VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW a prominent Ammo Club announcing re-signings for 2023 seems weird. What did they actually re-sign?
Might be the same one I saw. Probably would be better saying ‘have committed’ rather than ‘have re-signed’. I expect the club is trying to generate a bit of interest for next season. Perhaps shut down rumours of departures or perhaps influence potential recruits with news that key players are staying on. Challenging times for all clubs in all comps so no harm in sharing some good news with the players and supporters.

There's one thing the VAFA can do at if they want to get back on the good books with the VAFA community. Bring back the printed editions of 'The Amateur Footballer' on a weekly basis instead of being viewed online on the VAFA website. And in the 'Amateur Footballer', apart from the usual previews/reviews, 'For the Love of the Game' column, milestones in the record, recall the 'Looking Back' column that was written up by the late Noel Rundle out of an enforced retirement.
I agree Mr Jase, that would be huge.

Regarding the OM’s posts, they aren’t going anywhere, they basically funded the redevelopment of EP, it’s their home ground now 😂

What a shit hole.

Maybe they have to try harder , Marcellin have it tough at times , but adapt . I wonder if OM's have put enough work into it , what would they do if EP was closed for a season ?
They would do exactly what other clubs do when they are booted off due to redevelopment or resurfacing – find another venue. Many clubs are confronted with this scenario every season.

The Port Melbourne facility is not a fall back option for OMs. It was built to accommodate APS sport, not VAFA sport. I expect the deal they struck to pay at EP was primarily with Bayside council, not the VAFA. If for whatever reason Bayside see fit to evict them they will won’t be playing at the school facility. Would be the same if Scotch, Wesley, Xavs, SKOBs etc got evicted. They would have to find a council operated ground.

Last edited:

Take your point re Port Melb cc. But surely the issue with AFLW is that it runs across the cricket season. North Port has still hosted matches during footy season and even VFL / VFA finals matches in the fairly recent past. Perhaps it could work if the VAFA GFs were scheduled a week earlier (meaning only that we would get rid of the ridiculous mid-season double bye in Premier grades). Anyway, might not be possible but it is the sort of option that should be thoroughly explored.
The key is to have a central venue that can accommodate a decent HQ/change rooms etc and can be fenced off for finals.

Disagree about Sandy not being too far. Might be OK from Ormond, but remember that about a third of the clubs are situated north of the Yarra. If you are Therry or St Bernards or Ivanhoe and you play at Sandy on a Sat arvo, good luck getting home before 7.30pm. And Sandy would pretty much rule out training sessions for any umpire not based in the southern suburbs.
Ormond 2 years in a row had to go to Coburg for finals , everyone has to travel.

Ormond 2 years in a row had to go to Coburg for finals , everyone has to travel.
That's different. I think every club would be more than happy to travel for the chance to play finals at a quality venue.

Would your club be as happy to travel to Coburg for:
  • season launch
  • media day
  • match of the round
  • rep training
  • tribunal
  • delegate meetings
etc
Plus as a base for umpires.

That's why I'm advocating a more centralised venue for HQ, not Sandy

That's different. I think every club would be more than happy to travel for the chance to play finals at a quality venue.

Would your club be as happy to travel to Coburg for:
  • season launch
  • media day
  • match of the round
  • rep training
  • tribunal
  • delegate meetings
etc
Plus as a base for umpires.

That's why I'm advocating a more centralised venue for HQ, not Sandy
I've got a better idea , a breakaway in North and South including some other comps . i've got a southern model with no School or Unis

Oh boo hoo, 35 minutes of travel time, that must have been a real killer!!!

Try an hour each way every single Wednesday night to get to training!

I know Ormond was always treated as the centre of the VAFA universe by HQ so I can imagine a 30 minute trip for a final was quite a shock to the system.

I've got a better idea , a breakaway in North and South including some other comps . i've got a southern model with no School or Unis
We need Mr Cave to post more, he at least talks sense. Are you aware that St Bede’s and Old Mentonians are old boys teams from private schools?

I know Ormond was always treated as the centre of the VAFA universe by HQ so I can imagine a 30 minute trip for a final was quite a shock to the system.
West Coast also play in Tasmania 😮

‘Was’ being the appropriate word, they haven’t been in A grade for a quarter of a century and B grade for 20 years.

It would be great for the VAFA if they were able to make the step back up to B grade in 2024, C grade looks to be an even competition next year, especially with Carey doing the double drop. Where they stop nobody knows, but it’s possible they do the triple drop.

It would also be great to see Rovers in B Grade whilst PEGS seem determined to rise back to B as quickly as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was only replying to someone that said Sandy was too far ffs

Might be the same one I saw. Probably would be better saying ‘have committed’ rather than ‘have re-signed’. I expect the club is trying to generate a bit of interest for next season. Perhaps shut down rumours of departures or perhaps influence potential recruits with news that key players are staying on. Challenging times for all clubs in all comps so no harm in sharing some good news with the players and supporters.

Was that your club and mine Jimmyjack ? I too was a little confused by the wording. Still nice to see some of our better ones going around again in 2023.

Was that your club and mine Jimmyjack ? I too was a little confused by the wording. Still nice to see some of our better ones going around again in 2023.
I reckon it might have been God Yeah. Have previously seen recruitment announcements but not retention announcements 😂. Must say the club communications absolutely first class this year and probably trying to leverage off the very positive end to the season. However the wording might have been a bit clumsy. Were those lads touted to be leaving?

Likewise happy to see that a few stalwarts going around again to complement the youngsters. Gutsy call by the coach to play all those kids in the back half of the season and it seemed to pay off. Just need to get the balance right and complement the list with some talent and experience.

For those of you at the Caulfield Cup tomorrow, keep your ear to the ground. It (along with Boxing day in the MCC members) has long been a fantastic source of VAFA comings & goings with many 'real stories being told'.

#Whispers
Will be full of cricketers

Sandy is really not a long way South a Frankston would be a long way .
Agree about OM and getting back to the match of the round .

Speak for yourself southeastern boy. I'm currently in New Zealand and its a closer drive from Werribee than Sandy.

For those of you at the Caulfield Cup tomorrow, keep your ear to the ground. It (along with Boxing day in the MCC members) has long been a fantastic source of VAFA comings & goings with many 'real stories being told'.

#Whispers

Wow, Ben Carbonaro stepping up to be the VAFA news source as well as fashionista and all round babe magnet?

#incredibleiftrue

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back