Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a vent thread. People are allowed to vent in this thread.

IMHO Fyfe is lucky to get two more years as he's done * all the last few seasons. He's old and can't get on the park let alone kick a football.

Shhhh. You can't say a bad word about Fyfe on this board without getting attacked.

It's a vent thread. People are allowed to vent in this thread.

IMHO Fyfe is lucky to get two more years as he's done * all the last few seasons. He's old and can't get on the park let alone kick a football.
That's not venting, that's talking bullshit for the sake of some absurd agenda.

That's not venting, that's talking bullshit for the sake of some absurd agenda.

I'm venting that he gets two years given to him when he isn’t best 22. Have you seen how poorly he kicks? I watched the wafl finals and all the players have better skills than him.

He if fit will take a spot in the team over a young developing player. Mind you he's always injured and his foot injury will remain with him. Seems absurd to me.

I'm venting that he gets two years given to him when he isn’t best 22. Have you seen how poorly he kicks? I watched the wafl finals and all the players have better skills than him.

He if fit will take a spot in the team over a young developing player. Mind you he's always injured and his foot injury will remain with him. Seems absurd to me.
Rewarding a club champion who is doing everything he possibly can to get on the park while also being the best leader we have off field for 2 years is far from a waste to me. Any kid would kill to learn off a generational player in Fyfe. Isn't best 22? In a bottom 5 team? Please.

You sure you watched the same WAFL finals as me?

Rewarding a club champion who is doing everything he possibly can to get on the park while also being the best leader we have off field for 2 years is far from a waste to me. Any kid would kill to learn off a generational player in Fyfe. Isn't best 22? In a bottom 5 team? Please.

Rewarding a club champion. . With what?? He has been Freo’s highest paid player in our history. Salary cap wise and off field wise. That’s his reward.

Freo has done more for Fyfe than the other way around. I don’t see no Premiership in the cupboard.

Fyfe isn’t best 22 anymore but he is getting a decent salary for 2 years because Fyfe for some reason needs more money. Money that could be spent elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rewarding a club champion. . With what?? He has been Freo’s highest paid player in our history. Salary cap wise and off field wise. That’s his reward.

Freo has done more for Fyfe than the other way around. I don’t see no Premiership in the cupboard.

Fyfe isn’t best 22 anymore but he is getting a decent salary for 2 years because Fyfe for some reason needs more money. Money that could be spent elsewhere.

Memory of a bloody goldfish.

The Fremantle Football Club gave up trying to compete for premierships when Fyfe and Walters were both at their peak.

These two -- and any player unfortunate enough to be on the list in 2016 onwards when the Football Department literally stopped effing trying to compete at the top of ladder because it was all too hard to do so without early draft picks to piss up against the wall -- owe Fremantle nothing.

I’m fine that Fyfe got two more. He deserves it for his long service. Just have my doubts he’s adjusting to what his body needs. He barely played this year, I reckon he should be down in Cockburn day 1 or early setting the example.

I’m fine that Fyfe got two more. He deserves it for his long service. Just have my doubts he’s adjusting to what his body needs. He barely played this year, I reckon he should be down in Cockburn day 1 or early setting the example.
His body is battered.

How would doing more physical work actually help him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His body is battered.

How would doing more physical work actually help him
His best position would be as the sub if he played midfield. Guys who have
physically dominated the game, the end comes very quickly.
His game is contested Bull so I don’t think it’s going to change now.
Unless his running game, style is worked on and that would require him
to actually slim down.
Unfortunately he is not Mundy like, with the ability to evade and find space.
Could be that pinch hit defender that is missing on the list and trialed at Peel.

He can't kick

I normally find myself agreeing with you but this is one of those times I can't. He's a great trainer, a great mentor and absolutely someone you want around the club. But he's broken, has been since 2020. He will never, ever, ever, be a full game best 22 player again (a HARD emphasis on the full game part of that sentence). That's just a sad fact at this point. His use is to pinch hit in the middle to swing the balance of the game at critical times and to sit on the pine because even his forward craft is borderline best 22 at this point. We become very unbalance whenever we try to shoehorn Fyfe into our permanent forward and midfield structures and I'm pretty confident that was a big factor in our slow start to 2023 with a big emphasis placed on making Fyfe a KPF. These (minus the speculation on the 2023 slow start) are known facts at this point.

Where I'll circle back around for a more nuanced taked on it however is that I genuinely believe he may have been extended to transition into an off-field coaching and mentoring role. I believe there is an enormous, untapped and somewhat revolutionary potential for him to learn an active coaching role whilst starting as a sub essentially having him coaching benched players about what's going on on-field, relaying and further interpreting/extrapolating on coaches instructions and working hard on developing young players in-game in hopes of expediting their development whilst being able to come on for 25-33% of a game as a sub or 60-75% of a game before being subbed and change the game for us.

I think Fyfe is one of the few players in the entire league both intelligent enough and impactful enough as a player to actually do this and is, quite honestly, the perfect way to honour him as a club champion as well as transition into coaching and mentoring. Being used like this, I think Fyfe is absolutely going to be a part of our 22/23 for the next 2 years.

Last edited:
I bet the same people complaining Fyfe got a two year deal would also be the same ones who would crucify him if he left for another club for being disloyal lol

Fyfe may not be the player he once was but I saw glimpses this year albeit in patches where he was the midfield bull we need. He single handedly willed the ball forward from the middle.

If he gets his body right, trains off season only as predominantly midfield he will learn the nuances of playing in the midfield today and build the synergy with the other mids.

I bet the same people complaining Fyfe got a two year deal would also be the same ones who would crucify him if he left for another club for being disloyal lol

Fyfe may not be the player he once was but I saw glimpses this year albeit in patches where he was the midfield bull we need. He single handedly willed the ball forward from the middle.

If he gets his body right, trains off season only as predominantly midfield he will learn the nuances of playing in the midfield today and build the synergy with the other mids.
My only point of contention here is that I genuinely don't think it's actually possibly for him to get his body right anymore. But I think even that can be worked around as long as all parties are aware of this and tailor a rehabilitation around this rather than trying to get him up for every game.

Think Alistair Lynch in his final years: Couldn't get on a plane more than 2-3 times a season outside of September but it maximised his output when it counted.

We become very unbalance whenever we try to shoehorn Fyfe into our permanent forward and midfield structures and I'm pretty confident that was a big factor in our slow start to 2023 with a big emphasis placed on making Fyfe a KPF.
He only played one game as a permanent forward. We lost that game, yes, and Fyfe was not great, but it also came out afterwards that he was playing with a plantar fasciitis issue. If he was "a big factor in our slow start to 2023", it's only in the way that the loss of any key player throws plans into disarray, forces changing of personnel and/or shuffling of positions, etc. There is no grounds at all to attribute our slow starts specifically to trying to play Fyfe (specifically) as a permanent forward (specifically).

I know you said you were speculating, but there's a difference between speculation and narrative fiction.

He only played one game as a permanent forward. We lost that game, yes, and Fyfe was not great, but it also came out afterwards that he was playing with a plantar fasciitis issue. If he was "a big factor in our slow start to 2023", it's only in the way that the loss of any key player throws plans into disarray, forces changing of personnel and/or shuffling of positions, etc. There is no grounds at all to attribute our slow starts specifically to trying to play Fyfe (specifically) as a permanent forward (specifically).

I know you said you were speculating, but there's a difference between speculation and narrative fiction.
I think you're glossing over the pre-season effort (and subsequent talk) that centred heavily around Fyfe as a forward. The pre-season games definitely had the focus of Fyfe as a focal point. To me this signalled we were setting up around him (as a key player the went down as you say) and when he went down we hadn't spent enough time with Amiss, Treacy and Jackson as the focal points to the point where it took us until mid-season to look like we functioned there.

For reference I'm not talking about our slow starts in all matches, I was referring to our slow start to the season. My speculation was referring to the effort spent focusing a forwardline around him to the point that when he went down we were horribly unsynchronised and took us a while to adjust. I also think it wasn't a good performance at all and looked unbalanced.

My speculation was referring to the effort spent focusing a forwardline around him to the point that when he went down we were horribly unsynchronised and took us a while to adjust.
The pre-season games had Fyfe as a focus, yes. There was also evidence to suggest from those games that it was working, or at least well on its way to working:

Optimistic? OTT? maybe, maybe not.

The point is that Fyfe got injured during (in reality, probably before) the first game of the season, which forced a reshuffle, etc., leaving everyone horribly unsynchronised, etc. How would this reshuffling not have been required if it had have been, say, Tabs who got injured?

You could maybe — maybe — make the case that there's more history of the other forwards working together without Fyfe, so that Fyfe coming in threw that out of whack. But if that's the case, and Fyfe specifically being forward was the problem, then the problem should have gone away from Round 2 onwards, as all these forwards got back to working with and as a group they were more familiar with (notwithstanding the fact that Amiss and even Treacy were virtually new to the group themselves).

Note: none of this has anything to do with whether you or I believe that Fyfe is/isn't capable of impacting as a forward. The fact of the matter is that he did not play as a forward in 2023, barring the first game, after which it was revealed that he shouldn't have been playing at all. Any claim that his playing forward was a big factor in our slow start to the season is baseless, irrespective of whether or not he actually is a viable option as a forward.

The pre-season games had Fyfe as a focus, yes. There was also evidence to suggest from those games that it was working, or at least well on its way to working:

Optimistic? OTT? maybe, maybe not.

The point is that Fyfe got injured during (in reality, probably before) the first game of the season, which forced a reshuffle, etc., leaving everyone horribly unsynchronised, etc. How would this reshuffling not have been required if it had have been, say, Tabs who got injured?

You could maybe — maybe — make the case that there's more history of the other forwards working together without Fyfe, so that Fyfe coming in threw that out of whack. But if that's the case, and Fyfe specifically being forward was the problem, then the problem should have gone away from Round 2 onwards, as all these forwards got back to working with and as a group they were more familiar with (notwithstanding the fact that Amiss and even Treacy were virtually new to the group themselves).

Note: none of this has anything to do with whether you or I believe that Fyfe is/isn't capable of impacting as a forward. The fact of the matter is that he did not play as a forward in 2023, barring the first game, after which it was revealed that he shouldn't have been playing at all. Any claim that his playing forward was a big factor in our slow start to the season is baseless, irrespective of whether or not he actually is a viable option as a forward.
Some fair points in there. I'd argue it was pretty shaky whilst tentatively working in those pre-season games but there was something to work with. I'd definitely argue your take is very optimistic and myopic.

If it was planned for a long term position change you could probably make that argument but with Treacy and Amiss having to miss games to fit Fyfe in suggests that it probably never would've been able to 'click back together' from round 2 onwards. Adding in Jackson to that mix meant that it really did need to stabilise around a core mix and take the time to develop. Making Fyfe part of that suggested he was going to be a long term option as a key position target rather than a third tall/tall playing small option which was always risky. I'll refrain from saying wrong altogether because if (and again, huge if) his body held up it may have worked but it was always more likely to not work than work and he was always likely to be a short term rather than long term option there.

My point remains that the wiser option was always to pump time into gelling the long term Amiss and Treacy options with Jackson (and Fyfe) floating through as roaming talls rather than to try and build it around Fyfe and try squeeze the rest in around him. Amiss not being selected in Round 1 was a testament to this. Once Amiss became the focal point it felt that we were at least progressing and each week it slowly came together. Once Amiss and Treacy were given time to work together we looked promising.

It's speculative to suggest part of the reason for our slow start was the Fyfe experiment for sure. But it is far, far from baseless.

As if you would know what is best. He doesn't need to be 'at training' in order to be working on his physical conditioning. He knows how to football. Keep digging though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back