DavidInellaFanClub

Team Captain
Sep 27, 2005
Wangaratta
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I dont care how little he touches the ball, when the opposition defence clears the ball they do it in a rush, because his closing speed is enormous, and as you saw before often forces the turnover.

while we're on top I think we're able to carry his lack of ball gathering, because as mentioned his defensive pressure is outstanding. Thompson told him that he wanted him in the side (as sourced from The Mission) but that he ran out of gas last year. Evidently Thompson has plans for him.

I dont care how little he touches the ball, when the opposition defence clears the ball they do it in a rush, because his closing speed is enormous, and as you saw before often forces the turnover.

mate...this is exactly what i have been saying since he first came into the team!

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!

Pretty much one of the reasons i reckon he should be in every week. McCrabb for PM i reckon you just could be right, confidence and fitness would be very good atm any game now and hopefully see some of he's potential explode into an awesome game.

Is he going to be out of contract? if he is, sign him up quick.

Going to be special IMO.

showed a new side to his game tonight with a couple of deft touches.....was impressive.

The main difference between Byrnes and Varcoe is that when Varcoe is in play something good generally happens, when Byrnes is in play it generally leads to a turnover or a behind.

Yeah played a good game tonight. Didn't get a huge amount of the ball but when he did get it was generally good with it. is developing some silky smooth skills there. i've been a bit of a critic against him in the past, finding him to be largely overhyped, but he is growing to be a good inclusion to the team. No reason to drop him at the moment really.

I haven't been a massive fan of his (even thrown his name up to be used in a trade at year's end) but he was good tonight.

Seemed to present a lot more (maybe I haven't noticed that previously) yet still pressured in the FWD 50 and had a chance to bag his usual goal from 10 metres out.

Overall, I thought it was his best senior game so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seemed to present a lot more (maybe I haven't noticed that previously) yet still pressured in the FWD 50 and had a chance to bag his usual goal from 10 metres out.

I still think he is starting to get more time up the ground than deep forward and links well through the middle he played his junior games as a midfielder so probably knows how to play the game a little better from up the field.

He's ahead of Stokes right now for mine.

Ahh, no. How many goals Stokes kick tonight? 3 or 4? And he does it regularly.

As for his game tonight I though he was good. But he'll still have to improve on that and contribute more to become a permanant member of the 22

He looks a lot better when we win like that from my perspective. He demonstrated his skills quite well tonight but still seems to be running round the field searching & hoping rather than taking control, being part of the ball movement. Sure his pace and closing speed and pressure is good but I definitely remember a moment when he was hanging behind the Adelaide player who had taken a mark hoping the umpire would call play on so he could tackle him rather than manning up.

He is very slowly progressing towards being the player he could be and he does belong in the 22 right now. But if we lost a few games his 10 touches and half a goal wouldn't cut it.

Huge fan of Varcoe, Blake, Hunt ,Wojo, Kelly. Will be hard for Byrnes, Prismall and Hawkins to get back in. Maybe we should lease them to Melbourne, etc for 6 weeks or so to even things up!

He's ahead of Stokes right now for mine.

I'm glad you're not in charge then! The boy (Stokes) has kicked a good 25 odd goals this season.

But I do think the team is better with Varcoe in. Much like Rooke. Might not get a lot of the pill himself but he makes a huge difference.

...I definitely remember a moment when he was hanging behind the Adelaide player who had taken a mark hoping the umpire would call play on so he could tackle him rather than manning up.

This is Travis Varcoe playing to his strength. Sometimes it results in a better outcome for a player to be reactionary rather than pro-active like an Ablett. His closing speed to attack the carrier is phenomenal.

I remember Collingwood's team plan when they flogged us - deliberately waiting for us to take possession before attacking and forcing turnovers galore.

It's a good style of play, and if Varcoe can keep at it while at the same time staying on the weights and getting stronger and fitter, he will become a formidable part of our forward line.

Once Varcoe buffs up, our foward line is going to be so incredibly tough. Hawkins in a couple of years will be bustling and smashing around, Stokes and Chapman will be their usual, Rooke will spend some stints up there, hopefully Mooney wills till be around. Such a tough forward line.

I'm glad you're not in charge then! The boy (Stokes) has kicked a good 25 odd goals this season.

But I do think the team is better with Varcoe in. Much like Rooke. Might not get a lot of the pill himself but he makes a huge difference.

Speaking of the Max factor.....loved his attack on the pill tonight in close. There is no BS about the man....he is a one trick pony, just pure aggression, and i love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back