Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

But they were nowhere near it and wouldnt have got close to the conference finals in the west.

His numbers are far better than last season, and are his best ever by a mile. Hes averaging 24/4/6 and a steal a game on 45% FG and 87% FT.

Chris Paul averages 18/4/9 on similar percentages and is considered to be a superstar.
So? Those teams were flat out terrible. Put a half decent roster next to LeBron in those years and they win a title. The best player LeBron had in that time frame was ****ing Mo Williams.

Kyrie's numbers are hardly any different from any other season. He was injured a fair bit of last season so he was down in production for a bit. He put up 22 and 6 a few seasons ago and that's basically what he's doing now. Never have I seen a guy be rated like Kyrie seemingly is purely on what they think he is going to be. He's no better than any other season. He hasn't upped his assists, his rebounding or his steals. Scoring efficiency is practically the same as in the past too.

Plain and simply he is being overrated. Where is the so called play of an MVP candidate?

Chris Paul is irrelevant to the conversation but I'll bite. He's been a superstar in the past and is beginning to decline. I think he's slowly going to leave the superstar conversation pretty soon. In the past he's been a brilliant offensive anchor, even if his scoring numbers don't stick out a heap. His playmaking blows Irving's away.

Last edited:
Irving is having a really good year. It's hard to say what sort of numbers he could average as a number one option given he is surrounded by LeBron and Love.

But almost 24 points and 6 assists per game are excellent numbers for a 2a option (with Love being a 2b option this season).

What I particularly like about Kyrie is that his play appears to pick-up in the playoffs. That's relatively unusual. Some players post superior numbers due to more minutes but it's rare for a player to simply play at a higher level. We saw that with Kyrie through the playoffs and it culminated with a dominant performance against the two-time MVP.

Kemba Walker is having a great season but could he put together a playoff run like that? Could he walk on to the floor against the Warriors and genuinely believe that he's the best guard on the court?

Speaking of that....

I don't think the Warriors chasing the wins record last year had much to do with them not winning it all last year.

Every time it gets bought up in the media about them winning 70+ games this year the 'expert' reporter says "No, they won't do it. They will learn there lesson from last year".

Bollocks.

If the Warriors had of sat superstars (or played them less minutes) in the last weeks of the season it would have made little to no difference.

Curry got injured twice. Barnes forgot how to play basketball. Green went dick hunting. LeBron played the GOAT finals. And of course there was a choke in there as well. None of this had to do with them chasing 70+ wins.

LeBron minutes per game > anyone of the Warriors minutes per game (Lebron finished 12th in the league).

Green was the guy that played the most minutes last year for the Warriors and he was 23rd in the league. Curry was 26th and Thompson was 36th. Hardly scary stuff.

Correct. That narrative has been really lazy.

There is a range of reasons why the Warriors lost but 'chasing 73' certainly isn't one of them.

And lebron would have one less ring without Kyrie.
Also the Cavs wouldnt be top 2 without Kyrie either, even in the shallow east.
Eh don't think the Lebrons would fall off much at all as long as they got a competent replacement. Don't really care to argue, I'm busy watching a real superstar on the Bucks. :)

Realistically we're in one of the best guard eras ever and I still only have Westbrook, Curry, Paul and Lillard ahead as PGs.

Wall is up there too, but too turnover prone for my liking.

Kyle Lowry dislikes this

Irving is having a really good year. It's hard to say what sort of numbers he could average as a number one option given he is surrounded by LeBron and Love.

We saw that with Kyrie through the playoffs and it culminated with a dominant performance against the two-time MVP.

We could find out if Cleveland ever didn't have love or LeBron..

Oh wait they did. And yet they were trash

And that's 2 time mvp on one knee

So how about a guy like Giannis? He aint in the top 3 SFs in the game, so he cant possibly be a superstar by your standards.

Apropos of everything else, Giannis I think will be. He impacts a basketball game in so many ways it's scary.

Kyrie, no. But then again I don't consider Melo a superstar either, so that's me. He's a good Robin for LeBron though.

Is that the same two-time MVP who outpointed Westbrook in the conference finals? Was Curry injured then or is he merely injured when he gets outplayed? It is so hard to keep track.

What I particularly like about Kyrie is that his play appears to pick-up in the playoffs. That's relatively unusual.

Not disagreeing with this, but just saying that for the past 2-3 seasons the entire Cavs team can pretty much coast at about 80% all season and still enter the playoffs the #1 seed. So, in theory, most Cavs players should be improving come playoffs time... Not even taking into account that they should be a little fresher than their opponents.

Yeah I'd be more likely to include him if he hadnt just torched me hard by going 2-9 for 6 points in 30 minutes.
Forget the West coast swing

Everyone has a bad day

He and Wall are the 2 best points out East.

What like 3 years ago when Kyrie was what 21? And averaging 21 and 6 still. With literally nobody around him.

OKC are gash, does that mean westbrook isnt a star?
The Pels are gash does that mean Davis isnt a star?

I guess you wouldnt know what a superstar was. Hasnt been one in Chicago since Jordan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What like 3 years ago when Kyrie was what 21? And averaging 21 and 6 still. With literally nobody around him.

OKC are gash, does that mean westbrook isnt a star?
The Pels are gash does that mean Davis isnt a star?

I guess you wouldnt know what a superstar was. Hasnt been one in Chicago since Jordan.

Yet okc have a winning record.

Cleveland were a 25 win unit with Irving

I think Chicago have a superstar right now

Also the thing about point guards. They need to make their teammates better

Yet okc have a winning record.

Cleveland were a 25 win unit with Irving

I think Chicago have a superstar right now

Also the thing about point guards. They need to make their teammates better

Rondo?
Wade?
Or the soon to be somewhere else Jimmy?

You try making that Cleveland team better.

No point guard in the history of the game could make that team work.

Especially not a 21 year old kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back