MVP Voting R2 vs Geelong Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will as usual leave the votes for people at the game.
But please allow something for Scull's running power,the TV people are now starting to talk about it.

Always an interesting argument about the relative value of the grunt work inside versus outside midfielder. I have to give the BOG to Scully today because I thought his all round game was great - he stuck some tackles, his kicking was more precise than usual, and he just gave us so much run.

5 - Tom Scully: just a great all round performance, much maligned but he really drove our run today IMO.
4 - Ryan Griffen: probably the best game I've seen from him for GWS; hard-bodied presence, tackles, and that final match-steadying goal.
3 - Toby Greene: I can start thinking of reasons why about half a dozen players could be in any order for these final spots, but Toby's grunt work and tackling were almost equal to Griff's in getting us ball and locking down the Cats mids.
2 - Shane Mumford: aggressive and gave us belief in the clearance work; his tackling today was fierce.
1 - Rory Lobb - if the bigfella could kick goals after he takes marks in the forward 50, he'd get more kudos. But he just beats out Stevie J for the point from me because of the 3 huge marks he took in defence in the second half - reckon he saved our bacon a few times.

Honourable mentions to Stevie J (I thought he had a very good game against his old club), Josh Kelly (really starting to look impressive and getting a greater possession count each game) & Nathan Wilson (just love his counterattack from defence, and kicked that first goal to get us started, even though his stats were down a bit today).

I will as usual leave the votes for people at the game.
But please allow something for Scull's running power,the TV people are now starting to talk about it.

I was at the game, and Scully's running game was immense, cannot understate the part he played today.

5 Griff - involved all day, and whenever we were under pressure, he popped up
4 Scully - he played the sort of game I imagined he was always capable of playing, covering the ground, getting into the gaps, presenting as an option, re-presenting
3 Greene - must be the best game he has played in a long, long time
2 Kelly - the smooth operator
1 Johnson - just for the entertainment value!

I watched on telly but i still give points

5. Mumford..No mummy no win
4. Scully...probably still running
3. Griff...Best game for the club to date
2. Lobb...some big plays at both ends, could be this years breakout
1. WHE..finally takes his chance....and mark of the year

I'll get my votes in once I've watched a replay (was out for the first half) but in the meantime General Giant tweeted me the following....

@Ichabod_Noodle sorry mate. I got 3 weeks this time.
Again for picks?
5- Scully 4- Griff 3- Mummy 3- Lobb 2- Greene 1- Johnson

So it seems he'll be back before Jeremy Cameron.

Been at what I think are all three of our best wins, the Swans, Hawks and this one..
Swans still # 1 for me, but this isn't far behind.

5 Greene, Easily his best game for us
4 Scully, I don't rate the guy as highly as some, but really impacted the result
3 Mumford, He literally scared the opposition away from the contest
2 Marchbank, Was immense, no coincidence that the tide turned literally as he came off injured
1 Griffen, I watched him rip us a new one at the same ground a couple of years ago, today he did it for us, dominant.

Last edited:
This thread will be an interesting read this week. There were a lot of great individual performances which all influenced the game in different ways. I'm interested to hear how different posters interpret/rank the importance of those influences.

For me:

5 - Scully. Another superhuman effort with his elite fitness. The work that he puts in to run 100m+ to get himself in position to take the next possession over and over again is super impressive. He was also still going strong in the final qtr when most on the field were running on empty tanks.

4 - Griff. Easily his best game for us so far. He really kept us in it early when Geelong were throwing everything at us and set the tone for the midfield brigade for the rest of the day.

3 - Mumford. Just brutal. Reminded me of the hawks game last year when he just bashed their midfield. I hope Treloar was watching this - too late to come back now son.

2 - Wilson. Kicked a ripper from about 50 out to get things started for us on the scoreboard after weathering the Geelong start. Worked hard to create options out of the backline and his booming kick kept beating the Cats defensive flood down the ground giving our forward line several even money chances.

1 - Lobb. Could have been any number of players here but have to go with my man Rory. Presented well all day and when the ball hits those massive mits of his, it just about always sticks.

5 - Mumford The goal just before halftime creating some breathing space and his tackling, some of the young small swans will stay out of his way this week
4 - Scully
3 - Griffen
2 - Greene
1 - Johnson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5 - Sculls - not just his running, he is making some great decisions out there too
4 - Uncle Toby - great turn around from last week, so much better when in close using quick hands
3 - Mummy - only Goldstein is better, but I'd rather my mummy every day!
2 - Griff - best game for us so far
1 - SJ - snaps, marks, big hits, all sorts of other crazy shit....stay fit buddy, you're too much fun

Honourable mentions to Lobb and Wilson. Loved their games too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back