Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

As if you would know what is best. He doesn't need to be 'at training' in order to be working on his physical conditioning. He knows how to football. Keep digging though.
Yeah I think between Fyfe and strength and conditioning department they'll know how to come up with a plan to keep him on the park more often than not or at least as long as is needed.

Not sure what Fyfe enjoying his off-season down time has to do with any of that. The man's a pro: He knows what to do. I'd be more worried about him overrtraining and trying way too hard to get to his best like he has in the past.

3rd brownlow time

Fyfe can’t win a Brownlow without 2 teammates sacrificing their game for him. Lyon has no problems with foot soldiers protecting his star players. It’s not happening under Longmuir.

The game has changed. Fyfe can’t play accountable football in the middle and he can’t kick as a forward. There is no position for him on the team.

I bet the same people complaining Fyfe got a two year deal would also be the same ones who would crucify him if he left for another club for being disloyal lol

Fyfe may not be the player he once was but I saw glimpses this year albeit in patches where he was the midfield bull we need. He single handedly willed the ball forward from the middle.

If he gets his body right, trains off season only as predominantly midfield he will learn the nuances of playing in the midfield today and build the synergy with the other mids.

Nah I'd be fine with it.

I normally find myself agreeing with you but this is one of those times I can't. He's a great trainer, a great mentor and absolutely someone you want around the club. But he's broken, has been since 2020. He will never, ever, ever, be a full game best 22 player again (a HARD emphasis on the full game part of that sentence). That's just a sad fact at this point. His use is to pinch hit in the middle to swing the balance of the game at critical times and to sit on the pine because even his forward craft is borderline best 22 at this point. We become very unbalance whenever we try to shoehorn Fyfe into our permanent forward and midfield structures and I'm pretty confident that was a big factor in our slow start to 2023 with a big emphasis placed on making Fyfe a KPF. These (minus the speculation on the 2023 slow start) are known facts at this point.

Where I'll circle back around for a more nuanced taked on it however is that I genuinely believe he may have been extended to transition into an off-field coaching and mentoring role. I believe there is an enormous, untapped and somewhat revolutionary potential for him to learn an active coaching role whilst starting as a sub essentially having him coaching benched players about what's going on on-field, relaying and further interpreting/extrapolating on coaches instructions and working hard on developing young players in-game in hopes of expediting their development whilst being able to come on for 25-33% of a game as a sub or 60-75% of a game before being subbed and change the game for us.

I think Fyfe is one of the few players in the entire league both intelligent enough and impactful enough as a player to actually do this and is, quite honestly, the perfect way to honour him as a club champion as well as transition into coaching and mentoring. Being used like this, I think Fyfe is absolutely going to be a part of our 22/23 for the next 2 years.
We're basically arguing the same point here. I agree with you. My point is that 2 years on the list wasn't a wasted spot given his impact on the rest of the list both on and off the field.

I think of him like a bard in D&D now, where he exists to buff everyone else.

Hell, I'd have him on the list for 5 years if it meant that one day in September, he came on in the last quarter as the sub and was the difference in a 1 point premiership win.

We're basically arguing the same point here. I agree with you. My point is that 2 years on the list wasn't a wasted spot given his impact on the rest of the list both on and off the field.

Hell, I'd have him on the list for 5 years if it meant that one day in September, he came on in the last quarter as the sub and was the difference in a 1 point premiership win.
Outside of Hyperbole, I'd agree. I think he'll probably fall in quality by the end of the second year however and quietly get the tap on the shoulder. But by then his impact will have been truly felt and he'll be ready for a development coaching role and able to transition out anyway.

It's kind of the perfect arrangement to keep a club legend heavily involved and keeping a strong legacy at the club and Fyfe's one of few who could ever make it work.

200w.gif

I just think he relies too much on brute strength. He hasn't got the footy smarts and skills of d. Barra. Mundy
I mean in context of performance not playing style. Just a near full season of injury free midfield time, regardless of how he goes about it, and oh I should be venting, shouldn't I?.... (looks at thread title )
Soz. On with the show!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tango Bard GIF by zoefannet

Ttrpg Zombieorpheus GIF by zoefannet

I’m fine that Fyfe got two more. He deserves it for his long service. Just have my doubts he’s adjusting to what his body needs. He barely played this year, I reckon he should be down in Cockburn day 1 or early setting the example.
you have no idea what hes doing to prepare, you also have no idea in general what it takes to prepare at an elite level so its bizarre seeing you have a crack at a bloke whos done it for over a decade and has elite coaches and staff helping him along the way

where do you get this heightened sense of self confidence?

Yeah,but we'll have a great draft hand and after a rebuild we'll be looking to be premiers in 5 years time.

It certainly feels like this doesn't it...

For the first time I have a group of mates all over 34 (34-42) and out of the 10, the 8 with memberships aren't renewing. All have been 12 + year members.

The couple who weren't members are talking about not watching the footy.

I never thought I would hear any of this talk from them. What is disappointing is I have no good argument to bring them round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back