Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, as has been explained eleventy gazillion times there's reasons for the 'centric' or 'bias'.

The 'discussion' seems to be to prove whether or not the centric or bias is underpinned by intention because of dislike or hate of non vic.

It isn't, below is a better descriptor of where the discussion really lies.

Non Vic 'vics have more market and the landscape is skewed that way' < And that is correct, So what? What alternative should be expected?
Meh, if you already know what is to be true and correct why participate in the conversation 😜
We are signing from the same hymn sheet, I'm in alignment with the descriptor of where the discussion really lies. All I was doing was providing commentary that confirms those views to a thread that was asking the question/views, and you asked what my point of my was.
The entire purpose of this thread was to go fishing, and you and I are some of the many across 263 pages that took some of the bait

There is no actual desire from the #VICBIAS crew to come up with solutions. They are happy feeling like victims and complaining about it.
For sh*ts and Giggles, Bard AI Came up with the following article Robbo would write IF he was asked to write an article 🤣🤣🤣

Mark Robinson: How to solve real or perceived Victorian bias in the AFL

The AFL has long been accused of having a Victorian bias. Some people believe that the league favours Victorian teams in terms of scheduling, umpiring, and even media coverage. Others believe that this perception is overblown and that the AFL is actually quite fair to all teams, regardless of their state.
Whether or not the Victorian bias is real, there are a number of things that the AFL can do to address the issue. Here are a few suggestions:
  • Review the scheduling formula. The AFL's current scheduling formula is complex and opaque, but it is generally understood to favour Victorian teams. For example, Victorian teams tend to play more home games and fewer away games than interstate teams. The AFL could review its scheduling formula to make it more fair and equitable for all teams.
  • Increase transparency around umpiring decisions. The AFL has made some progress in recent years in terms of transparency around umpiring decisions, but there is still more that can be done. For example, the AFL could release more detailed explanations of umpiring decisions, and it could also allow coaches to challenge umpiring decisions during games.
  • Improve media coverage of interstate teams. The AFL's media coverage is heavily focused on Victorian teams. This is understandable to a certain extent, given that Victoria is the AFL's biggest market. However, the AFL could do more to promote interstate teams and give them a fair share of media coverage.
In addition to these specific measures, the AFL also needs to make a concerted effort to change the perception that it is a Victorian-biased league. This could be done by promoting the league's national identity and by highlighting the achievements of interstate teams.
Here are some additional suggestions:
  • Increase investment in interstate markets. The AFL could invest more money in interstate markets, such as by funding new facilities and expanding its development programs. This would help to grow the game in these states and make them more competitive.
  • Appoint more interstate representatives to AFL decision-making bodies. The AFL's current decision-making bodies are heavily weighted towards Victoria. The AFL could appoint more interstate representatives to these bodies to ensure that all states have a voice in the decision-making process.
  • Promote diversity and inclusion within the AFL. The AFL needs to be more inclusive of people from all backgrounds, including interstate players, coaches, and administrators. This would help to create a more diverse and inclusive culture within the league and would send a message that the AFL values all of its members.
It is important to note that there is no easy solution to the issue of Victorian bias in the AFL. It is a complex issue that has been around for many years. However, by taking the steps outlined above, the AFL can start to address the issue and create a more fair and equitable competition.

Meh, if you already know what is to be true and correct why participate in the conversation 😜
To educate you and everyone else.
All I was doing was providing commentary that confirms those views to a thread that was asking the question/views, and you asked what my point of my was.
Didn't say you can't or couldn't, I'm just responding the reasons, which you already knew, so everyone else can see them.
The entire purpose of this thread was to go fishing,
There's several threads on the same topic for the same purpose. The question is why.

And clearly it's not just about the purpose of trolling, there is genuine hand wringing from non vic fans. And after ad nauseam explanations as to why things are the way they are the cloud yelling remains.

Yes I know you already knew that, I'm pointing it out so everyone can read it.

To educate you and everyone else.

Didn't say you can't or couldn't, I'm just responding the reasons, which you already knew, so everyone else can see them.

There's several threads on the same topic for the same purpose. The question is why.

And clearly it's not just about the purpose of trolling, there is genuine hand wringing from non vic fans. And after ad nauseam explanations as to why things are the way they are the cloud yelling remains.

Yes I know you already knew that, I'm pointing it out so everyone can read it.
Thank you for being so selfless with your sharing of knowledge, I know I and others appreciate it greatly.

The genuine hand wringing will never stop as their is a big brother complex.
WA People are bought up to dislike the Eastern States. It is a never ending circle nurtured by parents onto children, and assisted by the local media
Victorians (predominantly Melbourne) have a chip on their shoulders about Sydney (i.e. the Mexicans), Sydney couldn't care less and the vast majority talk highly about Melbourne.

The ad nauseam explanations as to why things are the way they are will not stop the cloud yelling, so what is the solution. Their isn't one other then accept it, and not engage, because you can't change someone's mind who doesn't want to open it

There is no actual desire from the #VICBIAS crew to come up with solutions. They are happy feeling like victims and complaining about it.

These are all no brainers in my opinion.

Equal marquee games each, including Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.
Equal National broadcast games.

Even up father son for newer clubs through priority access to local players.

Agree to never extend the grand final deal at the MCG, extend it should go to the top team that year.

Give WA and SA clubs priority access to some local players to even up percentage of home grown talent on list.

Change AFL job policy, so that all jobs can be done in any of the main capital cities. This will ensure they get a more balanced opinion.

Public apology for giving the Vic clubs the NGA 12 months before SA and WA sides.

I think he is just scared to play in front of big crowds.
if that was the case, there were many options...

And disrepect to the following clubs: Gold Coast, GWS, Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Hawthorn (If he wanted to play a few home games in a smaller tassie home ground), Port Adelaide from 2008-12 when they were struggling too and demons in 2012-3.

Also if you wanna get technical, he could of played for any side in 2020 or 2021 when corona virus stuffed up the season and we had empty stadiums. lol

We are signing from the same hymn sheet, I'm in alignment with the descriptor of where the discussion really lies. All I was doing was providing commentary that confirms those views to a thread that was asking the question/views, and you asked what my point of my was.
The entire purpose of this thread was to go fishing, and you and I are some of the many across 263 pages that took some of the bait
The whole thread is just odd. In terms of the AFL rules, the GF venue undoubtedly favours the MCG tenants if they're good enough to make the Granny. The recruiting rules undoubtedly favour the Northern Academies. Probably a disadvantage in terms of F/S for Western state clubs, but the AFL did try to create an artificial equaliser for the Western state clubs.

Pretty much everything else is: it's not fair; my state is less populated. It's not fair; my state likes rugby.

Equal marquee games each, including Thursday, Friday and Saturday night.
Equal National broadcast games.

Even up father son for newer clubs through priority access to local players.

Agree to never extend the grand final deal at the MCG, extend it should go to the top team that year.

Give WA and SA clubs priority access to some local players to even up percentage of home grown talent on list.

Change AFL job policy, so that all jobs can be done in any of the main capital cities. This will ensure they get a more balanced opinion.

Public apology for giving the Vic clubs the NGA 12 months before SA and WA sides.

Add a 10% deal to all interstate players. So if a player is drafted to a state they are not from they get an additional 10% on their contract for the entire time they stay at that club. However the moment they move clubs they lose that 10% bonus.

Also tighten up 3rd party deals as I don't believe for one second that clubs are not taking advantage of that by doing things like offering their players cheaper houses/cars etc to get around the salary cap.

I am still convinced if the Crows scoring debacle happened to a big Victorian side, they would have reversed the result.

At time were just an indigenous sport run by a club bunch of second rate Melbourne administrators and personalities with little regard for fairness and integrity.

The topic of this thread is "VICBIAS - Genuine Discussion"
My point if I have to educate you, is that the language used by Andrew Dillon in this circumstance gives further voice to the "VICBias" conversation.
Appreciate you asking though......

Maybe I’m missing the argument here, but this year the National Draft is held in Melbourne. So Dillon suggested the local players bring their friends along given that are now allowing each potential draftee to bring along 15 or so people. Why are his comments an issue? The draft has been held interstate the prior 2 years. If Gil decided to also allow potential draftees to bring 15-20 people each, don’t you think he would also encourage those kids to do the same? Afterall, the AFL is obviously attempting to create a real buzz around the event.

Equal marquee games each, including Thursday, Friday and Saturday night - will never happen but agree more marquee games should involve non Vic sides.

Equal National broadcast games All games are televised. Get Kayo.

Even up father son for newer clubs through priority access to local players GC and GWS have academies for that. The other clubs have been around for nearly 30 years.

Agree to never extend the grand final deal at the MCG, extend it should go to the top team that year. Yep

Give WA and SA clubs priority access to some local players to even up percentage of home grown talent on list. No. Why should WA and SA get special concessions? Because they are not Victorian?

Change AFL job policy, so that all jobs can be done in any of the main capital cities. This will ensure they get a more balanced opinion. Sure but the chairman of the AFL is from WA, the CEO is from SA. Makes no difference to the cries of #VICBIAS!

Public apology for giving the Vic clubs the NGA 12 months before SA and WA sides. Words are nothing, nobody cares. NGA should only be for expansion areas anyway IMO.

Comments above,

Add a 10% deal to all interstate players. So if a player is drafted to a state they are not from they get an additional 10% on their contract for the entire time they stay at that club. However the moment they move clubs they lose that 10% bonus.

Also tighten up 3rd party deals as I don't believe for one second that clubs are not taking advantage of that by doing things like offering their players cheaper houses/cars etc to get around the salary cap.

Like this plan.

With 3rd party deals, all clubs do that, regardless of how supporters of some clubs like to pretend otherwise. It is very hard to police though, say I am a Swans coterie (or whatever) member so I see RUNVS our CHF at club functions. I offer RUNVS an 'in' on a property deal.....or I get RUNVS to do some promotion for me at a very high fee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA People are bought up to dislike the Eastern States.
You're probably the first person that has conceded this, kudos. This chip on the shoulder is kinda counterproductive though.
Victorians (predominantly Melbourne) have a chip on their shoulders about Sydney (i.e. the Mexicans), Sydney couldn't care less and the vast majority talk highly about Melbourne.
Having lived in melbs most of my life, and still visit frequently I haven't seen any evidence of this, do you have any?
Their isn't one other then accept it,
Much like non vic fans should probably accept the AFL landscape, but they don't, and when the chip on the shoulder is pointed out it is refuted or ignored.

Instead the hand wringing continues even though not justified.

I am still convinced if the Crows scoring debacle happened to a big Victorian side, they would have reversed the result.

At time were just an indigenous sport run by a club bunch of second rate Melbourne administrators and personalities with little regard for fairness and integrity.
There was a minute and a half left in the game. You couldn't reverse the score without completely screwing a different non-Vic club, at which point people like you claim they wouldn't reverse the score if it was a Vic club getting screwed.

Thank you for being so selfless with your sharing of knowledge, I know I and others appreciate it greatly.

WA People are bought up to dislike the Eastern States. It is a never ending circle nurtured by parents onto children, and assisted by the local media

The ad nauseam explanations as to why things are the way they are will not stop the cloud yelling, so what is the solution. Their isn't one other then accept it, and not engage, because you can't change someone's mind who doesn't want to open it
You just made the Melbourne-Sydney thing up. I worked in Sydney for 8 years and love the city. My closest friends are there and I’d move back in a heartbeat. But, I can tell you it was more about those in Sydney feeling a need to compete with Melbourne. Constantly pointing out why Sydney is better. Melbourne people don’t really care much about it. Still happens today. You only need to look at Peter V’Landys.

Equal marquee games each, including Thursday, Friday and Saturday night - will never happen but agree more marquee games should involve non Vic sides.
Why?

Even up father son for newer clubs through priority access to local players GC and GWS have academies for that. The other clubs have been around for nearly 30 years.

We have had 1. Eagles similar.

Massively favours vic clubs, especially historically.

Give WA and SA clubs priority access to some local players to even up percentage of home grown talent on list. No. Why should WA and SA get special concessions? Because they are not Victorian?

Vic clubs draft 60 percent local talent. We draft 20 percent. It helps vic clubs.

Change AFL job policy, so that all jobs can be done in any of the main capital cities. This will ensure they get a more balanced opinion. Sure but the chairman of the AFL is from WA, the CEO is from SA. Makes no difference to the cries of #VICBIAS!

If it makes no difference, why not do it.

Collingwood got 16
Freo got about 5.

All good then, no issues if it is even.
Yet, most Vics will still have Kayo/Foxtel.

And you’re comparing the biggest club in the game with one of the smallest. Do you think 7 network pay up to show North and Freo games live? I’m sure your club benefits from equalisation at the end of the year.

If you want more games televised free to air, well, you’ll just need to give the 7 network a reason to ask for it. Alternatively, ask the AFL to heavily discount the broadcast rights. Maybe the ABC will take them again.

Why?

We have had 1. Eagles similar.

Massively favours vic clubs, especially historically.

Vic clubs draft 60 percent local talent. We draft 20 percent. It helps vic clubs.

If it makes no difference, why not do it.
Cousins and McIntosh were handy pickups for the Eagles. Probably 2 of the most valuable father-sons a club has had.

Freo has been in the AFL for nearly 30 years now, so why haven’t they seen more? Maybe it’s a club issue in failing to identify and nurtjring them. It doesn’t happen by magic.

Vic clubs may draft 60% local talent (assuming that’s correct), because I’m assuming Victoria has a larger population and so there are more kids playing the game. However, it’s a fight for those among over 50% of the teams in the AFL. Is junior football poor in WA? Maybe the AFL should put more $$ into junior football in WA and SA? But also, the fact is the Eagles have been a successful club and don’t lose players they want. Why do Freo? It’s easy to blame the AFL but the fact is there’s a club with a successful culture in WA that people want to be a part of, and there’s the other.

Fremantle get all 23 on FTA (20 live) in WA.

You won't get an even spread of national games without giving that up.
WA and SA fans have the best ability to watch their team on FTA.

It is laughable they continue to sook about TV when fans of Melbourne based clubs like StKilda or Hawthorn are the ones who are shafted.

Melbourne based newspapers focus on Melbourne teams, Melbourne based radio focus on Melbourne based teams, WA based newspapers and radio focus on WA teams.

National AFL shows spend more time on Vic teams, as Vic teams make up 55% of the competition whilst WA teams are 10%...yet WA fans think they deserve equal coverage.

Wowsers the lot of em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back