Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

matt decat

Team Captain
Jan 8, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
I was at the game tonight, and from where i was sitting i thought that the umpiring at time was very poor. however in saying that, i always think the umpiring was poor when im at the games coz you dont have a proper view of the play so i have some decissions that id like other opinions on. i realise that the umpires arent to blame for the loss, but i would like opinions none the less.

1) Duigans deliberate OOB x2

2) Russels push on Blair

3) The two or three tackles deep in the pies forward line in the 2nd. thought there was a couple of holding the ball calls that could have been made but werent, then after about the 4th ball up Krakour scores. holding the ball calls can be tough, but thought that there were a couple that were called against us that were stiff compared to what wasnt paid in the passage.

4) Collins (mighta been someone else) mark that wasnt allowed in the 3rd. th one 10 m out after someone had a snap.

5) The free after robinson steamed through and made the spoil. TBH i didnt see the incodent, might have been there as i think one of our players (gibbs?) dived in and madde no effort to get rid of it.

6) what were the 50s for? backchat? did have a radio so dont know what was going on there...

FWIW, i think our lack of forward structure killed us tonight. too often it was betts or garlett one out in the 50 and waite was up the ground. really think we are struggling without hendo kruez and bower, those extra big men just strighten us up.

I was at the game tonight, and from where i was sitting i thought that the umpiring at time was very poor. however in saying that, i always think the umpiring was poor when im at the games coz you dont have a proper view of the play so i have some decissions that id like other opinions on. i realise that the umpires arent to blame for the loss, but i would like opinions none the less.

First one was pretty bad, second one had to be paid after the first though

2) Russels push on Blair

disgustingly terrible decision

3) The two or three tackles deep in the pies forward line in the 2nd. thought there was a couple of holding the ball calls that could have been made but werent, then after about the 4th ball up Krakour scores. holding the ball calls can be tough, but thought that there were a couple that were called against us that were stiff compared to what wasnt paid in the passage.

holding the ball was terrible all night, they missed obvious ones and payed ones that were clearly ball ups

4) Collins (mighta been someone else) mark that wasnt allowed in the 3rd. th one 10 m out after someone had a snap.

deemed not 15, to me it looked enough, commentators said it wasnt so not sure, hard to tell, the view on TV didnt offer much (on second thought couldve been touched? i remember not 15 though)

5) The free after robinson steamed through and made the spoil. TBH i didnt see the incodent, might have been there as i think one of our players (gibbs?) dived in and madde no effort to get rid of it.

didnt agree with this, just one of many though

6) what were the 50s for? backchat? did have a radio so dont know what was going on there...

the first 50 was backchat, Simpson said something as he ran past the umpire but I missed the 2nd one

FWIW, i think our lack of forward structure killed us tonight. too often it was betts or garlett one out in the 50 and waite was up the ground. really think we are struggling without hendo kruez and bower, those extra big men just strighten us up.

in red

A couple of bad ones really cost us momentum, but it was not the reason we lost at all. No point worrying about it.

If the same happened in the finals though...

A couple of bad ones really cost us momentum, but it was not the reason we lost at all. No point worrying about it.

If the same happened in the finals though...

agree that its not why we lost. just wanted to know if i thought the calls looked correct on the telle, instaed of the calls looking bad from the point of view of a one eyed carlton supporter sitting 100m away from the play.

the loss of momentum with some of the calls was the frustrating thing. at least its good to know we have a lot of improvement to come when we get some key players back and we played a full strength (bar brown) collingwood team.

I agree with what has been said about umpires usually not being the reason for losses, but I disagree strongly in this case. We were out-played by a more experienced and cool-headed team, but we lost by 28 points. When you look at the impact that those terrible calls had, either resulting in a goal directly or indirectly from changing the momentum of the game, I think those bad calls actually were (or very close to it) the difference tonight. Like I said, the Pies played the better footy, but take out those terrible calls and you damn near have a draw on your hands.

Blair decision was baffling.

But i think the umpiring was pretty bad for both teams. I refuse to use umpiring as an excuse for tonight.

Yeah, as an impartial viewer I'd agree with that. Some of the umpiring in the opening games has been very frustrating. Incorrect disposal, especially inconsistency with applying that rule, and the inability for defenders to spoil without infringing - although that is more to do with the rules - has me shaking my head.

I loved the one where Gibbs goes to ground with Shaw's arm around his neck when the ump whistles the play.

His arm is still over his should when the umpire runs in.

Collingwood then gets the ball pumps it long for dawes to mark and goal.

There difference tonight was Collingwood got most of the calls for holding the ball where as the pressure we placed on them wasn't rewarded for situations just like they had gotten free kicks for.

The consistency was appualing.

I loved the one where Gibbs goes to ground with Shaw's arm around his neck when the ump whistles the play.

His arm is still over his should when the umpire runs in.

Collingwood then gets the ball pumps it long for dawes to mark and goal.

There difference tonight was Collingwood got most of the calls for holding the ball where as the pressure we placed on them wasn't rewarded for situations just like they had gotten free kicks for.

The consistency was appualing.

Pretty much my point as well, especially the Gibbs one. A blind man could have seen that was a free TO Gibbs, yet somehow the numbnuts with the whistle gives a free kick AGAINST The Gibbster. Shockingly bad calls being made all night, but at least they were consistent... consistently incorrect that is.

In my childhood there was a golden age of umpiring when Glenn James ruled the paddock...

It is what it is and we just have to learn to win in spite of the umpiring.

In my childhood there was a golden age of umpiring when Glenn James ruled the paddock...

It is what it is and we just have to learn to win in spite of the umpiring.

I stand by my statement that the umps did in fact cost us the game tonight, or at least contributed greatly to it, but I think you're right too. I can't wait until we keep on improving and get to that elite level where we can run teams down and still win even when the calls aren't going our way.

Pretty much my point as well, especially the Gibbs one. A blind man could have seen that was a free TO Gibbs, yet somehow the numbnuts with the whistle gives a free kick AGAINST The Gibbster. Shockingly bad calls being made all night, but at least they were consistent... consistently incorrect that is.

This was the most baffling one. Gibbs had at least 2, maybe 3 free teammates within 5 metres of him and within 40 metres of goal ... OBVIOUSLY he would try to get the ball out to them. The fact he didn't could mean only one thing ... Shaw was holding it in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We matched the pies in all but a 5-10 minute period.

That coincided with Russell's infamous nudge but it's a lapse like that that separates us from a higher ladder position. The whole team's morale dropped and they seemed to be waiting for the 1/2 time siren. All over, red rover.

2) Russels push on Blair

Now an opinion from an opposition supporter's pespective:

1. The first was there without a doubt. Duigan just walked it over the boundary.

The second should not have been paid. He tapped it out backwards towards a teammate.

2. I shook my head at this decision at the time but then heard David Parkin on ABC say it is illegal to shepherd when the ball is more than 5 metres away. I'm no physicist but the shepherd was probably there a second after Russell marked it. Pretty sure it didn't cover 5 metres in half a second. But its the umpire's discretion I suppose.

3. Never understood this rule. Never will!

4. Ball didn't travel required distance. Again discretionary.

5. Can't comment as I can't recall passage of play.

6. First was abuse. Second was Waite being Waite. He must frustrate you so much. Someone with that much talent needs to have his brain farts addressed.

FYI.

2. I shook my head at this decision at the time but then heard David Parkin on ABC say it is illegal to shepherd when the ball is more than 5 metres away. I'm no physicist but the shepherd was probably there a second after Russell marked it. Pretty sure it didn't cover 5 metres in half a second. But its the umpire's discretion I suppose.

Please dont try to justify that horrible decision, blair was clearly out muscled by a much bigger opponent, that fact that he fell to the ground was the only thing the umpire noticed, and immediately blew his whistle like the muppet he is, if out muscling your opponents is now illegal, dawes and cloke need to be suspended after that appalling performance....

The HUN actually writing something correct!:thumbsu:

A contentious free kick before halftime to Blair, paid against Jordan Russell, gutted the Blues.
If Blair runs into the much larger Russell, who is just holding his ground in the contest, and Blair falls over because of the size imbalance, why is it Russell's fault?

Please dont try to justify that horrible decision, blair was clearly out muscled by a much bigger opponent, that fact that he fell to the ground was the only thing the umpire noticed, and immediately blew his whistle like the muppet he is, if out muscling your opponents is now illegal, dawes and cloke need to be suspended after that appalling performance....

Its because the ball was more than 5 metres away.

The HUN actually writing something correct!:thumbsu:

A contentious free kick before halftime to Blair, paid against Jordan Russell, gutted the Blues.
If Blair runs into the much larger Russell, who is just holding his ground in the contest, and Blair falls over because of the size imbalance, why is it Russell's fault?

ITS BECAUSE THE BALL WAS MORE THAN 5 METRES AWAY!!

The umpires were disgusting tonight, but it wasn't just for us. We were gifted a few cheapies that came in handy.

Interpretation really needs to be looked at.

Anyway, we lost because we weren't good enough, not because of the umpires.

You can't shepherd when the ball is more than 5 metres away.

He didn't shepherd, he fended him off.

Something your and every other clubs forwards do every week when the ball is 40-50 metres away.

So it's Russells fault that Blair ran into him?

That wasn't a sheppard, it was just JR standing his ground.

If anything, Blair should have given away a free kick for running into JR without his eyes on the ball.

You can't shepherd when the ball is more than 5 metres away.

He didn't shepherd, he fended him off.

Something your and every other clubs forwards do every week when the ball is 40-50 metres away.
This.

Every marking contest involved each player trying to push each other out of the contest. What did Russell do? Push Blair out of the contest. It ain't Russ' fault that Blair is a sack of shit.

Dude ... Russell was standing at exactly the spot where the ball was going to fall (as proven when he took the mark). Another player ran at him to PUSH HIM out of the spot. He fended the other player off and took the mark.

Blair initiated contact, therefore HE was the one doing the pushing before the ball arrived ... he simply lost and then was duly rewarded with an incorrect free kick.

What was Russell supposed to have done? Let himself get pushed out of the marking contest by a midget?

Dude ... Russell was standing at exactly the spot where the ball was going to fall (as proven when he took the mark). Another player ran at him to PUSH HIM out of the spot. He fended the other player off and took the mark.

Blair initiated contact, therefore HE was the one doing the pushing before the ball arrived ... he simply lost and then was duly rewarded with an incorrect free kick.

What was Russell supposed to have done? Let himself get pushed out of the marking contest by a midget?

You have to remember that a lot of people on bigfooty are the fat kid who always got picked last on the football team.

The concept of what happens in a game and the actual rules allude them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back