U18 Championships Results thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
National U18 - first two games

Not sure what the go is this year around the games from a thread perspective so just thought would start this in case some people were wanting a bit of detail around the games on the weekend. I was out at BO oval on saturday (albeit I didnt watch terribly closely as was chatting with a few people during them so apols I cant be more in depth). Saw about a half or so of both games.

The kids that really impressed me were;

Ben Brown - went along expecting to see May as the dominant fwd of the two games as am a massive fan of the kid. Walked away thinking Brown was probably the best fwd I saw all day.

Green - this kid is very good. I have seen him before but he really looks like he has come on. He won a ton of the ball and he is very good inside and out. I know I love the Tassie kids and have wrapped a few like Hislop and Joseph and bit more than I should have but this kid is the real deal. Early call but somewhere in the first round possibly.

Josh Bruce played well. He is a strong contested possession winner Josh and would think he would be drafted but must admit I worry that Chaz didnt go last yr.

May - love this kid. Masssive unit and moves ok. Kicked a few goals but presented as a real target and hit the packs pretty hard. I had as a first rounder but I suspect he is 2nd round. Certainly would have him ahead of Solly from SA I think.

Meli - Tied to Essendon and was unreal. Got a lot of ball and used it very well both left and right. Again won a lot of it in close and is a bit of a livewire. Essendon have got a special one here.

Oxley - Bit unassuming but he won a fair bit of ball and took it through the corridor. Skills were good. Dont know much about him though as hadnt seen him before so if someone could shed some more light would be good.

Miles - NSW kid who I have seen a lot of and the NSW coaches just love him. Had a massive game and was probably the most dominant player I saw along with Josh Green over the course of the day.

Re: National U18 - first two games

I wasnt watching for Sam to be honest so didnt really notice. Bit over how successful Crows have been with Adelaide kids. Particularly given none of the Pies kids look like anythnig. Whats the latest on Riley's progress.......very talented player IMO.

Hawks have a couple in Langford and Stubbs who I think are pretty promising and Essendon look ok to with Webster and Qld's Meli. Webster hasnt done much but a lot to work with.

Will be there on June 6th so see them play country so will provide more detailed report on the NSW scholar kids then.

I wasnt watching for Sam to be honest so didnt really notice. Bit over how successful Crows have been with Adelaide kids. Particularly given none of the Pies kids look like anythnig. Whats the latest on Riley's progress.......very talented player IMO.

Hawks have a couple in Langford and Stubbs who I think are pretty promising and Essendon look ok to with Webster and Qld's Meli. Webster hasnt done much but a lot to work with.

Will be there on June 6th so see them play country so will provide more detailed report on the NSW scholar kids then.
Lucky indeed. Taylor Walker actually sought us out... crazy huh.

Aiden Riley has come on in leaps and bounds. Really can't believe this is the same player I watched at nationals last year.

Lost all that excess puppy fat, gotten very fit and after destroying SANFL reserves, got a call up to Sturt Seniors where he received BOG honours in game 1 and got in the best last week after shutting down the opposition best player in a tagging role while picking up mid 20 touches.

His inside work and power to clear the ball is lightyears better than last year aswell as pace being impressive.

Looks like a keeper.

Agree re Langford and Stubbs..... so far at least.

Harry Cumming - 7 disposals (4k, 3h)
Sam Martyn - 13 disposals (8k, 5h)

Ben Brown - went along expecting to see May as the dominant fwd of the two games as am a massive fan of the kid. Walked away thinking Brown was probably the best fwd I saw all day.

Does anyone know how tall he is now? He was listed as 196cm in the article below as a 16 year old. very good size for a forward. looking forward to see how he goes for the rest of the carnival.

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/.../devonport-picks-nephew-of-a-gun/1519884.aspx

Lucky indeed. Taylor Walker actually sought us out... crazy huh.

Aiden Riley has come on in leaps and bounds. Really can't believe this is the same player I watched at nationals last year.

Lost all that excess puppy fat, gotten very fit and after destroying SANFL reserves, got a call up to Sturt Seniors where he received BOG honours in game 1 and got in the best last week after shutting down the opposition best player in a tagging role while picking up mid 20 touches.

His inside work and power to clear the ball is lightyears better than last year aswell as pace being impressive.

Looks like a keeper.

Agree re Langford and Stubbs..... so far at least.

well thats just super.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well wait for all the Collingwood faithful to jump on this kid in their phantom drafts.........he could be the next Bill Morrison.

Though we have not Draft Rights on him those

Hmm. If anyone's going to watch the Vic metro/Country match can they please keep an eye out for Ryan Lester for me? He's been named at FB- a role he's never played in his life. He's more of a 3rd tall/flanker but seems to have been given this role as he's around 190cm. Will be interesting to see how he goes- if he does perform well in this role I reckon he'd be on the radar of a few clubs as it'd add an extra string to his bow.

South Australia have been talked up this year and they appear the goods. Just beat WA about 120 to 60 out at Aami stadium.

Don't have details yet, but Harley Bennell kicked 6 out of WA's 8 goals.

Mods - can we merge all the U18 results threads?

Vic M and Vic Country tomorrow

I wouldn't take to much out of this game.

Have a quick look at the Port vs Richmond game to see what sort of conditions they were playing in.

From early reports, the usuals stood out.

I wouldn't mid hearing how Harley went once the rain kicked in as well.

They mentioned on before the game on Fox that Bennell excelled once the rain came down and kicked 3 goals in the third quarter. Gold Coast bound for sure. 6 goals playing from the midfield is unreal.

Remove this Banner Ad

U18 Championships Results thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back