VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

While these threads often cover off on-field trials and tribulations, it was fantastic to receive an e-mail from Dairy Bell this week announcing that Phil "The Power" Proy has been announced as the new president of De La.

Those that have been in and around ammo footy for a long time would know the wonderful contribution that Phil has already made to the club (often behind the bar) and his passion to see the Blue and Gold once again gracing Premier grade and aiming for our first top flight flag since 1991.

Phil will be well supported by one of the best football administrators going around in Jenny Loughnan as VP, long standing treasurer Roy Micklejohn and Secretary Simon Forer round out the top 4.

Fantastic appointments indeed.

What happened at VAFA HQ so far this year will be like nothing compared to what about to unfold at the 2022 VAFA AGM. It will be 'The Night of the Long Knives' at Sportscover Arena/Elsternwick Park...and the fallout will be massive. The ramifications from that VAFA AGM will be felt in years to come.

What happened at VAFA HQ so far this year will be like nothing compared to what about to unfold at the 2022 VAFA AGM. It will be 'The Night of the Long Knives' at Sportscover Arena/Elsternwick Park...and the fallout will be massive. The ramifications from that VAFA AGM will be felt in years to come.
Haven't you posted this before !

Old mate coach at Beaumaris up to his old tricks , calling every past player from Dragons , the #### has no morals .
Also McKenna probably going to Old Briighton
It ain’t a ‘Beaumaris’ thing, every Senior Coach worth his salt is networking this time of year, ex-Junior players from every Club move around from League to League now more than ever

Old mate coach at Beaumaris up to his old tricks , calling every past player from Dragons , the #### has no morals .
I don’t see the big issue. You’ll find that most players will either stay as they enjoy the club culture. They might leave as they want the challenge of playing a better standard of footy. You can’t hold a kid back if they want to do that. If you do the right things if they exit you might see them return down the track.

If your coach is not working the phones this time of the year then you should look for a new one. Any coach worth his salt should be trying to recruit players. If the Beaumaris coach has contacts through the Sandy Dragons he would be crazy not to tap into them.

If your coach is not working the phones this time of the year then you should look for a new one. Any coach worth his salt should be trying to recruit players. If the Beaumaris coach has contacts through the Sandy Dragons he would be crazy not to tap into them.
I know , just pisses me off . Don't worry our coach is working hard . This bloke uses his dragons time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's one thing the VAFA can do at if they want to get back on the good books with the VAFA community. Bring back the printed editions of 'The Amateur Footballer' on a weekly basis instead of being viewed online on the VAFA website. And in the 'Amateur Footballer', apart from the usual previews/reviews, 'For the Love of the Game' column, milestones in the record, recall the 'Looking Back' column that was written up by the late Noel Rundle out of an enforced retirement.

Fair comment.

1 thing I have brought up with some umpires is the lack of Umpire's Corner in the modern day version of the Amateur Footballer...but..not too sure we have umpires of the character of Steve McCarthy and Mike Murray to run it. That said the socials of the UA are strong and I am helping out on that front!

In all seriousness, what do people see as the most important issues for the VAFA Board to fix or address?

Plenty.

1. Club facilities - particularly umpires change rooms. Often the forgotten area in terms of facilities and with the growing number of female umpire participation, umpires rooms across the board need improvement. Without wanting to single out a club there's a few clubs that need a lot of work in this area (clubs in Albert Park and South Yarra the most obvious).

2. Elsternwick Park. Headquarters has a number of issues. The ground surface is one that has been well discussed. The rooms and their maintenance is another. Sadly Old Melburnians aren't pulling their weight in keeping the rooms clean...knowing full well themselves and umpires use them during the week. The umpires have had to do much of the cleaning work. Also, the only ones doing anything about the place are the umpires - saving the social rooms with more to come in that space.

3. The ongoing discussion of alcohol consumption at matches. I think it is getting harder to police consumption by club volunteers of the public. I know that at clubs like Fitzroy and Preston there has been an issue there. Whether HQ likes it or not, it may need to look at this issue deeply - given also many clubs are playing women's matches at 5pm. If clubs are to survive and indeed prosper, do we change?

4. Finals. There seems to be this constant thing at working out which venues host finals. Is using Garvey Oval, Whitefriars, the previous use of St. Bernards etc are good idea in terms of finals or do we need to get the balance right with using VFL grounds even more?

5. I read the comment about Rep Footy and wonder whether if any comp will do it let alone ourselves. The failed experiment of combining the metro comps and the country ones should be the warning shot across the bow. Is there much interest in it from Perth, Adelaide and Hobart?

Last edited:
Except he is coming in from St Kevin’s. Maybe he will get some of their players?
Can’t see any kids living in Glen Iris travelling to Beauy to play, they all play with their mates, especially first year out. SKOB have already signed up 76 year 12 boys from 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back