Voss It Is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Its good to see that our administration didn't muck around for once. 1 day and got it done hopefully this might be the start of a new trend.

What do we expect with the assistant coaches?

I think there will be a fair bit of continuity but I am expecting some new blood. You would have to think Hudson is gone. He was brought in to help our woeful goal kicking but it has gone backwards if anything. I would be surprised if Leppa left but there might be some other turnover. I am think a full time ruck coach might be handy. Coming back to the club with all the guys he played with will make things difficult even if he wanted to make some changes.

How do you think it will affect the style of game that we will play?

I would expect Vossy to go a little bit more possession oriented but not to the extent that other teams have. I still see him trying to have a direct team.

What should the players expect in the offseason?

Given their performance this year I would be expecting an absolute flogging. I think they went softly softly last offseason to try and keep the injuries away but all that resulted in was us running out of steam game after game. I am hoping he comes in and says last year wasn't good enough and I am going to run you into the ground and anyone who can't stand the heat should get out of the kitchen and enjoy the year playing for Suncoast. Work out which of the guys are willing to work on and off the park and reward and play them. Too many were too happy to cruise along this year.

Good luck to him, can obviously see his reasons for wanting to coach the lions.

Only thing is, he hasn't been exactly consistent in his motivation. Would definitely have benefited from working at the Eagles for a couple of years.

They had to move quick on this one. Vossy was set to move his family to WA in November and would have been very shortly organising the move. They couldn't afford to waste any time.

I can understand people being a little concerned that we didn't go through the due process but Voss was going to be the man at Carlton 12 months ago, a club that did go through the due process and found him to be the best candidate.

Taking an untried coach is a risk but a risk that had to be made and I'm wrapt with the decision.

I was definitely shocked at the speed of the announcement, and it certainly gives the illusion that little consideration was given to alternatives. Given the expectation that a Brisbane coach needs to have a high profile, in all likelyhood, Voss was going to be the result no matter what... did we need the club to fake a selection process to look like they were taking the traditional approach.

A few random points that I can't be bothered putting into structured arguments...

- Drawn out committee procedures do not always give the optimum result

- I'm shocked at people saying the club took the easy option... this seems to be the ultimate balls-on-the-line option to me.

- Lets wait and see what arrangements are made in terms of assistants. We may witness a more democratic coaching structure where Vossy takes a more of a figurehead role. Kind of how NFL clubs do it.

- Voss has big coconut sized balls. He is fully aware of the pressure and scrutiny he is about to be subjected to, and will look to make a statement early (just like he did so many times on the field). He will end some Lions careers very quickly once he arrives.

Carlton haven't exactly been a model of success in recent times though and I am not sure I would trust much their football department did.

That being said you would have to think we would have a fair idea what to expect with Vossy and I would have expected him to be right at the top of the succession plan for quite some time and a little bit of DD having been done previously.

- Lets wait and see what arrangements are made in terms of assistants. We may witness a more democratic coaching structure where Vossy takes a more of a figurehead role. Kind of how NFL clubs do it.

You reckon TBD. I don't think Vossy ever has taken a figurehead approach to his football. I am expecting that he will let the assistants do their job but he will definately be steering the ship.

He was a young captain and grew into the role superbly. I am hoping for much the same as a coach. Start out and take guidance but understand that he is going to have his kahoonies on the line so he may as well make the calls that drive that responsibility.

You reckon TBD. I don't think Vossy ever has taken a figurehead approach to his football. I am expecting that he will let the assistants do their job but he will definately be steering the ship.

He was a young captain and grew into the role superbly. I am hoping for much the same as a coach. Start out and take guidance but understand that he is going to have his kahoonies on the line so he may as well make the calls that drive that responsibility.

I probably could have chosen my words better, by figurehead, I didn't mean in a ceremonial fashion. He will definitely be in a driving role, but he is probably for example going to let Leppa (or whoever coaches our backs under Voss) to play a big role in determining defensive structures etc.

Voss is a born leader and will be just that, but I don't think he will be closed minded to suggestions and insight from others.

I would think that Voss would spend alot of the next month working on principles/values that will underpin the success of our club and his coaching style. This is most likely to be developed with his coaching team, giving all members of the coaching team ownership over the direction of the club. I would suggest our game plan will become more possession focussed as mentioned by someone previously. But Voss will want to play a free flowing corridor style game of football. I would hope our work at the stoppages, centre clearances and front and centre will improve under Voss. I would think that as a young coach Vossy will be very hands on, i will definitely make the effort to attend some training sessions next year to see how involved he gets in the sessions.

I think our younger players will appreciate a generational change in communication philosophies.

bit stunned down here in good old tassie ! you guys gone mad up there in the sun ??
firstly good on ya vossey , loved ya as a player and hope to as a coach

but this decision may has been made well before yesterday as was leighs retirement. i think this situation was set up months ago or maybe brought to a head by browny signing or not ! could he have said ill sign but only under voss ????????? we will never know

whats done is done we needed a good kick and a new vision and we have it its name is

VOSS

there is something troubling me at the moment. If as they say Leigh approached the club about succession planning 6 months ago and Vossy was part of that why was Vossy not given an assistant coach role for 2009 as part of the succession?

Instead he is able to sign a 2 year deal with West Coast as an assistant and still no offer from the Lions and then has to come in as senior with no apprenticeship served anywhere.

Am I making sense? Hard to explain.

Was not sold on the idea yesterday that Voss was the man, but after the news today, coupled with Brown re-signing, I am rather optimisitc and excited at what lay ahead.

As a club, it is Brisbane Lions' 13th season, and whilst unlucky for some, I
am sure it will be lucky for us under the great man.

If reports are anything to go by, the club, along with Leigh had already begun planning Vossy's succession as coach over 6 months ago, albeit a year prematurely, so I don't think we should be too concerned at the speed with which his appointment took place.

A few tough decisions to be made and after hearing him speak today, he is obviously under no illusions that he can make them. What will be interesting over the coming weeks/months is who is support crew will be and if he appoints an elder stateman/mentor.

there is something troubling me at the moment. If as they say Leigh approached the club about succession planning 6 months ago and Vossy was part of that why was Vossy not given an assistant coach role for 2009 as part of the succession?

Instead he is able to sign a 2 year deal with West Coast as an assistant and still no offer from the Lions and then has to come in as senior with no apprenticeship served anywhere.

Am I making sense? Hard to explain.
I was thinking like you too...but having seen the press conference a few times now, I get the impression that maybe they didn't tell Vossy seeing as they had no takeover date to go by........

Or he knew but had to make a decision in the meantime about assist. coaching until Leigh left (not knowing when that was)..

I am so comfortable with all this...for 2 reasons

1: Recommended for the job by the best = Leigh Mathews

2: Coached,guided, groomed by the best = Leigh Mathews

:D:D:D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was definitely shocked at the speed of the announcement, and it certainly gives the illusion that little consideration was given to alternatives. Given the expectation that a Brisbane coach needs to have a high profile, in all likelyhood, Voss was going to be the result no matter what... did we need the club to fake a selection process to look like they were taking the traditional approach.

Do you reckon it's an illusion? But I do agree that Voss was always going to be at the front of the wish-list. Doesn't make it right though in terms of football. Again my concern is that this is a decision made by a board scared of the new team down the road. Look, it's a tough balancing act and those among us who know the landscape up here can't be ignorant of the fact that the coach needs to have a profile up here and that part of their job is to grow the game up here. I don't envy their position, having to make that call. I just don't agree with the way they've, at face value, gone about it. I'm happy to admit there may be a bit we don't know.

A few random points that I can't be bothered putting into structured arguments...

- Drawn out committee procedures do not always give the optimum result

True, but they arguably give better results than rushed ones on average. It's like hoping to find a gold ring with a metal detector, but only looking in the bit of beach near the car park.

- I'm shocked at people saying the club took the easy option... this seems to be the ultimate balls-on-the-line option to me.

It was an easy option I think, insofar as to the corporate side of things and the wider views of the non-AFL-following sporting public in Qld is concerned (which I guess flows to the corporate side of things). Agreed it is pretty ballsy at the same time WRT the football side of things.

- Voss has big coconut sized balls. He is fully aware of the pressure and scrutiny he is about to be subjected to, and will look to make a statement early (just like he did so many times on the field). He will end some Lions careers very quickly once he arrives.

An inside source on the balls? :D But, yeah, I've no doubt he's aware of the enormity of the job.

A couple of my own points/questions:

- Did the AFL have anything to do with this decision?

- WRT to succession planning, did we already have a short list and a few of those said they wouldn't be interested in the move north (I wouldn't expect this given it's a senior coaching gig, but you never know) or weren't able to get into the role as quickly as we wanted to (obviously some assistants we may be interested in have sides that are preparing for finals)?

- We often look at the risk/benefit associated with drafting players, but the same is rarely looked at for coaching. OK, I'm playing devils advocate there. IMO the risks associated with failure are pretty high up here in Queensland - hence agreeing with TBD's ballsy read on the situation.

- Won't Donna be happy?

- Won't Donna be happy?

Heard Vossy being interviewed on 612ABC on my way home from uni. Said that he had pulled the kids out of their school here and they were enrolled at a school in Perth, they've lost their spot on the list back here.

Donna might be a bit cranky.

I wasn't shocked at all about the speed or decision made. I tried to give clues in my couple of posts last night that I knew this had been discussed some time during the year at Board level, & was sure Voss would get it. Just a shame that I didn't realise they were betting on it till 3pm yesterday & by then it had been stopped.

The decision ..........I'm probably in the TFB, POBT, etc corner, although probably not quite as strongly. I would have probably preferred the 'process' be completed, but I guess there is no stand out experienced coach at the moment & the Board got the man they were after.

I think part of my doubt comes from the past eg. Bernie Quinlan. Its bloody hard to see a guy that you have idolised struggle at this cut-throat game of coaching, especially back at the club where they made the name for themselves. I don't know if its more concern that he will struggle with the job, or I'm just loathed to have a similar experience to the downhearted one with Bernie.

Obviously Vossy is keen & excited by the prospect, & I'm sure that Lethal would be there for him as a sounding board if required. Sometimes in life you need to roll the dice & I believe we have done this.

The final point being that I wonder if an experienced past coach will be placed into an assistant role. I know this had also been discussed through the year, so it will be interesting to see what transpires. I just hope it doesn't become an old boys club, as we may need some 'outside' ideas to keep up with the pace.

Heard Vossy being interviewed on 612ABC on my way home from uni. Said that he had pulled the kids out of their school here and they were enrolled at a school in Perth, they've lost their spot on the list back here.

Ten bucks on the school taking his kids back!

Shoot that would be pretty bad. I don't think anyone should be around a fuming Donna Voss. Hang in there Donna you won't have to move after all. :thumbsu:

So far all the negatives on here are the same few and the positives have grown with every second post.

The idea of Vossys Lions v Buckleys Pies is one I'm sure whoevers selling AFL TV rights next time up is wetting their pants over. The fact that Carlton did go through process and select Voss. The fact that Voss is not too long from the game and likely still fit enough to go at good training pace with his charges. etc. etc. etc.

From a lot of angles this decision has the potential to be the catalyst for some exciting times. The support staff recruitment is going to be critical to cover the one real concern that keeps coming up. Experience.

Get McRae back to the club, he's a fantastic communicator. A wise head into the football directors role (I still think Blight is a good idea though if Leigh stays on like that I'll be quite happy). Someone mentioned Kennedy needs to be replaced, spot on. Our endurance and strength were both seriously questioned this year and found wanting. A good preseason under the list we have after it's cleaned up and draft picks to come. I'm liking it the more I think about it.

VOSS' LIONS ARE BACK

This is sooooo exciting. There was lots of cheering in our household tonight when we got home and found out. You are a champion in every way Michael Voss and I am so glad you are back with us, where you belong. If you coach the same way you played then we'll have no worries. You are a CHAMPION!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss It Is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back