VFL VFL v Essendon - Sunday April 23rd @ Vic Park. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carmichael has played himself into AFL contention today. He has played a great game and is far more prominent than Allan. Murley has also been creative and effective in the second half.
I didnā€™t like his first half at all. Very scrappy and looking to scrub kick from clearances rather than handball. He was good in the second half when he hand balled more in congestion.

The effort was sensational. That impresses me more than class. The boys played with passion and incredible will with so much going against them.

Never underestimate the Victoria Park factor. The spirit was with our boys. Always worth a few goals.šŸ˜

Umpires once again the big winners.
Yep some terrible decision including the two 50's in first half.

I watched an under 18.5 team yesterday, two umpires only that did a great job and not because of the team I was supporting as they got thrashed.

Josh Carmichael. In. It's promising to see both him and Fin performing well. Could potentially be the next midfield duo.

Meanwhile, Harrison is going to need to do a bit in the next few matches. He's moved up the rankings to be delisted.
I doubt they delist a kid who showed enough talent to be was an AFL emergency after only a handful of VFL games - to then be floored by COVID and hamstring injuries.
Heā€™ll be given time.

I doubt they delist a kid who showed enough talent to be was an AFL emergency after only a handful of VFL games - to then be floored by COVID and hamstring injuries.
Heā€™ll be given time.
Once he has confidence back in himsself, think they'll get some midfield minutes into him like last year before his injuries. But what he can do around stoppage just shows what he can do.

I didnā€™t like his first half at all. Very scrappy and looking to scrub kick from clearances rather than handball. He was good in the second half when he hand balled more in congestion.
Agree Scrub kicks are his ongoing issue - I canā€™t see how he cements a senior spot without eliminating that costly part of his game. Unless as you point out he only uses handball in congestion.

But was very good otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yr a tough taskmaster. The scrub kicks Iā€™d hazard a guess were a (well thought out) deliberate coaching decision, I assume, to move the ball forward at all costs for dirty entries into f50. Itā€™s the perfect gameplan when undersized and oppo talls are picking off any and all bombed kicks i50, which they were. That was a complete game from JC. BOG by a country mile.

And yeah I know he has history with scrub kicks that are sometimes to our detriment. But our gameplan is about territory not targets. I feel his scrub kicks had more meaning today.

Credit where credit is due.

Yeah, he was scratchy early, but really good in the 2nd half.
His handballing in heavy traffic was a treat, and he's got real depth in that right foot when clear.

How did Ed Allan go?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Heā€™s elite. Just biding his time at this point. Looks a level above.

Slightly quieter by his standards but set up several important plays, including some cracking 1-2s through the guts.

Couldnā€™t have nailed that pick any better.

Slightly quieter by his standards but set up several important plays, including some cracking 1-2s through the guts.

Very exciting prospect. Hope he debuts at the G, want to be there.

Yr a tough taskmaster. The scrub kicks Iā€™d hazard a guess were a (well thought out) deliberate coaching decision, I assume, to move the ball forward at all costs for dirty entries into f50. Itā€™s the perfect gameplan when undersized and oppo talls are picking off any and all bombed kicks i50, which they were. That was a complete game from JC. BOG by a country mile.

And yeah I know he has history with scrub kicks that are sometimes to our detriment. But our gameplan is about territory not targets. I feel his scrub kicks had more meaning today.

Nah - JC hasnā€™t had a decent kick out of a stoppage for a long time. If it was a deliberate tactic heā€™d have played more senior games. Itā€™s an issue - but handballs instead of scrub kicks would give him more impact out of stoppage, and adding his other strengths would make him close to best 22.

Great post Merciless. Your take on the game is spot on for me.

Nah thatā€™s an excuse if ever I heard one. There were plenty of times he had possession of the ball under pressure and opted to kick while being tackled rather than a quick fire handball out, particularly in the first half.
Iā€™m almost certain Fraser had a word to him about it at half time because he noticeably went by hand more in the second half.

Canā€™t wait for Allan to debut in the seniors. I think heā€™ll ultimately replace Sidebottom on a wing in 2024.

Weā€™re going to have Seniors selection headaches in 2nd half of this season with Allan pushing for a debut plus Lipinski, Cameron and Howe pushing to be recalled. Just got to somehow get through the next 6-8 weeks without dropping more than 2-3 games.

Canā€™t wait for Allan to debut in the seniors. I think heā€™ll ultimately replace Sidebottom on a as wing in 2024.

Weā€™re going to have Seniors selection headaches in 2nd half of this season with Allan pushing for a debut plus Lipinski, Cameron and Howe pushing to be recalled. Just got to somehow get through the next 6-8 weeks without dropping more than 2-3 games.

Imagine if we keep winningā€¦

1682232389398.jpeg

A dominant final quarter has helped Collingwood secure a come-from-behind eight-point win against Essendon on Sunday.

The Magpies trailed by 11 points at the final break ā€“ and by as much as 27 points late in the third term ā€“ but romped home to record the win.
A number of the Pies' senior-listed players were impressive in the victory, including Josh Carmichael who finished with three goals, 29 disposals, six clearances and four marks.

Ed Allan collected 18 disposals to go with his seven tackles and five marks, young forward Reef McInnes booted three goals while ruckman Oscar Steene had 14 hitouts and five tackles.

Tom Wilson (30 disposals, five tackles), Trent Bianco (16 and five) and Cooper Murley (two goals, six tackles) were also strong.

Think AFL writers got confused with the Tom Wilsons

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL v Essendon - Sunday April 23rd @ Vic Park. 12pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back