ‘there’s no cash here, no cash‘ Saints”

We’ve quietly trashed the guernsey over the past two years - particularly the clubs who have replaced the small sporting brand logo with a commercial sponsor e.g. Brisbane &McDonalds.

The sponsor on the left crest is getting larger and larger, edging each year to NRL prominence.

Where clubs proudly displayed their year established, is replaced with more sponsorship real estate.

We seem to look to the US for everything else but a clean kit.

At this rate, it won’t be long before footballers resemble the V8 Supercars!
Spot on.

I hate the fluro green NIB vomit mark on the Richmond sash. Tell me they couldn't have got the same exposure with just black lettering on the yellow sash?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trashed Guernseys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back