Fast Facts

Jumper No: 12
Height: 198 cm
Weight: 102 kg
DOB: 17 October 1987
Recruited From: Gippsland U18

Re: No. 12 Trent West

VFL - 9th June Report

Had a big job today against Minson and Skipper and can hold his head up very very high. Did really well and always gave us a contest. The future is extremely bright for this bloke. Showed some super versatility by playing down back for about 15 - 20 mins.

Re: No. 12 Trent West

West's best to come

Jason Shields

March 2nd, 2009

TRENT West learnt the hard way where his game needed to be at last season.

With Brad Ottens missing and Steven King moved on to St Kilda, West played six games as the No.2 ruckman behind Mark Blake before he was dumped from the senior team and replaced by rookie Shane Mumford.

It could have been construed as a slap in the face, a decision which demonstrated a distinct lack of faith from the coaching staff.

But West knew better.

The workload of competing against the AFL's giants on a weekly basis had quickly taken its toll on his maturing body. He needed more time.

On Saturday, the 21-year-old showed off the benefits of an extra 12 months in the gym with an impressive performance against Port Adelaide's twin towers, Brendon Lade and Dean Brogan.

West has added bulk to his 198cm frame and held his own in the ruck contests, as well as using his mobility to pick up touches around the ground.

"Looking back now, I was a little bit tired and just needed to mature a bit more," West said of his dumping last season.

"It is a physically demanding position and I suppose you get pushed around a bit, so I knew I needed to get bigger and stronger to compete with those bigger guys.

"At the time, I thought I was ready but I know that I am more ready now. Even later in the season last year, I felt more ready to go than I was in those early rounds."

Mumford has been placed back on the rookie list and West is again entrenched as the No.3 ruckman at the club behind Ottens and Blake.

"I think as a ruckman you need that game time and to put more weight on, it is a combination of both, and that takes time," he said. "Strength work is really important if you are going to compete against the big guys.

"This pre-season has probably been my best one so far, in terms of fitness and pushing myself to match it with the bigger guys. It's great working with Otto and Blakey and Harry Taylor and all pushing ourselves to get better."

Like all players on the fringe of the senior team, West knows the NAB Cup competition is the ideal chance to stake his claim for a place in Geelong's senior team this season.

"I suppose the goals are to have a good preseason, get stronger and play some good footy in the NAB Cup so you go into the season with a bit of confidence and show that you are ready to go," he said. "You want to make that impact and see what happens from there.

"The feeling around the club is pretty good. It is all about 2009 and where we want to go as a group."

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/03/02/54481_gfc.html

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Trent West

While before this year Trent West (24 next month pick 31 2005 national draft) had little experience at AFL level he amassed a large apprentice at VFL level playing almost a 100 games in a variety of positions including key forward and back in addition to his natural rucking duties. He showed this versatility in his nine matches at AFL level.

In the round twenty match against the gold coast he took up a position in our defensive fifty when Scarlett was subbed off at half time. His highlights up forward this year include his second half pack mark in the qualifying final against Hawthorn in which he beat Pods to the ball and his first half running chest mark in the Preliminary Final against West Coast. Both of which he converted. His total tally this year was 7 goal 2 behinds making him one of Geelong’s more reliable tall forwards in front of goal.

Late in the season Trent proved himself as the most reliable second ruck option averaging 20 hitouts a match. He excelled once the ball hit the deck often doing uncalculated 1%ers like knocking the ball to the advantage of our midfielders Shepherding in addition he averaged 4 tackles a match.

He wasn’t a big winner of the ball averaging 5.7 kicks a match and 3.6 handballs a match but a large portions of his disposals were contested with an average of 5.2 contested disposals a match. Trent has a large field kick which he used to good effect averaging 3.1 inside fifties a match.

Hopeful Trent can use his good form this year that culminated in him becoming a premiership player in just his 20th match as a springboard for a settled spot in the best 22 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back