U18's to replace U17s & 19's?

Remove this Banner Ad

KingsCrow

Premiership Player
Nov 9, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've heard lots of talk about the SANFL scrapping the old U17's/19's concept for a pure u18s/reserves/league format. Apparently alot of pressure has been put on the SANFL by the AFL to adopt this format.

If this is so I think it is stupid. This would mean potentially 30 or so less kids going through the club. The current set up we have now works fine and its part of our history. I hope my sentiment is shared by the majority because this really pisses me off.

I've heard lots of talk about the SANFL scrapping the old U17's/19's concept for a pure u18s/reserves/league format. Apparently alot of pressure has been put on the SANFL by the AFL to adopt this format.

If this is so I think it is stupid. This would mean potentially 30 or so less kids going through the club. The current set up we have now works fine and its part of our history. I hope my sentiment is shared by the majority because this really pisses me off.

Its a hard one isn't it. Purely from an SANFL perspective it makes sense to have U17/19s. It gives more opportunity to those that probably wouldn't have it. A case could be made is that it rewards mediocrity. From a recruiting, AFL perspective it makes sense to have an U18 format. You have batch of players all in the same league all on an equal footing, nation wide

To be honest I would prefer one system Australia wide. I'm sorry but I think a U16, U18 Reserves and then League format is better. To often SA football is in the wilderness. And if it means potentially we could have more SA lads playing AFL well then I think it is time for change.

To be honest I would prefer one system Australia wide. I'm sorry but I think a U16, U18 Reserves and then League format is better. To often SA football is in the wilderness. And if it means potentially we could have more SA lads playing AFL well then I think it is time for change.

That's not all they are trying to change though, it's all part of the plan to rebrand the SANFL as AFL South Australia to fall into line with the other states. The AFL are pressuring the SANFL to change it's name, structure and under age competitions by offering more money if they do.
I've heard that the SANFL gets just $1million for junior development and the other states that have bowed to the AFL's wishes and conformed get $2.5million.

There are a number of clubs who are dead against the idea, Port and Glenelg are the strongest 2 against the idea from what I've heard but sadly I think money will win out in the end.

That's not all they are trying to change though, it's all part of the plan to rebrand the SANFL as AFL South Australia to fall into line with the other states. The AFL are pressuring the SANFL to change it's name, structure and under age competitions by offering more money if they do.

Does it matter though? There will always be football in S.A. We will always have our own heritage, rivalry's and tradition. No one can take that away from us. The Roosters will still line up against the Magpies on a Saturday afternoon in our own competition. The croweaters will still try to kick a vic in state of origin. The term SANFL really should be SAFL, because there is nothing national about it. Thats always been my view.

I've heard that the SANFL gets just $1million for junior development and the other states that have bowed to the AFL's wishes and conformed get $2.5million.

I agree its unfair. But if I was in charge of the AFL I would do the same thing. An extra $1.5 million would get a lot of extra footys to kids in regional SA.

There are a number of clubs who are dead against the idea, Port and Glenelg are the strongest 2 against the idea from what I've heard but sadly I think money will win out in the end.

Seriously I agree with you, but for the sake of footy I think we need to evolve. I would hate to see SA footy in isolation because of us being precious about ourselves. And without being in the sancto sanctorum of the SANFL, maybe we do need a change.

Its a hard one isn't it. Purely from an SANFL perspective it makes sense to have U17/19s. It gives more opportunity to those that probably wouldn't have it. A case could be made is that it rewards mediocrity. From a recruiting, AFL perspective it makes sense to have an U18 format. You have batch of players all in the same league all on an equal footing, nation wide

The best U18's can be watched at the state 18's competition anyway. Its not as if the selectors are going to miss a good player and not select him.

The new structure would mean alot less kids playing, and just giving up on developing at the SANFL level and falling back to their local clubs.

At the moment our clubs have the luxury of being able to develope the 20-23 year olds with our structure because it allows the 18-19 year olds to be rotated between u19's/reserves. Lets say U17's/19's were abolished. It means all players 19 and over would have to fight for a place in the Reserves/league. All the SANFL clubs would now have to choose between developing the youth or retaining the 20 something players.

Thats what makes our competition so strong, we dont just chuck in the youth we have a good mix of those '20 something SANFL players' and the gun kids.

The SANFL has a history just as rich as the VFL/AFL and a name may not mean much to you but it does to alot of the former players/supporters. Hell it does to me. The AFL just wants to put their brand onto our competition and dictate our football league. **** em.

Anyone read the article in the paper today about this topic.

Notice how the sucessful clubs want to keep the current system, because they know how to use it.

We are risking our leagues rank as 2nd best competition in the country here. And why, because we want more AFL money? Because we want more draftees? Its just ****ed.

Does it matter though? There will always be football in S.A. We will always have our own heritage, rivalry's and tradition. No one can take that away from us. The Roosters will still line up against the Magpies on a Saturday afternoon in our own competition. The croweaters will still try to kick a vic in state of origin. The term SANFL really should be SAFL, because there is nothing national about it. Thats always been my view.

It is called The SANFL because at the time of the name change (1927 or thereabouts) it was to distinguish the code as the NATIONAL football not Soccer or Rugby.

If I was the AFL I'd be more worried about how to keep 9 melbourne clubs afloat than telling the SANFL how to run their competition. F*** 'em!!!

"This proposed new structure aims to increase the number of underage players progressing to SANFL League football, increase the composition of South Australian players in SANFL League teams, enhance the performance of the state’s Under 18 team in the National Championships and increase the number of South Australians drafted to the AFL."

"The majority of League Directors were in favour of the proposed changes."

"The decision rests with the Commission, which meets later this month."

This is only happening because the crap clubs like South and Westies dont want to spend so much money on junior developement. Its just ridiculous.

Port, Glenelg etc, they know how to use the junior teams and how important they are in the future, they become your supporters your officials.

This is just ridiculous and will only weaken our comp, not strengthen it.

Anyone read the article in the paper today about this topic.

Notice how the sucessful clubs want to keep the current system, because they know how to use it.

I'm not sure thats really crrect, going by the table at the moment perhaps but over the last few years Sturt and Glenelg havn't been that successfull and neither have Port.

I'm not really sure if I am for it or against it but something has to be done about the u17 competition but I'm not so convinced about the U19 one. Anyway it got past by the clubs last night so it will happen in some form.

IT'S OFFICIAL. The Under 19 & 17 competition will be replaced with an Under 18 & 16 competition as of 2009.

Under 18's will play a full season as the 19's do now but the Under 16's will be run more a a development league with sides playing 4-6 games a season. Each Club will have an U/16 development squad/academy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IT'S OFFICIAL. The Under 19 & 17 competition will be replaced with an Under 18 & 16 competition as of 2009.

Under 18's will play a full season as the 19's do now but the Under 16's will be run more a a development league with sides playing 4-6 games a season. Each Club will have an U/16 development squad/academy.

So we have gone from

U19s, 17's and u15s development

to U18's & a small U16's concept along with a development.

How ****en ridiculous.

I'm not sure thats really crrect, going by the table at the moment perhaps but over the last few years Sturt and Glenelg havn't been that successfull and neither have Port.

I'm not really sure if I am for it or against it but something has to be done about the u17 competition but I'm not so convinced about the U19 one. Anyway it got past by the clubs last night so it will happen in some form.

TAC U18's almost every year are allowing more 19 year olds.

As our CEO at the Eagles said, 19's is the right age. Why are we changing it?

For money.

TAC U18's almost every year are allowing more 19 year olds.

As our CEO at the Eagles said, 19's is the right age. Why are we changing it?

For money.

They are not really increasing it by much. Under the proposal in the SANFL I think four U19 players will be allowed to play in the U18 comp which will be more than enough.

They are not really increasing it by much. Under the proposal in the SANFL I think four U19 players will be allowed to play in the U18 comp which will be more than enough.

Yes I also heard that.

But I am pretty sure next year the TAC is allowing something like 6 or more 19 year olds to play in the comp. As the Eagles CEO said, U19's is the right age. Why are we even changing it.

I know I rant on about this. But hell even at the Eagles if we didn't have our current system in place we might not have seen half the kids who have played league this year at all in Eagles colours, they probably would have gone back to their local clubs at the start of the year because they would have never gotten a game at the start of the year.

Thats the issue with it. Late bloomers and guys that arent ready will either be forced to play reserves or will be lost to the amateurs. I think whats its going to do is potentially weaken the reserves competition as well. Clubs will need to make hard choices between early 20s fringe players and 18/19 year olds and will have to make a decision between them.

I good comment on a different site was that there are plenty of kids on junior lists out there who have to play school footy and only play a handful of games a year. At the moment, the U19s allows them to have a full year in the juniors after schooling if they need it for their development. Change the system and these kids wont get that. Also mentioned was that Power listed Paul Stewart was in that predictament and after year 12 had only played 4 or 5 U19s games. That year he went from U19s to playing in an SANFL premiership and getting drafted.

I dunno, I reckon they should leave it how it is.

Yes I also heard that.

But I am pretty sure next year the TAC is allowing something like 6 or more 19 year olds to play in the comp. As the Eagles CEO said, U19's is the right age. Why are we even changing it.

I know I rant on about this. But hell even at the Eagles if we didn't have our current system in place we might not have seen half the kids who have played league this year at all in Eagles colours, they probably would have gone back to their local clubs at the start of the year because they would have never gotten a game at the start of the year.

WWTFC have been the driving force behind the change! I know for a fact that they can't wait for the new system to be implemented.

WWTFC have been the driving force behind the change! I know for a fact that they can't wait for the new system to be implemented.

No, we wanted a 19's competition with a reduced 17's competition. Because thats the nature of junior footy.

The younger players filter up, 17's are always affected the most. I think he wanted 17's to only play for the first half of the year or something like that, I am not too sure.

To me, I would prefer the SANFL to be known for getting a large ammount of players getting drafted to the AFL, rather than being the 2nd best league in Australia. Personally, I think if the current system produces a poorer quality league for our kids that want to get drafted, then we should change it to an U18's league. I'm no expert on the matter though.

Below is a story of a young 16 y.o. footy player from Adelaide, Port development squads is in critical condition and has been given a 50/50 chance of survival. I know this as one of my mates decided no to go in that car this morning. The driver is the footy player who i won't name and i had always thought would go on to play AFL football. He probably won't now:confused:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24988071-5006301,00.html

Below is a story of a young 16 y.o. footy player from Adelaide, Port development squads is in critical condition and has been given a 50/50 chance of survival. I know this as one of my mates decided no to go in that car this morning. The driver is the footy player who i won't name and i had always thought would go on to play AFL football. He probably won't now:confused:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24988071-5006301,00.html

Yeah its in todays paper. Thats pretty sad. Young Port Magpies player.

Hopefully he pulls through.

Remove this Banner Ad

U18's to replace U17s & 19's?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back