Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

That draft top 10 wasn’t the quality of 2018. Carlton got priority pick and had pick 1 as well which they weren’t willing to trade under any circumstances.

Pick 20 used on a bloke that played not much more than about 2 games and had a bunch of fitness issues. Very little talent in the second round. Not comparable.

I agree though when you look at the trades we certainly could have extracted more from Neale. At the end of the day 5 and 19 with other pick swaps would have been more than reasonable for mine.
It’s funny how the bloke they didn’t want as part of the trade saved them from what would’ve been a complete disaster. Chris Masten and Tonny Notte were the players they picked and even with Kennedy turning out the great kpf it’s still a net loss in my opinion. Chris Judd is the top 3 player of the last 20 years.
Isn’t hindsight beautiful

It’s funny how the bloke they didn’t want as part of the trade saved them from what would’ve been a complete disaster. Chris Masten and Tonny Notte were the players they picked and even with Kennedy turning out the great kpf it’s still a net loss in my opinion. Chris Judd is the top 3 player of the last 20 years.
Isn’t hindsight beautiful
Kennedy's career alone makes that a win for Eagles.

Chris Judd is the greatest draft selection of all time and I doubt anything is close.

Draft pick 3 who is instantly basically a top 10 player in the AFL and wins a brownlow in his 2nd year (lol). Win a flag with said player then trade him for a 700 goal KPF and a 200 game player (who most think was shit but 200 games is 200 games).

It is my crutch to rely on when people say WC are so incredibly run - sure but there's been a little bit of luck involved. Lets see when their next flag is

Chris Judd is the greatest draft selection of all time and I doubt anything is close.

Draft pick 3 who is instantly basically a top 10 player in the AFL and wins a brownlow in his 2nd year (lol). Win a flag with said player then trade him for a 700 goal KPF and a 200 game player (who most think was s**t but 200 games is 200 games).

It is my crutch to rely on when people say WC are so incredibly run - sure but there's been a little bit of luck involved. Lets see when their next flag is
I'd take 4 flags to be shittily run. Now we're just shittily run with no flags.

Normally I would have agreed if the midfielder involved was a one notch down in class and to an extent the 2018 premiership probably saved Eagles (Judd was long gone by then) however it’s about the generational talent that is quite rare that Judd was. Judd will be remembered as one of the best players of his era and is in the same class as GAJ and Franklin. Kennedy won’t and doesn’t belong in that group even as good a forward as he was.

Eagles most certainly won the Judd trade. They got a superstar KPF which is a lot harder to find than a superstar midfielder and he was a big part of their success and winning a flag. Judd won a Brownlow at Carlton but did nothing else. They were a rabble.

Eagles most certainly won the Judd trade. They got a superstar KPF which is a lot harder to find than a superstar midfielder and he was a big part of their success and winning a flag. Judd won a Brownlow at Carlton but did nothing else. They were a rabble.
Yep,
Just like we’ve won the Cerra trade but people still whinge about it.

My vent today is re: seeing a whole lot of grand final imagery in the past week and they inevitably put on the "3 peat" in these packages to show the glory of premiership success. And I just got gut punched.

I'm a whiny baby right now. I should harden up. But we really had to have our only EVER premiership window right on the cusp of hawthorns 6 year dynasty? They went deep in finals in 11, and only just went out in the semis in 2016

Of course we blew it in '15. That was really our year. We probably would have won against Eagles. Stings. I'm not even a super fan like so many of you fine people. But ahhhhh. I'm reeling right now. Can't help it. Some finals series I actually watch the heartbreaking games. To process out some of the feelings I'm having this week.

I can't this year. It's too raw. I ache for Fyfe. Pav. Mundy. Barlow. The whole crew in that era. Bled purple. Made it impossible not to get fully involved, heart on the line. '10 to '16 was my most invested period of our history after the early years. We're a bit too clinical these days. But so many teams are. It's not just us. That's not why we aren't in a premiership window. I just miss the spirit of competition of being in the hunt. Being right there. It feels like Richmond in the 90's and now we're going through our Richmond in the 2000's phase lol 2030's is our decade to chase a dynasty? Some of you probly hate that statement.

2015 sucked enormously large dogs balls.

The only good part about 2015 came when I was walking down the Terrace the Friday before the prelims and waddling toward me was this middleaged twat wearing his Wiggles jumper and a freshly purchased Hawthorn cap, looking extremely pleased with himself.

I got nice and close and complimented him on his physique.

Well, what I actually said was, “Nice t1ts.”

According to Champion Data – the official supplier of statistics for the AFLFremantle should have won the 2013 decider by a margin of six points.

As numerically minded folk, you would expect the aforementioned company to show their working, and that is just what analyst Glenn Luff did in February of 2014.

“Based on the AFL average across the shots that they had, Freo should have won,'' Luff told The Herald Sun.

“It felt like Hawthorn was in control for most of the game, but you look at the raw numbers and it was all pretty close.

Hawthorn nailed them and Freo didn't.''

After examining the distance and angle at each shot was taken, as well as the perceived pressure each kicker was under, Champion Data concluded that had the Dockers taken their chances, the final scoreboard would have read 14.10 (94) to 12.10 (88) in their favour.

This final scoreline is even starker in the cold light of day when you consider that in reality, Fremantle's half-time total of 12 points was at that stage the lowest score for any side at that stage of a grand final for 53 years.

With Fremantle producing five more shots on goal than Hawthorn – 29 to 24 – Luff and his team placed a sizeable portion of the blame at the feet of Hayden Ballantyne and Nat Fyfe, as the pair combined for just under a quarter of the Dockers' total shots (7), yet only managed a paltry 0.3 between them.

According to Champion Data – the official supplier of statistics for the AFLFremantle should have won the 2013 decider by a margin of six points.

As numerically minded folk, you would expect the aforementioned company to show their working, and that is just what analyst Glenn Luff did in February of 2014.

“Based on the AFL average across the shots that they had, Freo should have won,'' Luff told The Herald Sun.

“It felt like Hawthorn was in control for most of the game, but you look at the raw numbers and it was all pretty close.

After examining the distance and angle at each shot was taken, as well as the perceived pressure each kicker was under, Champion Data concluded that had the Dockers taken their chances, the final scoreboard would have read 14.10 (94) to 12.10 (88) in their favour.

This final scoreline is even starker in the cold light of day when you consider that in reality, Fremantle's half-time total of 12 points was at that stage the lowest score for any side at that stage of a grand final for 53 years.

With Fremantle producing five more shots on goal than Hawthorn – 29 to 24 – Luff and his team placed a sizeable portion of the blame at the feet of Hayden Ballantyne and Nat Fyfe, as the pair combined for just under a quarter of the Dockers' total shots (7), yet only managed a paltry 0.3 between them.
Yeah sucks doesn't it? Did enough to win and butchered it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking chances is not just luck. It’s a skill.
It’s a combination of who has the best technique, routine, mental strength, composure, big occassion temperament and execution.

Unfortunately we weren’t good enough in that area on the day.

It’s a combination of who has the best technique, routine, mental strength, composure, big occassion temperament and execution.

The umpires giving away free kicks and 50m penalties to Hawthorn didn’t help either. On the other foot, two post game suspensions for Hawks resulted in a shot on goal (Cyril goal) and Walters not getting a 50m penalty.

Why are we bringing this up again anyway?

Champion Data concluded that had the Dockers taken their chances, the final scoreboard would have read 14.10 (94) to 12.10 (88) in their favour.

Am I the only one who sees the error here?

Unlike a lot of you who can't bear to watch it back I actually watched it again after the smoke had cleared.

We definitely controlled sections of the first quarter and really should have had 3-4 goals IMO. Who knows how different the rest of the game would have turned out had we not shat the bed early

Got to blame the players, bad kicking is bad football. Fyfe & Ballas were the main culprits
Yes and no. I reckon the phrase "it's just another game" was said too much in the locker rooms during the week and it had an adverse affect on the players' psyche. Pure speculation on my part though.

I think this is one of the factors in which home ground advantage/knowledge played a part for the Hawks and has always bothered me

Look at the way I think it was Hodge shortly after Fyfe, or for that matter any Collingwood players from last weekend, shoot for goal from set shots at the G. Low, hard kicks so the breeze has minimal effect. Compare those to Fyfes roosts that went wide and limited experience at the G favours the home side

Tuks is my buddy LFG!

Vivid flashbacks to Hayden Ballantyne in the fourth quarter just spudding it up in front of goal after the rest of the team had already got their shit together... ****ing hell man

Is this a 10th anniversary memorial?
I put it in the vent thread as i saw the article pop up in google news when i did my daily search on Freo.

Every club has got a what if moment.

I didn't realise that champion data come out back in 2014 and said we actually should have won with the chances we had and the shots on goal/positions we butchered them from.

Looking back game was closer then people think.

If we lost by 5 points instead of 15 points. It probably would hurt even more.

But i was still proud to see Freo at the MCG on GF day.

2015 kills me more then 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back