Unexpected improvers

Remove this Banner Ad

Just thought I'd make a thread about some of the big improvers that had little or no selections on stuff like the Bigfooty Squads thread and not much discussion or expectation on them pre-season.

Kurt Tippett
Bret Thornton (although he started off kind of like this last year, if he has another slow finish I might even consider picking him next year and giving myself the ability to probably make a free trade to a premium)
Simon Wiggins
Jordan Russell
Richard Hadley (dropped now though)
Shane O'Bree
Shannon Cox (also dropped now)
Brent Stanton
Heath Hocking
Michael Johnson
Byron Schammer
Chance Bateman
Cyril Rioli
Garry Moss (if you picked him you are extremely lucky or a genius)
Leigh Harding
Andrew Swallow (think a couple of people picked him, but I doubt anybody expected him to be averaging as well as he is)
Scott McMahon
Sam Power
Aaron Davey
Cale Morton
Matt Thomas (when he's played)
Matt White
Luke McGuane
Nick Dal Santo (I actually strongly considered him :mad:)
Leigh Montagna
Sam Gilbert
Jason Blake
Jude Bolton
Darren Jolly
Ryan Hargrave
Adam Selwood
David Wirrpanda

Early days obviously, but anybody who had any of these guys would obviously be extremely happy and probably somewhat surprised with their return.

Garry Moss (if you picked him you are extremely lucky or a genius)

Picked him up the week before his price went up for Hasleby (pretty much doubled his score the last two weeks). Think I just grabbed him to do something different and it payed off! Was able to upgrade Raines to Goddard out of it too! :)

Just gotta hope he keeps it up now!

Swallow is the main one I reckon. Been amazing this season only wish I had him.

Interesting one.

If Anthony didn't get injured and played round 1, Swallow may well have been playing out most of the year in the reserves.

Remember, he was only named in the team after the injury to Anthony was revealed ... after lockout.

Interesting one.

If Anthony didn't get injured and played round 1, Swallow may well have been playing out most of the year in the reserves.

Remember, he was only named in the team after the injury to Anthony was revealed ... after lockout.

True but that won't matter now with Harvey gone. Swallow will likely continue to dominate and Anthony will come in take that position that was his anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who would have ever considered Simon Wiggins or Jordan Russell ???

icon_spiderman.gif

Travis Boak - although I guess some people 'expected' him to improve - like me... off all my starting mid and high range mids, he was my only decent pick really.

Sam Gilbert

There was a bit about this guy, but definitely only towards the later end of the preseason - nothing throughout summer.

Of your list, the guys I had on my shortlist and seriously considered were Swallow, Hargrave and Wirrapanda. It does go to show though... who needs BigFooty!

Also, (I guess its a similar topic) I never expected Lockyer to do so well. Last year his average dropped, but I saw no real reason for it to rise again. Everyone jumped on him after the 150 against the Eagles in the NAB Cup, but that was the worst squad WC could've put out. Being listed as a back would've helped, but yeah, I really thought that one would flop.

Stanton, Morton and Hargrave were the only ones I gave any thought too. Lockyers scoring caught me by complete surprise too.

Considered Dal Santo and Stanton, but the tags scared me off. Might need to put a bit more thought in next time.

Apart from those two, gave Hargrave some consideration but wasn't sure about his lock-down jobs, was pretty keen on Morton and had a minor interest in Schammer.

I had Davis in the my team all pre-season until he played Geelong in the NAB cup, which scared me off him. I've traded him in now for Harvey as unlike many others, I think he can be a consistent forward option as he is playing longer in the midfield, kicking goals and his tackle count is up.

I started Tippett as my second ruck, and I did expect him to improve substantially over last year, especially once he was in line to be backup ruckman as well as forward.

The main reason I did that though was because I couldn't decide on a second premium ruckman who was guaranteed to average 85 or better. Hille had only ever had one good year and was slightly injury prone....Simmonds is not getting any younger, and Petrie (who I considered the best of the 3) looked like rotating between CHF and CHB with McIntosh back, so he may not have scored as highly. I was originally going to go with McIntosh, but his pre-season put me off.

So I decided to make my second ruck one of my 8 upgrade spots and went with K-Tipp. His 29 in round 1 worried me, but it's been smooth sailing since then. Looking at upgrading him to Petrie on the cheap in a couple of rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unexpected improvers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back