Moved Thread VFL v NEAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowsers, you think the NEAFL has made everyone playing in a Swans Reserves Guernsey a better prepared player? I'd like to ask...'are you a ******* idiot?', but I'm not allowed to as it's against site rules, so I won't! I'll tell you why they're ready...because they were ******* drafted due to their ability developed in Junior leagues and academies across the country, which surprisingly came from their natural footballing ability and the subsequent professional training program at the Swans! To suggest that they're better because they play that amateur bush league is absolutely delusional and outrageous! They're ******* witches hats!

I still come back to the strength of the NEAFL compared to other leagues is currently utterly irrelevant

Maybe it is the actual weakness of the NEAFL league that allows sydney to develop and coach the players in an exact way that they want.

They can set their own game plan and match agenda and have our players concentrate on specifics

The NEAFL is weak as piss and I am not even from Vic. The reason it doesn't really effect our youth development is because academies, great development staff and facilities. But if we had a VFL level competition it would no doubt excel the club's development to another level. Hopefully the NEAFL can eventually match the VFL.

Wowsers, you think the NEAFL has made everyone playing in a Swans Reserves Guernsey a better prepared player? I'd like to ask...'are you a ******* idiot?', but I'm not allowed to as it's against site rules, so I won't! I'll tell you why they're ready...because they were ******* drafted due to their ability developed in Junior leagues and academies across the country, which surprisingly came from their natural footballing ability and the subsequent professional training program at the Swans! To suggest that they're better because they play that amateur bush league is absolutely delusional and outrageous! They're ******* witches hats!

So you want to suggest the league is crap but the swans coaching and development is what's beneficial yet that coaching is imparted via neafl involvement. Circular reasoning.. You can't do that because the training is part of what's imparted forming part of our participation in neafl. Absolutely our coaching is the difference.

You just did call me a f****** idiot. ....not that it concerns me because until I see valid reasoning apart from a lot of hot air there is nothing to convince me that my conclusions are erroneous. Rather it confirms that more likely there is a passionate emotive connection/ bias toward VFL motivating the stand. Sorry

I'm too old to jog any more bedders - pass I'm afraid

So should I believe then that the competition achieves nothing and the plethora of good players coming through arises solely from the training paddock activities.? That's your argument? Can't see it I'm afraid.

I still come back to the strength of the NEAFL compared to other leagues is currently utterly irrelevant

Maybe it is the actual weakness of the NEAFL league that allows sydney to develop and coach the players in an exact way that they want.

They can set their own game plan and match agenda and have our players concentrate on specifics

Now this argument makes some sense and may explain the difference between evidence (the clear ability of players coming through) and the apparent consensus that neafl is crap

When my son brings home my car with a huge dent in the front a smashed grill and leaky radiator it's a fair conclusion he's had a car accident. I don't need to watch VFL to see the evidence of what the neafl is capable of producing. I see what is in our team and where they came from. Enough for me
That was Superman that hit your son's car.

So it seems that all the melbourne centric members of our board think the neafl is crap and VFL reigns supreme.

Where exactly do you think our current swans afl team comes from????? 2/3rds are debutants in the last few years. If we have one of the youngest and skilful lists and it's universally accepted we have then they learnt their craft in the neafl. And if they learnt their craft in the neafl when the other VFL teams weren't able to produce the same quality list then exactly what does that say about respective abilities? Indeed we have been the most successful team of the last 14 years (in terms if finals appearances) and mostly spawned from the shithouse comp that is neafl.

If it looks likes s*** smells like s*** then I'm damn sure I'm not going to taste it to confirm. The evidence fails to support the argument that neafl is poor. Plain and simple and I fail to believe it. I am pursuaded by evidence......and the evidence speaks.
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/d05f60a11c2d11711f307b911098c337

Hmm 17 points against Tasmania. Smashed them! Unfortunately, us over here in WA don't get to hear many results other than we beat Victoria!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/w...-win-over-victoria-in-melbourne-ng-b88489364z

I don't think the NEAFL is that good sorry. But hey I could be wrong

Who wants to see state rep football back in a big way? I know I do. Would love the State of Origin back but can't see that happening. State rep would be a good alternative just for bragging rights :)

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/d05f60a11c2d11711f307b911098c337

Hmm 17 points against Tasmania. Smashed them! Unfortunately, us over here in WA don't get to hear many results other than we beat Victoria!

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/w...-win-over-victoria-in-melbourne-ng-b88489364z

I don't think the NEAFL is that good sorry. But hey I could be wrong

Who wants to see state rep football back in a big way? I know I do. Would love the State of Origin back but can't see that happening. State rep would be a good alternative just for bragging rights :)

Ok that's fine and I accept that a lot of well informed people concur. Then there needs to be an explanation as to why so many high quality afl standard players comes from swans reserves in the neafl when the neafl is crap. It doesn't add up for me

So you want to suggest the league is crap but the swans coaching and development is what's beneficial yet that coaching is imparted via neafl involvement. Circular reasoning.. You can't do that because the training is part of what's imparted forming part of our participation in neafl. Absolutely our coaching is the difference.

You just did call me a f****** idiot. ....not that it concerns me because until I see valid reasoning apart from a lot of hot air there is nothing to convince me that my conclusions are erroneous. Rather it confirms that more likely there is a passionate emotive connection/ bias toward VFL motivating the stand. Sorry

I'm too old to jog any more bedders - pass I'm afraid

So should I believe then that the competition achieves nothing and the plethora of good players coming through arises solely from the training paddock activities.? That's your argument? Can't see it I'm afraid.
We have to make a divide between the Swans reserves and the NEAFL. The swans are so good, not because of the competition that they play in, but because the whole team is sourced from around the country. The globe even. Our scouts are out there trying to find the best players available. That's why the Swans reserves are so strong, not because they play in the NEAFL. A NEAFL rep side would fail against most other state rep sides

The swans are not the neafl. They are lucky enough to be accepted to play in the NEAFL and their existence in the NEALF can only be a good thing for the NEAFL I think.

It's a bloody boring argument.

VFL is probably across the board a better standard than NEAFL. Swans Reserves are probably as good if not better than most of the VFL sides. The Swans are not going to rejoin the VFL. The Swans shouldn't rejoin the VFL 1. Because our development of players through the NEAFL is demonstrably as successful as any development program in the AFL and 2. because the NEAFL along with the Academies are necessary for the growth of Australian Football in the frontier states.

I propose the Mods set up a room for Bedders and Wolftone to have it out somewhere in a padded room in the Bob Skilton bar.

I agree entirely. It's a tired debate which we've had on this board every year since our reserves started playing in the NEAFL.

Something positive for me to write about you in my dossier ;)

Ok that's fine and I accept that a lot of well informed people concur. Then there needs to be an explanation as to why so many high quality afl standard players comes from swans reserves in the neafl when the neafl is crap. It doesn't add up for me
I'm glad we've had this discussion. It's made me realise that it is better to explain a situation than simply insult someone. But whatever you do, don't let the people that try to put you down, put you down. I hope my previous post answers some of the questions to the above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad we've had this discussion. It's made me realise that it is better to explain a situation than simply insult someone. But whatever you do, don't let the people that try to put you down, put you down. I hope my previous post answers some of the questions to the above.

Omg I'm very thick skinned. lol A bit of harmless banter doesn't upset me. Thank you for the sentiment though. Appreciated. I'm a very logical and analytical person and if something doesn't add up I question it. Someone just telling me over and over the neafl is crap doesn't explain and therefore won't convince me. You have given me a reasonable explanation as to why.....one I can understand. I remain a bit baffled as to how participation of a strong team (us) in a weak competition can still create better conversion of reserves to afl but it does- is a track record.

We have to make a divide between the Swans reserves and the NEAFL. The swans are so good, not because of the competition that they play in, but because the whole team is sourced from around the country. The globe even. Our scouts are out there trying to find the best players available. That's why the Swans reserves are so strong, not because they play in the NEAFL. A NEAFL rep side would fail against most other state rep sides

The swans are not the neafl. They are lucky enough to be accepted to play in the NEAFL and their existence in the NEALF can only be a good thing for the NEAFL I think.

How would you explain that the swans have never won a neafl premiership?

The best players available, and nothing to show for it? Although you could argue that winning the neafl premiership is the last thing on the neafl coaching teams mind.

How would you explain that the swans have never won a neafl premiership?

The best players available, and nothing to show for it? Although you could argue that winning the neafl premiership is the last thing on the neafl coaching teams mind.

Seem to recall that when neafl hits finals we are allowed only so many who have played in afl. We need to use top ups from development sides. Accordingly we lose.

Seem to recall that when neafl hits finals we are allowed only so many who have played in afl. We need to use top ups from development sides. Accordingly we lose.
There is no restrictions if the player is on the neafl list

*walks in... looks around... walks out*
zGHQb4O.gif

Not sure how I found myself on to this page sorry, and to be honest, I don't really care for the argument either way, but thought I'd add this link to the 'FOXTEL Cup' which was played for a few years between sides from each state league.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Foxtel_Cup

Over the years, only one side from the NEAFL made it beyond the second round (Morningside in 2012).

The other thing I'd look at, but cannot be bothered with) would be the number of mature age players drafted out of the respectice state leagues, as I think this would give an indication of talent outside of the AFL listed players too.

VFL easily a better standard as a league.

Swans could possibly be the best team in the VFL but the NEAFL has no depth at all, which is to be expected.

That being said the PMFC vs Williamstown game today was horrendous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back