Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think some women in male-dominated sports/industries feel the need to be blokey to survive

Kath is sexy and funny
I must have misinterpreted your post.

I don't think any of the females should feel a need to balance out their femininity.

The reason feminin women, lesbian women are on there is because we want a different perspective and a change from the lame cliched blokey shit we've reluctantly tolerated for decades.

Be yourself.

Can’t wait to watch wrestle mania a real sport that’s not rigged.
Real Refs that umpire to the rules

6/9 of Freo goals were from dodgy ump calls today - so I agree.

There should be far less free kicks called than there is now not more, even things like holding the ball. Free kicks should be reserved for blatant ones otherwise play on.
I disagree. I think the opposite. The game would far better if the umps were red hot and paid everything. Even if it meant 40-50 frees per game. The players would quickly adapt. They would stop playing the man as much as they do and would focus more on the ball.

The whole reason our game has become borderline unwatchable is because umps only pay the "blatant ones" (the ones where the recipient adds extra mayo) and most players just scrag and block and illegally bump opponents out of the contest.

No more speckies... No more 100 goal a year forwards... No teams kicking 20 goals in a game... This is partly attributable to zone defences. But the weak-arsed umpiring has also had a detrimental effect. They let players get away with WAY TOO MUCH.

Game is borderline scripted at this point. So many games decided by decisions that literally make zero sense.
Most likely gambling that has infected it from the top down.
League continually sweeping more and more under the carpet, the smell from afl hq is dank

Neither of the clubs I support has purple in its colours. Still I didn't expect a Carlton supporter to know much about footy.
My apologies I thought you must have been a freo supporter hiding behind all those tears- having a look at your Clubs- I see your tears are about your own Club - nm- next week you get a chance at Carlton - cool eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. I think the opposite. The game would far better if the umps were red hot and paid everything. Even if it meant 40-50 frees per game. The players would quickly adapt. They would stop playing the man as much as they do and would focus more on the ball.

The whole reason our game has become borderline unwatchable is because umps only pay the "blatant ones" (the ones where the recipient adds extra mayo) and most players just scrag and block and illegally bump opponents out of the contest.

No more speckies... No more 100 goal a year forwards... No teams kicking 20 goals in a game... This is partly attributable to zone defences. But the weak-arsed umpiring has also had a detrimental effect. They let players get away with WAY TOO MUCH.
yep - 30 years agon the number of frees paid over a season was double what it is today.

My unpopular opinion is have more game day footage of umpires doing unique Aussie Rules umpire things. Like walking on and off the ground in tight formation, running backwards along the boundary line quickly, tight shots on boundary throw-ins backwards over the head, or an umpy having a quick flutter on the Cats or the Blues on Sportsbet ahead of the game.

Also, bring back goal umpires with white hats and long white coats, who didn’t absolutely love that?

Also use AI to recreate Lou Richards in commentary…oh Man, the list of things is just too long…

Completely agree. Was watching yesterday and realised that the push in the back rule seems to have gone now. It just isn't paid at all.

There should be far less free kicks called than there is now not more, even things like holding the ball. Free kicks should be reserved for blatant ones otherwise play on.
I see you enjoyed it when they trialled it (for the Bulldogs only) in the 2016 Grand Final.

I strongly dislike female commentators and will often change stations (if I can)
I had to watch Sydney v West Coast with the sound off due to Underwood.

But I've also noticed them popping up on pre-game betting shows.

There is zero public demand for it. None whatsoever. I can only assume it's a quota driven exercise to demonstrate ''diversity and inclusion''.

Isa Guha is great on the cricket, but there's not one female comentator or contributor that I like or think benefits the AFL. AFLW is completely different. They should be prolific in the women's game.

I doubt you'll agree, nonetheless, I enjoyed your post.

My unpopular opinion is have more game day footage of umpires doing unique Aussie Rules umpire things. Like walking on and off the ground in tight formation, running backwards along the boundary line quickly, tight shots on boundary throw-ins backwards over the head, or an umpy having a quick flutter on the Cats or the Blues on Sportsbet ahead of the game.

Also, bring back goal umpires with white hats and long white coats, who didn’t absolutely love that?

Also use AI to recreate Lou Richards in commentary…oh Man, the list of things is just too long…

It’s funny how the AFL and its umpires’ preoccupation with helping the Cats has manifested itself via 4 straight matches where we have lost the free kick count

That’s definitely how I would try and manufacture results, just as a starting point. I’d say ‘award more free kicks to the other team guys’
That’s definitely how I’d do it. I’d go really hard at that angle
Where I’d focus is say, in the last two minutes of a close game like last night, when an opposition forward takes a mark by clearly pushing a Geelong player in the middle of the back, and I’d ignore it and award the mark and allow the margin to get cut to 4 points with a minute to play.

It’s common sense really.

My unpopular opinion is I like Kane Cornes. I think he adds a lot of value to the football media industry and he has slightly matured in recent years. When he first started he was a bit more antagonistic and wild.
Kane is good and almost all of his positions are defensible, except his unquestionable protection of Ken Hinkley.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back