TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread will stay on here until tonight as it is a hot topic and then be moved to the appropriate Footy fourth estate board for further discussion.

I am really hoping the rights go to Channel 9/10 and Foxtel as these channels are really dedicated to live broadcasts which is what we all want. If 7 get them back they will need to really change things up a bit as the current broadcasts they serve up are mediocre at best.

I have a gut feeling though 7 will retain them. :(

Chism , have you been listening to the reports, 10 pulled out and Nine doesnt have the moeny. As far as foxtel it seems that there will be a subscription upgrade to go with the win

yes foxtel is restarting the fox footy channel and is going to have a subscription that is extra to see the footy games on top of their current sports package.Channel 7 has won the rights but can still onsell games to the other FTA stations if they want to. So we may still see channel 10 do some games but it is unlikely that channel 9 will get any. channel 7 will be broadcasting all the Grand Finals and Brownlow Medal Counts during the period. Friday & Sat Night games live, but day games delayed on FTA.

Not another five years of Channel 7's insipid football coverage! They better sell off two games to 9 or 10. Is it confirmed that all four games per round (FTA) will be broadcast live on FTA and not just live on Foxtel?

Chism , have you been listening to the reports, 10 pulled out and Nine doesnt have the moeny. As far as foxtel it seems that there will be a subscription upgrade to go with the win

Nah just got back from Qld holidays!!

Gee that's bad then. I guess we can only hope for a mass of live games but i was looking forward to see 9 get the rights back.:(

Lucky i have Foxtel then! :D

channel 7 will be broadcasting all the Grand Finals and Brownlow Medal Counts during the period. Friday & Sat Night games live, but day games delayed on FTA.

Thank goodness for that. Could not handle any more of Quartermain's uninspiring drivel on the biggest day of all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As bad as we all think Channel 7 are, that is one huge positive, NO MORE QUARTERBRAIN!

Quartermain is better than every channel 7 commentator. So in the grand finals we have to listen to Bruce asking his god damn questions every five seconds. "This is the grand final isn't it? We're playing footy aren't we? I'm getting paid for this aren't I?"

Quartermain is better than every channel 7 commentator. So in the grand finals we have to listen to Bruce asking his god damn questions every five seconds. "This is the grand final isn't it? We're playing footy aren't we? I'm getting paid for this aren't I?"

Bruce at least somewhat captures the moment (albeit not as well as he used to - 2000/1 etc). Quartermain OTOH, if not just meandering along sounding as if he just wants to get out of the place, just screams the players name in pivotal moments. CHAPMAN! CHAPMAN KICKED A GOAL!!

Anyway this is getting a bit off topic now.

Telstra should have had the internet rights taken from them (preferably by force); their site is one of the worst I've been on. Much too bloated with ads and about as reliable as Garuda Airlines. I gave up doing DT because I was fed up with the site. Cricinfo or any of the ESPN sites are much better.

As for 7, show the games in HD FFS. I'll bet they show the royal wedding in full crystal clear high definition...

I should have prefaced what I was saying about Quarters, by mentioning that he was a good caller back when he started with 10. 2002-2005 he did have some great calls. The "Voss from FiftyFiiiiiiiive, GOAL!" and "Leo Barry you star!" stand out as some great commentary work.

But it has been all downhill from there.

The AFL should have mandated HD broadcasts as part of the rights - at least for Friday night, Sat night and all finals.

The lack of HD football at the moment is a bad joke, and sadly looks like continuting, especially if 10 (1 HD) is no longer in the mix. TV quality is going backwards

The AFL should have mandated HD broadcasts as part of the rights - at least for Friday night, Sat night and all finals.

The lack of HD football at the moment is a bad joke, and sadly looks like continuting, especially if 10 (1 HD) is no longer in the mix. TV quality is going backwards
I suspect most games will be in HD, including all finals, but only on Foxtel. All FTA games will most likely all be SD except the grand final which will be simulcast in HD.

I should have prefaced what I was saying about Quarters, by mentioning that he was a good caller back when he started with 10. 2002-2005 he did have some great calls. The "Voss from FiftyFiiiiiiiive, GOAL!" and "Leo Barry you star!" stand out as some great commentary work.

But it has been all downhill from there.

So what you're saying is, he is very biased when all the Victorian teams he hates are at the top of the ladder but was quite neutral when teams he was indifferent about were dominating.

Remove this Banner Ad

TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back