Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

kBuck

All Australian
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Panthers
I’m going to preface this thread by saying that those of you who don’t like triple j should close this thread now.

OFFICIAL HOTTEST 100 IN BOLD!!!

NOW INCLUDES MY LIST IN BLACK, THEWITNESS IN RED AND DRUMMOSOLO IN BLUE!!

Voting for the triple j hottest 100 of 2012 opened today. Over about the past 8 months I’ve been noting down songs that receive a lot of play on triple j with the aim of trying to predict the 2012 hottest 100 list. I did this for both fun and to bet on the hottest 100.

I’d love some feedback on how you think my list looks. Are there any glaring omissions or ridiculous inclusions? I’ve tried to be as impartial as I possibly can when compiling this list.

1 Gotye - somebody that I use to know
2 Black keys - lonley boys
3 Matt Corby brother
4 Boy and Bear - feeding line
5 M83 - Midnight city
6 Lana del ray - video games
7 San Cisco - Awkward
8 360 - boys like you
9 The jezabels - endless summer
10 Hilltop hoods - I love it
11 Calvin haris - feel so close
12 Architecture in helsinki - contact high
13 Florence and the machine - shake it out
14 Foster the people - call it what you want
15 Foster the people - helena beat
16 Grouplove - tongue tied
17 Seeker lover keeper - even though I'm woman
18 The wombats - jump into the fog
19 Nero - promises
20 Bluejuice - act yr age
21 Skrill - scary monsters and nice sprites
22 Snakadaktal - air
23 Emma Louise - Jungle
24 The wombats - 1996
25 Kimbra - Cameo lover
26 The wombats - techno fan
27 Example - changed the way you kissed me
28 Owl eyes - pumped up kicks (cover)
29 Drapht - sing it
30 Calvin haris - bounce
31 Ball park music - nice to be alive
32 Noah and the whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
33 Kanye west and Jay Z - otis
34 Gotye - I feel better
35 Illy - cigarettes
36 Florence and the machine - No light no light
37 360 - killer
38 Ball park music - all I want is you
39 Benny benassi - cinema
40 Foster the people - houdini
41 The s trokes - under the cover of darkness
42 Florence and the machine - what the water gave me
43 Grouplove - itchin on a photograph
44 Hermitude - speak of the devil
45 The kooks - junk of the heart
46 Active child - hanging on
47 Sparkadia - mary
48 Art vs Science AIM fire
49 Boy and bear - milk and stick
50 Boy and bear - part time believer
51 The drums - money
52 Kimbra - good intent
53 Bon iver - holecence
54 The grates - turn me on
55 Architecture in helsinki - Escapee
56 Sparkadia - china
57 The reubens -
58 Lykke li - I follow rivers
59 Washington holy mosers
60 Joe Goddard - Gabriel
61 Radiohead - Lotus flower
62 Stonefield - blackwaterrising
63 Foo Fighters - rope
64 Owl eyes - raiders
65 Kasabian - rewired
66 Bon Iver - perth
67 New navy - Zimbabwe
68 arctic monkeys - don’t sit down cause I moved your chair
69 Bon Iver - calgary
70 Jebediah - shes like a comet
71 Luke millions - arnold
72 Flight facilities - forgein language
73 Skrillex - first of the year
74 Drapht - bali party
75 Example - shot yourself in the foot again
76 Red coats - dream shaker
77 Metronomy - the look
78 Husky - historys door
79 Subtract - wildfire
80 Pnau - the truth
81 Busby maru - biding my time
82 Little dragon - ritual union
83 the kills - future starts slow
84 360 - throw it away
85 Cosmo jarvis - gay pirate
86 Seeker lover keeper - light all my lights
87 Gotye - in your lights
88 Bombay bicycle club -
89 Beirut - santa fey
90 Beastie boys - make some noise
91 City and colour - fragile birds
93 Kimbra - two way street
94 The wombats - perfect disease'
95 Grouplove - naked kids
96 The strokes - machu pichu
97 Foo fighters - alandria
98 Kanye west and jay z - fellows in paris
99 The beards - consider having sex with a bearded man
100 Mr little jeans - the suburbs (cover)

Songs were selected and positioned based on the following (in this order): 1. How often they were being played. 2. How often they were requested. 3. Youtube views. 4. The bands past success in the hottest 100. 5. My opinion.

I’ll begin by posting the 10 songs I voted for with their position on my list in brackets, followed by the list of 100.

TLDR: I’ve tried to guess the triple j hottest 100.

Gotye – Somebody that I use to know (feat. Kimbra) (1)
Boy and Bear – Feeding line (2)
Sparkadia – Mary (4)
Drapht – Bali party (13)
Lana del Ray – Video games (16)
City and Colour – Natural disaster (18)
360 – Throw it away (feat. Josh Pyke) (20)
Emma Louise – Jungle (23)
Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus (48)
[FONT=&quot]My Morning Jacket – Holding onto black metal (56)[/FONT]

1 Gotye – Somebody that I use to know (feat. Kimbra) Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know {Ft. Kimbra} Gotye – Somebody That I Used To Know (feat. Kimbra)
2 Boy and Bear – Feeding line Black Keys, The - Lonely Boy Boy And Bear – Feeding Line
3 M83 – Midnight city M83 - Midnight City Hilltop Hoods – I Love It
4 Skrillex – First of the year (Equinox) Lana Del Rey - Video Games Calvin Harris – Feel So Close
5 Sparkadia – Mary Matt Corby - Brother Example – Changed The Way You Kiss Me
6 Example – Changed the way you kiss me Calvin Harris - Feel So Close Florence and the Machine – Shake It Out
7 The Wombats – Jump into the fog Boy & Bear - Feeding Line The Black Keys – Lonely Boy
8 Florence and The Machine – What the water gave me Foster The People - Call It What You Want The Jezabels – Endless Summer
9 Art vs Science – A.I.M fire (swap with midnight city) San Cisco - Awkward M83 – Midnight City
10 Matt Corby – Brother Grouplove - Tongue Tied Nero - Promises
11 Bon Iver – Calgary Architecture In Helsinki - Contact High Foster the People – Helena Beat
12 360 – Boys like you (feat. Gossling) Hilltop Hoods - I Love It {Ft. Sia} Bluejuice – Act Your Age
13 Calvin Harris – Bounce (feat. Kalis) Example - Changed The Way You Kiss Me Florence and the Machine – What the Water Gave Me
14 Drapht – Bali party 360 - Boys Like You {Ft. Gossling} Architecture in Helsinki – Contact High
15 San Cisco – Awkward Foster The People - Helena Beat Calvin Harris - Bounce
16 Skream and Example – Shot yourself in the foot again Nero - Promises Lana Del Rey – Video Games
17 Lana del Ray – Video games Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis {Ft. Otis Redding} Jay-Z & Kanye West - Otis
18 Kayne West and Jay z – Otis Wombats, The - Jump Into The Fog Skrillex – Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
19 Hilltop hoods – I love it (feat. Sia) Jezabels, The - Endless Summer Jebediah – She’s Like A Comet
20 City and Colour – Natural disaster Wombats, The - Techno Fan The Wombats – Jump Into The Fog
21 Kimbra – Cameo lover Radiohead - Lotus Flower Kimbra – Cameo Lover
22 Flight Facilities – Foreign language (feat. Jess) Strokes, The - Under Cover Of Darkness 360 – Boys Like You (feat. Gossling)
23 360 – Throw it away (feat. Josh Pyke) Florence & The Machine - Shake It Out Matt Corby – Brother
24 Calvin Harris – Feel so close Benny Benassi - Cinema {Skrillex Remix} Foster the People – Call It What You Want
25 The Black Keys - Lonley boy Gotye - I Feel Better Emma Louise - Jungle
26 Architecture in Helsinki – Contact high Kimbra - Good Intent San Cisco - Awkward
27 The Wombats – Techno fan Kimbra - Cameo Lover Grouplove – Tongue Tied
28 Emma Louise – Jungle Jebediah - She's Like A Comet Cut Copy – Need You Now
29 Grouplove – Tongue tied Skrillex - Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites Sparkadia – Mary
30 The Grates – Turn me on Active Child - Hanging On Arctic Monkeys - Don’t Sit Down ‘Cause I’ve Moved Your Chair
31 Boy and Bear – Milk and sticks Bluejuice - Act Yr Age 360 – Killer
32 Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go – Cinema (Skrillex Remix) Seeker Lover Keeper - Even Though I'm A Woman The Wombats – Techno Fan
33 360 – Killer Ball Park Music - All I Want Is You The Grates – Turn Me On
34 Foster The People – Call it what you want Calvin Harris - Bounce The Strokes – Under Cover of Darkness
35 Gotye – I feel better Grouplove - Itchin' On A Photograph Drapht – Sing It (The Life Of Riley)
36 Boy and Bear – Part time believer Drapht - Sing It (The Life Of Riley) Art vs Science – A.I.M Fire!
37 Seeker Lover Keeper – Even though I’m a woman Florence & The Machine - What The Water Gave Me Ball Park Music – It’s Nice To Be Alive
38 Sparkadia – China Bon Iver - Perth Grouplove – Itchin’ On A Photograph
39 Austra – Lose it Drums, The - Money Bon Iver - Calgary
40 Luke Million – Arnold Emma Louise - Jungle Benny Benassi – Cinema (Skrillex Remix)
41 Skrillex – Scary monsters and nice sprites Hermitude - Speak Of The Devil Sparkadia - China
42 Owl Eyes – Raiders Example - Stay Awake Seeker Lover Keeper – Even Though I’m A Woman
43 James Blake – Limit to your love Ball Park Music - It's Nice To Be Alive Pnau – The Truth
44 Josh Pyke – The world is a picture 360 - Killer Drapht – Bali Party
45 Grouplove – Itchin on a photograph Grates, The - Turn Me On Flight Facilities – Foreign Language
46 City and Colour – Fragile bird Art Vs Science - A.I.M. Fire! Kimbra – Good Intent
47 Ball Park Music – All I want is you Boy & Bear - Part Time Believer The Living End – The Ending is Just the Beginning Repeating
48 Ellesquire – On the prowl Foo Fighters - Rope Foo Fighters - Rope
49 Ball Park Music – It’s nice to be alive Sparkadia - Mary James Blake – Limit To Your Love
50 Nero – Me and you Foster The People - Houdini Josh Pyke – No One Wants A Lover
51 Art vs Science – Higher Architecture In Helsinki - Escapee Example – Stay Awake
52 Foster The People - Helena Beat Noah And The Whale - L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N Washington – Holy Moses
53 Cosmo Jarvis – Gay pirate Snakadaktal - Air 360 – Throw It Away (feat. Josh Pyke)
54 Bluejuice – Act yr age Bon Iver - Holocene The Wombats - 1996
55 Big Scary – Gladiator Boy & Bear - Milk & Sticks Cosmo Jarvis – Gay Pirates
56 Drapht – Sing it James Blake - The Wilhelm Scream Skrillex – Equinox (First of the Year)
57 Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus Skrillex - First Of The Year (Equinox) Chiddy Bang – Ray Charles
58 Joe Goddard – Gabriel (feat. Valentina) Arctic Monkeys - Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair Art vs. Science – With Thoughts
59 Example – Stay awake Kasabian - Re-Wired Luke Arnold - Million
60 Kimbra – Good intent Washington - Holy Moses Joe Goddard - Gabriel
61 Alex Metric – End of the world (feat. Charli XCX) Sparkadia - China Architecture In Helsinki - Escapee
62 Florence and The Machine – Shake it out Chiddy Bang - Ray Charles Gotye – I Feel Better
63 Active Child - Hanging on Drapht - Bali Party {Ft. Nfa} Ball Park Music - All I Want Is You
64 Jebediah – She’s like a comet Flight Facilities - Foreign Language Friendly Fires – Hawaiian Air
65 Nero – Promises Cut Copy - Need You Now The Aston Shuffle – Start Again
66 My Morning Jacket – Holding onto black metal Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers Boy & Bear – Milk & Sticks
67 Lykke Li – Rich kid blues PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder Snakadaktal - Air
68 The Jezabels – Endless Summer Wombats, The - 1996 Boy and Bear – Part Time Believer
69 New Navy – Zimbabwe Aston Shuffle, The - Start Again Lykke Li – I Follow Rivers
70 The Wombats – 1996 Martin Solveig - Ready 2 Go {Ft. Kele} Owl Eyes - Raiders
71 Seeker Lover Keeper – Light all my lights Luke Million - Arnold The Jezabels - Trycolour
72 Art vs Science – With thoughts 360 - Throw It Away {Ft. Josh Pyke} Beastie Boys – Make Some Noise
73 Little Dragon – Ritual union City And Colour - Fragile Bird City and Colour – Fragile Bird
74 Friendly Fires – Hawaiian air Bon Iver - Calgary Owl Eyes – Pumped Up Kicks (Like A Version)
75 Mantra – Got me wrong (feat. Parvyn Kaur Singh) Busby Marou - Biding My Time Hermitude – Speak of the Devil
76 Joelistsics – Glorious feeling TV On The Radio - Will Do Pnau – Solid Ground
77 The Drums – Money James Blake - Limit To Your Love Eskimo Joe – Love is A Drug
78 Yuksek – Always on the run Beastie Boys - Make Some Noise Foster the People - Houdini
79 Foo Fighters - Rope Josh Pyke - No One Wants A Lover Cage the Elephant – Shake Me Down
80 The Panics – Endless road Florence & The Machine - No Light, No Light Bon Iver - Holocene
81 Owl Eyes – Pumped up kicks Owl Eyes - Pumped Up Kicks {Like A Version} Kasabian – Days Are Forgotten
82 Justice – Audio, video, disco Pnau - The Truth Noah and the Whale – L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N
83 Friendly Fires – Live those days tonight Joe Goddard - Gabriel Nero – Me & You
84 The Strokes – Under the cover of darkness Kasabian - Days Are Forgotten Loon Lake – Bad To Me
85 The Rapture – How deep is your love SBTRKT - Wildfire {Ft. Little Dragon} Illy - Cigarettes
86 The Living End – The ending is just the beginning repeating Radiohead - Codex Justice – Audio, Video, Disco
87 Oh Mercy – Stay please stay Kooks, The - Junk Of The Heart (Happy) Active Child – Hanging On
88 Aston Shuffle – Start again Owl Eyes - Raiders Strange Talk – Eskimo Boy
89 Kasabian – Days are forgotten Kills, The - Future Starts Slow Austra – Lose It
90 Radiohead – Lotus flower Little Dragon - Ritual Union SBTRKT - Wildfire
91 Calling All Cars – Reptile Rubens, The - Lay It Down The Drums - Money
92 Hermitude – Speak of the devil Art Vs Science - With Thoughts The Panics - Majesty
93 Hunting Grounds – In colour Eskimo Joe - Love Is A Drug Tyler the Creator - Yonkers
94 Pnau – Solid ground Friendly Fires - Hawaiian Air Grouplove – Naked Kids
95 Husky – History’s door Illy - Cigarettes Foo Fighters - Arlandria
96 Loon Lake – Bad to me Big Scary - Gladiator Florence and the Machine – No Light, No Light
97 Snakadaktal – Air Cosmo Jarvis - Gay Pirates The Getaway Plan – The Reckoning
98 Papa vs Pretty – Darkest way New Navy - Zimbabwe Radiohead – Lotus Flower
99 Eskimo Joe – Love is a drug Tim & Jean - I Can Show You TV On the Radio – Will Do
100 Illy – Cigarettes Ellesquire - On The Prowl Big Scary - Gladiator
101 Arctic Monkeys – Suck it and see

Gotye – Somebody that I use to know (feat. Kimbra) (1) Gotye – Somebody that I use to know (feat. Kimbra) (1)
Boy and Bear – Feeding line (2)Boy and Bear – Feeding line (2)
Skrillex – First of the year (Equinox) (3) Skrillex – First of the year (Equinox) (3)
Sparkadia – Mary (4) Sparkadia – Mary (4)
Art vs Science – With thoughts (5) Art vs Science – A.I.M fire (5)
Example – Changed the way you kiss me (6) Example – Changed the way you kiss me (6)
Florence and The Machine – What the water gave me (7) M83 – Midnight city (7)
Skrillex – Scary monsters and nice sprites (8) Florence and The Machine – What the water gave me (8)
Kimbra – Cameo lover (9) The Wombats – Jump into the fog (9)
Bon Iver – Calgary (10) Skrillex – Scary monsters and nice sprites (10)
360 – Killer (11) Bon Iver – Calgary (11)
Calvin Harris – Feel so close (12) 360 – Boys like you (feat. Gossling) (12)
Drapht – Bali party (13) Calvin Harris – Feel so close (13)
Calvin Harris – Bounce (feat. Kalis) (14) Drapht – Bali party (14)
Skream and Example – Shot yourself in the foot again (15) Calvin Harris – Bounce (feat. Kalis) (15)
Lana del Ray – Video games (16) Skream and Example – Shot yourself in the foot again (16)
Kayne West and Jay z – Otis (17) Lana del Ray – Video games (17)
City and Colour – Natural disaster (top 10) (18) Kayne West and Jay z – Otis (18)
Flight Facilities – Foreign language (feat. Jess) (19) Hilltop hoods – I love it (feat. Sia) (19)
360 – Throw it away (feat. Josh Pyke) (20) City and Colour – Natural disaster (20)
Architecture in Helsinki – Contact high (21) Kimbra – Cameo lover (21)
The Wombats – Techno fan (22) Flight Facilities – Foreign language (feat. Jess) (22)
Emma Louise – Jungle (23) 360 – Throw it away (feat. Josh Pyke) (23)
Grouplove – Tongue tied (24) Architecture in Helsinki – Contact high (24)
[FONT=&quot]The Grates – Turn me on (25)[/FONT] The Wombats – Techno fan (25)

Boy and Bear – Milk and sticks (26)Emma Louise – Jungle (26)
Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go – Cinema (Skrillex Remix) (27) Grouplove – Tongue tied (27)
360 – Boys like you (feat. Gossling) (28) The Grates – Turn me on (28)
Gotye – I feel better (29) Boy and Bear – Milk and sticks (29)
Ball Park Music – All I want is you (30) Benny Benassi ft. Gary Go – Cinema (Skrillex Remix) (30)
Boy and Bear – Part time believer (31) 360 – Killer (31)
Seeker Lover Keeper – Even though I’m a woman (32) Gotye – I feel better (32)
Austra – Lose it (33) Ball Park Music – All I want is you (33)
Luke Million – Arnold (34) Boy and Bear – Part time believer (34)
The Wombats – 1996 (35) Seeker Lover Keeper – Even though I’m a woman (35)
Owl Eyes – Raiders (36) Sparkadia – China (36)
James Blake – Limit to your love (37)Austra – Lose it (37)
Grouplove – Itchin on a photograph (38) Luke Million – Arnold (38)
City and Colour – Fragile bird (39) Matt Corby – Brother (39)
Ellesquire – On the prowl (40) Owl Eyes – Raiders (40)
Ball Park Music – It’s nice to be alive (41) James Blake – Limit to your love (41)
Nero – Me and you (42) Josh Pyke – The world is a picture (42)
Art vs Science – A.I.M fire (43) Grouplove – Itchin on a photograph (43)
Cosmo Jarvis – Gay pirate (44) City and Colour – Fragile bird (44)
Bluejuice – Act yr age (45) San Cisco – Awkward (45)
Big Scary – Gladiator (46) Ellesquire – On the prowl (46)
Drapht – Sing it (47) Ball Park Music – It’s nice to be alive (47)
Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus (48) Nero – Me and you (48)
Joe Goddard – Gabriel (feat. Valentina) (49) Art vs Science – Higher (49)
[FONT=&quot]Example – Stay awake (50)[/FONT] Foster The People – Call it what you want (50)

Kimbra – Good intent (51) Cosmo Jarvis – Gay pirate (51)
Alex Metric – End of the world (feat. Charli XCX) (52) Bluejuice – Act yr age (52)
Florence and The Machine – Shake it out (53) Big Scary – Gladiator (53)
Foster The People – Call it what you want (54) Drapht – Sing it (54)
Nero – Promises (55) Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus (55)
My Morning Jacket – Holding onto black metal (56) Joe Goddard – Gabriel (feat. Valentina) (56)
Lykke Li – Rich kid blues (57) Example – Stay awake (57)
The Jezabels – Trycolour (58) Kimbra – Good intent (58)
New Navy – Zimbabwe (59) Alex Metric – End of the world (feat. Charli XCX) (59)
Seeker Lover Keeper – Light all my lights (60) Florence and The Machine – Shake it out (60)
Art vs Science – Higher (61) Seeker Lover Keeper – Rely on me (61)
Little Dragon – Ritual union (62) Jebediah – She’s like a comet (62)
Friendly Fires – Hawaiian air (63) Nero – Promises (63)
Aston Shuffle – Start again (64) My Morning Jacket – Holding onto black metal (64)
Mantra – Got me wrong (feat. Parvyn Kaur Singh) (65) Lykke Li – Rich kid blues (65)
Joelistsics – Glorious feeling (66) The Jezabels – Trycolour (66)
The Drums – Money (67) New Navy – Zimbabwe (67)
The Jezabels – Rosebud (68) The Wombats – 1996 (68)
M83 – Midnight city (69) Seeker Lover Keeper – Light all my lights (69)
The Panics – Endless road (70) Art vs Science – With thoughts (70)
Illy – Cigarettes (71) Little Dragon – Ritual union (71)
Justice – Audio, video, disco (72) Friendly Fires – Hawaiian air (72)
Friendly Fires – Live those days tonight (73) Aston Shuffle – Start again (73)
The Rapture – How deep is your love (74) Mantra – Got me wrong (feat. Parvyn Kaur Singh) (74)
[FONT=&quot]The Living End – The ending is just the beginning repeating (75)[/FONT] Joelistsics – Glorious feeling (75)

Kele – What did I do (feat. Lucy Taylor) (76) The Drums – Money (76)
Oh Mercy – Stay please stay (77) Yuksek – Always on the run (77)
Kasabian – Days are forgotten (78) The Jezabels – Endless Summer (78)
Calling All Cars – Reptile (79) The Panics – Endless road (79)
Hunting Grounds – In colour (80) Illy – Cigarettes (80)
The Strokes – Under the cover of darkness (81) Justice – Audio, video, disco (81)
Hermitude – Speak of the devil (82) Friendly Fires – Live those days tonight (82)
Kimbra – Two way street (83) The Strokes – Under the cover of darkness (83)
Mr. Little Jeans – The suburbs (84) The Rapture – How deep is your love (84)
Husky – History’s door (85) The Living End – The ending is just the beginning repeating (85)
Loon Lake – Bad to me (86) Oh Mercy – Stay please stay (86)
Seeker Lover Keeper – Rely on me (87) Arctic Monkeys – Suck it and see (87)
Katalyst – The clapping song (Feat. Coin Locker Kid) (88) Kasabian – Days are forgotten (88)
Radiohead – Lotus flower (89) Owl Eyes – Pumped up kicks (89)
Eskimo Joe – Love is a drug (90) Calling All Cars – Reptile (90)
Matt Corby – Brother (91) Hermitude – Speak of the devil (91)
Pnau – Solid ground (92) Hunting Grounds – In colour (92)
SBTRK – Wildfire (93) Pnau – Solid ground (93)
Papa vs Pretty – Darkest way (94) Husky – History’s door (94)
Yuksek – Always on the run (95) Loon Lake – Bad to me (95)
Vents – History of the world (96) Katalyst – The clapping song (Feat. Coin Locker Kid) (96)
The Aston Shuffle – Won’t get lost (97) Radiohead – Lotus flower (97)
Noah and The Whale – L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. (98) Eskimo Joe – Love is a drug (98)
Snakadaktal – Chimera (99) Snakadaktal – Air (99)
[FONT=&quot]San Cisco – Awkward (100)[/FONT] Papa vs Pretty – Darkest way (100)

I think 360 - Boys Like You, will definitely be top 5 and might even challenge Gotye for #1 his army are voting like crazy atm and they got him over the line for Channel [V] music artist of the year.

Yeah. I fear that 360 might be a victim of having to many good songs. 360 has three or four really good songs but none are a stand out. I think this is going to cause his votes to be evenly spread out over his songs.

On the other hand Gotye has some really good songs and one clear stand out. Consequently, the standout will get the majority of the votes from people voting for Gotye.

I think Skrillex may challenge Gotye for number #1.

A pretty goddamn good effort for doing it the day the list comes up. A few opinions.

- Midnight City is capable of pushing top 20.
- San Cisco - Awkward will place much higher than 100.
- Skrillex won't push Gotye. Will be lucky to push top 10. Every year a dance song threatens, and every year tend to level out at the 15ish mark.
- Washington - Holy Moses will get a run, Wombats - Jump Into The Fog will get a run and possibly be the best charter from them, Sparkadia - China, Cut Copy - Need You Now/Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution, Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers, Justice - Civilisation, Grouplove - Naked Kids, Bon Iver - Holocene, Pnau - The Truth, Snakadaktal - Air, Foo Fighters, Beastie Boys, Josh Pyke and the BIG BIG two you're missing - Hilltop Hoods - I Love It and Jebediah - She's Like A Comet.
- I've got more opinions, but finding all those songs was tiring! Will add more/suggest shuffling in future replies! :cool:

Also, purely of interest - do you have stats for plays and requests? Or are you doing it off memory?

I'll start with this cause its easiest to answer :D.

Sadly I don't have any stats for plays and request. I'll give you an insight into how the process went. I listen to triple j alot. On average about six hours a day. Every time I would notice a song getting a lot of plays I would make a mental note. I would then wait a week and if it was still getting smashed I would physically add it to list (word doc). If a song was the "most requested" at the end of each week it was automatically qualified for the list. Songs with multiple nightly "most requests" were also added. I'm kicking myself now for not recording how many times the songs were most requested :mad:

The 100 songs were finalised about four days ago. I've been chopping and changing the positions since then. I waited until today to post my list because I wanted to make sure all the songs I had chosen were eligible and could be voted for. This was wise as four were ineligible! (Don't get me started on how BS it is that Skrillex - Scary monsters and nice sprites is eligible but Grouplove - colours isn't!)

Incredible efforts. I'm assuming you use jplay as well? If not, would be a very handy tool for your efforts.

Did you do this right from the beginning of the year? I've noticed most of the songs I suggested you add came in the Jan-March block, and could represent gaps in data!

EDIT - Read the description. Man, how shitty would you be to use this for betting, only for Gotye to completely steamroll any value in the market?

Text wall I choose you! Text wall attack! (oh and on the betting the multis will be where its at, havn't looked into the betting that much yet tho seeing as the official voting only opened today)

M83 – Midnight City.

I partially agree. Maybe the 30’s but not as high as the 20s. The reason why it’s so high up is because on my original list I had written (tentative) next to it but I can’t remember why. So I was reluctant to place it lower on the list.

San Cisco – Awkward.

I would say in the last two months that it has received a very reasonable amount of play time. It has also been more requested on several nights. Don’t be put off by the fact that it’s from an Unearthed banned. San Cisco are also pretty popular in W.A.

Skrillex

At the moment I would consider Skrillex in a class of his own when it comes to that dance/dubstep (or whatever it’s called) music. His song First of the year (Equinox) was massively requested on the super request program at the start of the year. Gotye may have had the most consecutive most requests but I wouldn’t be surprised if First of the year had the most cumulatively. One negative is that given the style of the music it doesn’t get much play on the radio. However, I think of all the songs on my list First of the year and Scary monsters and nice sprites have the most youtube views, around 25 and 45 million respectively. Scary monsters likely to only have more due to it being released about 6 or 7 months before First of the year.

Washington – Holy Moses.

Completely disagree. I’m a big Washington fan, I even voted for Sunday best in last years count. However, Holy moses is nowhere near the caliber of the stuff she released on her album last year. Didn’t really get played a whole lot and was barely sited on super request. Although I could be wrong and everyone downloaded it and loves it.

Wombats – Jump into the fog.

Awesome song. From an awesome album. However, I didn’t want to have three songs from The Wombats in the list. This was for a similar reason as to my above post about 360 and having to many good songs with the votes resultantly being spread out. I see it highly unlikely that all three songs would be able to poll really well. The reasons why I picked Techno fan and 1996 are as follows. Techno fan and Jump into the fog were both extremely popular, however Techno fan seemed to be played more. Jump into the fog is better than 1996, however, 1996 has been smashed on triple j recently and would be more freshly in peoples minds than Jump into the fog.

Sparkadia – China.

Wasn’t played much. Wasn’t requested much and also wasn’t sighted on the “hit list”. I think anyone voting for Sparkadia will be voting for Mary and not a different song.

Cut Copy - Need You Now/Blink And You'll Miss a Revolution.

Didn’t have these on my original list of highly played songs. However, really popular band that has done well in past hottest 100 counts. I was struggling to be able to find a song to remove from my list to get one of these on. Suggestions?

Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers.

Wasn’t on my highly played list. Also not a fan and not many of these “soft” songs seem to do very well.

Justice – Civilisation.

Justice are unlikely to get two songs in the count in my opinion. Audio, video, disco was on the list of highly played songs and Civilisation wasn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grouplove - Naked Kids.

Initially already had three Grouplove songs on my list (Colours, Tongue tied, Itchin’ on a photograph). Don’t think Grouplove would have three songs in the count unless its those three I mentioned. When I discovered that colours wasn’t eligible (unsure why this is seeing as EP was launched 2011), instead of putting in another Grouplove song I replaced it with Kasabian – days are forgotten because I was trying to find a spot for it.

Bon Iver – Holocene.

Open to persuasion on this one. Was considered. However, I deemed it very similar to Calgary which is why I didn’t include it. Those Bon Iver fans sure do love him tho and consequently, could be an option.

Pnau - The Truth.

Pnau normally show up in the count. Though I think there is only room for one song this year and I deemed Solid ground to be the best option.

Snakadaktal – Air.

I prefer Air. However, Chimera was definitely requested a lot more on super request. It also has about 30 k more views on youtube which is a considerable gap for an unearthed band, especially unearthedhigh. Don’t think its really relevant to look at how last years unearthed high winner went in the count because Stonefields song wasn’t really a hit but just a really good song.

Foo Fighters.

Be lucky if I could remember hearing any songs from the Foos new album this year on triple j apart from just prior to the Dave Grohl interview.

Beastie Boys.

Not looking to offend anyone here but mostly bogan fans unlikely to vote. Have done well in past counts with some really catchy songs but I can’t see any of those on this latest album. I could be way wrong here though.

Josh Pyke.

Nothing really stood out for mine this year.

Jebediah - She's Like A Comet.

Released very early in the year. Before I even started compiling my list. So nothing to really go on in terms of times played and requested which makes it difficult to place. Very “popy” as well. Hipsters will not like! Undecided on it.

Hilltop Hoods - I Love It.

[FONT=&quot]Yes. There always has to be one curve ball. Much consideration went into this one. If it was released even a month earlier it would have be a certain lock. However, due to its very late release in the year I’m not sure how many people it will have reached. It’s getting played a bit and was getting some requests. I’m a giant Hilltop hoods fan so it was really difficult to look at this song objectively and account for the late release date. I’m thinking I might have to squeeze it in.[/FONT]

If you can find multi betting on the Hottest 100, you're my new god. Top 5's only went up last year in the last few days where they based it on the market with no value left!

One other thing to note - I've found that this year isn't a particularly strong crop, allowing some songs to creep up higher than they would other years.

Midnight City comes with a lot of hype. It's been flogged on the J's (jplay keep a top 20 per week and its been there a LOT), it's not going to have to worry about other singles off the album, and it just took out Best Track of the Year on Pitchfork.

I agree with you on San Cisco - I reckon they'll chart WELL above 100, sorry. 60s-70s.

Skrillex could be anything. But I'm maintaining that top 10 is out of reach - people who like dubstep tend to be a RABID vocal majority. The style has been around all year too, and the backlash is beginning. I don't know, it's a very unknown area, but as a comparision point - you couldn't go to a club last year without having Barbra Streisand flashed in your face, and that couldn't hit Top 10.

Holy Moses will garner enough fans to place in the 100 somewhere.

Jump Into The Fog was the second single and will make it. All three will. 1996 probably the lowest - how often does the fourth single of an album chart well?

I reckon China's going to fall outside of your "hit-list" because of how early in the year it came - if you started in April, you've missed its main run - from January (SERIOUSLY early) to about March. It'll get enough to make the 100.

I'll discuss removable songs a bit later, but Need You Now will ABSOLUTELY make the 100 and Blink will be borderline.

Lykke Li - Borderline, but I think it's the biggest song off the album. Another Jan-March hit. Got covered on Glee, so will get some votes off the casual crowd.

Justice - Jan-March again. Borderline.

Grouplove - Not sure here - popular band, LOTS of singles to pick from. I think all four can make it, but another borderline call.

Bon Iver - Another borderline one, which I'd be tempted to sneak in due to the Grammy nomination and placing second on the Pitchfork list.

Pnau - Another Jan-March borderline call :p

Snakadaktal - Air will beat Chymera. Less views, but up for 3 less months too, had more hype.

Foo Fighters - Rope got flogged in the Feb-April period. It's in. Walk would have, well, walked in too if it were on the list.

Beastie Boys - Big hyped return, big name band, 30 minute promo video with a bunch of Hollywood stars, weak year. Make Some Noise. In.

Josh Pyke - Pretty sure you'll find the jplayers have the World Is A Picture just outside the top 10 most played on the JJJ this year. No One Wants A Lover also a shot.

Jebediah - Unavoidable for the first six months of the year, on commercial radio too. At WORST, it'll do a Gyroscope/Eskimo Joe from the past two years respectively and fall to 40-60.

Hilltop Hoods - Look at Rapunzel from last year - made it into the count by two/three weeks, came 12th. Hilltop Hoods will go Top 5, possibly as far as 2. Mark it.

Next post - what I'd remove :p

By the way, good to find another Hottest 100 uber geek :D

Up for Removal

Art vs Science – With thoughts (5) - maybe not FULL removal, but A.I.M Fire will be the high charter one. This'll be borderline.
Skream and Example – Shot yourself in the foot again (15) - Flash in the pan, Example fans will gravitate to his solo work, dubstep fans to Skrillex and Nero. Pass.
City and Colour – Natural disaster (top 10) (18) - Tipping Fragile Bird and Fragile Bird only. A little niche to make it this high.
Ellesquire – On the prowl (40) - Never heard until YouTube. Usually the lesser known Aussie HipHop acts go 70 or lower to begin (the Illys, Hilltops, Draphts, Herds, and 360s being examples of larger acts).
Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus (48) - Almost every Cosmo voter (and I say almost because of your votes) will be on Gay Pirates.

That's just the top 50. 51-100 will take a lot more work, it would probably be easier to list the songs I think ARE locks to make the 100/should place higher, and assume the rest as borderline/interchangable!

M83 will definitely be Top 15. One of those songs that wont be in many people's top 5 but will make it into a lot of top 10s.

I have to head into uni for a lot of today but before I do I’ll leave you with some things to things to think about. Will respond in more detail later.

Looks like midnight city will be moving up.

Misunderstood your point on San Cisco before :D will revise their positioning now.

Although super popular in past counts its taken a really good song such as Nosebleed section for the Hilltop hoods to poll that high. I would consider around the 20-30 mark given your comment on rapunzel.

All three of the Art vs science songs will make the list. This I’m positive of. Australia seems to be infatuated with these guys. Always do really well in the count even with what I consider very average songs.

Ellesquire – On the prowl. Lock for sure. This song had a cult following when it came out. Was about a 3 week period where it was requested every night on super request.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Foster the People.

Will listen more closely to some of the songs you suggested from earlier in the year when I get home.

Brb. Voting for Gotye 900 times :heart:

kBuck" said:
I’d love some feedback on how you think my list looks.

Pretty boring tbh.

Mine is

Antlers, The - I Dont Want Love
Battles - Ice Cream {Ft. Matias Aguayo}
Bon Iver - Minnesota, Wi
Field, The - Looping State Of Mind
Givers - Up Up Up
Thrice - Yellow Belly
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
TV On The Radio - Second Song
Wilco - I Might
Youth Lagoon - Cannons

Hi

Wow, brilliant effort on the first day of voting. I usually struggle to come up with a Top 30 even by Jan 25th!

The only omissions I can see are that I think Endless Summer by the Jezabels will be in there, as well as Sing It (Life of Riley) by Drapht (played a lot at the time of release), Call it what you want by Foster the People (all in the top 50 IMO), and No light No Light by Florence and the Machine - please correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't see any of these in your list.

Not sure which FOTM song will chart highest, have a sneaking suspicion that Shake it Out might do best (it's the most 'radio-friendly') even though it's my least fave of her three singles from the new CD - I much prefer 'No Light No Light'.

Was hoping Loveless by Children Collide would be eligible but it isn't :(
Glad Pumped up Kicks isn't though.

I have to head into uni for a lot of today but before I do I’ll leave you with some things to things to think about. Will respond in more detail later.

Looks like midnight city will be moving up.

Misunderstood your point on San Cisco before :D will revise their positioning now.

Although super popular in past counts its taken a really good song such as Nosebleed section for the Hilltop hoods to poll that high. I would consider around the 20-30 mark given your comment on rapunzel.

All three of the Art vs science songs will make the list. This I’m positive of. Australia seems to be infatuated with these guys. Always do really well in the count even with what I consider very average songs.

Ellesquire – On the prowl. Lock for sure. This song had a cult following when it came out. Was about a 3 week period where it was requested every night on super request.

Would love to hear your thoughts on Foster the People.

Will listen more closely to some of the songs you suggested from earlier in the year when I get home.

Don't disagree on all Art vs Science singles making it, just mostly dispute the order. It'll be in singles format - A.I.M Fire, then Higher, then With Thoughts.

Agree to disagree on Ellesquire, but if it makes it, 80 or lower I think.

Foster the People are the Temper Trap of this year - had their big, big single on the list last year, which ruins it from doing damage this year. However, the fans will vote for the other singles, and they'll litter down the chart. Helena Beat, followed by Call It What You Want, and possibly Houdini. I'd also expect Owl Eyes covering Pumped Up Kicks to make the 100 somewhere.

Foo Fighters – Rope.

Really not sold on this one at the moment. Foo fighters have a really good history in the count but this and the other songs on the new album are nowhere near as good. However, the album did come in at 19th on this years album pole. Will have to give some more consideration.

Beastie Boys – Make some noise.

Similar to above. Not their best work. Need more than stars, a promo and hype. Was played a bit but I just can’t see people voting for it.

Josh Pyke – The world is a picture.

Can’t remember it being requested much at all. Would have the least youtube views of any songs on my list (approx 10.5k). No one wants a lover on the other hand I’m seriously considering. 50 k views and I can remember it being played a lot more than The world is a picture.

Jebediah – She’s like a comet.

[FONT=&quot]Considering this one also. However, if I do put it in, highly unlikely I will be putting it anywhere lower down the list than 80.[/FONT]

Skream and Example – Shot yourself in the foot again.

Came out before Examples solo stuff. Was the first taster from Example this year. Would have put most people onto Examples solo stuff later in the year. Was absolutely smashed on super request and the day shifts. Maybe not as high as I have it in on the list but I’m confident it will get in.

City and Colour – Natural disaster.

A little niche – exactly why I have it so high. Great song with little competition in this category of singing. Alexis on fire have a strong fan base so I can see it pulling votes from new and old fans.

Cosmo Jarvis - Sure as hell not Jesus.

[FONT=&quot]I honestly think Cosmo Jarvis fans will vote for Sure as hell not Jesus. The people voting for Gay pirates will typically not be Cosmo Jarvis fans. Admittedly I’m bias in this selection.[/FONT]

Endless Summer by the Jezabels will be in there

Already got Trycolour and Rosebud. Doubt they could get three in.

as well as Sing It (Life of Riley) by Drapht

Got it already ;) #47

Call it what you want by Foster the People

Also got this ;) #54

No light No Light by Florence and the Machine

Have Water the water gave me and Shake it out instead. Shake it out was the single and Water the water gave me came out before the single and was smashed.

Was hoping Loveless by Children Collide would be eligible but it isn't

I originally had it in the list until I found out it wasn’t eligible.

Lonely Boy by Black Keys

[FONT=&quot]Considering this! 4 million views in a month is something I can’t overlook. I initially didn’t look at it because it hasn’t been long since the album was featured. Songs normally get smashed regardless the week after being the feature album.[/FONT]

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple J hottest 100 of 2012 Prediction thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back